Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
that looks rather good for this neck of the woods. This is totally at odds with the BBC this morning - they were saying Dorset, Surrey, Sussex, London. Interesting....i shall be watching this closely. Both 00z and 06z have had the precip further north and west.

Btw I have a question for you. What was the maximum snow depth in Abingdon this week? The Enforcer claims that it hasn't snowed there (except for once in 15 years), in fact he does this all the time. Is he right?

Posted
There is a new ailment sweeping the weather community, "obsessive snow disorder" meaning the preoccupation with snow, wanting more and more snow when one has had enough :)

Haha, so true.

Ive just had 4 days off college due to snow, I fancy the Friday off! :lol:

Complete waste of time going for 1 day..

Posted
Btw I have a question for you. What was the maximum snow depth in Abingdon this week? The Enforcer claims that it hasn't snowed there (except for once in 15 years), in fact he does this all the time. Is he right?

ha ha ha! No, it's true - until last night i had a max of 3cm on Monday which melted in the afternoon. Last night the shield was definitely broken (although he is 4 miles away from me!). It is rubbish here for showery easterly or northerly regimes and it seems only frontal snow really falls. I believe 1991 was good but i didn't live here then. I lived here 5 years and seen two snow events (last night) and some really wet stuff two years ago that melted instantly.

Posted
ha ha ha! No, it's true - until last night i had a max of 3cm on Monday which melted in the afternoon. Last night the shield was definitely broken (although he is 4 miles away from me!). It is rubbish here for showery easterly or northerly regimes and it seems only frontal snow really falls. I believe 1991 was good but i didn't live here then. I lived here 5 years and seen two snow events (last night) and some really wet stuff two years ago that melted instantly.

That sounds awful! I'm sure the Oxford Uni prospectus had pictures of Oxford in deep snow. Although there is no doubt that Cambridge must be a lot snowier.

Btw there is a major change in the front. It's moving due W very suddenly - stalling.

Edited by Yeti

Posted

Here in Milton Keynes we are still having very light snow...amazing really...snow house has been built big enough for my 13 & 10 year old!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nothing more than the odd flake currently, i thought there was snow coming up from the South not long ago?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
Light sleety snow in Aylesbury at the moment. Temps up to 2.5. Hoping the cold air will start to move in from the north to stop the slow thaw.

No sign of colder air here, temp rising - now at 0.1 with a dp of -0.4 so getting marginal! Still snowing at the mo though...

Posted

meto weather warning out for south and east midlands...60% chance severe weather and further heavy snow between early hours Friday through to 3pm...wow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ugh this is getting pathetic now, Radar says we should be having at least light snow but we have nothing...it was wrong earlier aswell. :lazy:

Any reports of good snowfall in Worcestershire?

Posted

East Midlands:60% Northamptonshire

Heavy Snow 0200 Fri 6 1500 Fri 6

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern and eastern England on Friday. Periods of snow will be heavy at times and will give accumulations of 5 to 10 cm over large areas and locally 15 to 20 cm over high ground. This is likely to cause disruption to travel.

Issued at: 1141 Thu 5 Feb

lol a little further north please, if that were to make it here things would start to be unbelievable we already have the deepest snow here for more than 10years

the odd flake coming down here, based on the radar though its not going to be worth looking out for.

East Midlands: Leicester

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Nottingham

Nottinghamshire

Rutland

Heavy Snow Fri 6 Feb

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event continuing to affect parts of southern and eastern England. Periods of snow are likely and may give accumulations of 2 to 5 cm, perhaps 5 to 10 cm on hills.

Issued at: 1138 Wed 4 Feb

I prefer the amounts on the northampton warning but im not to fussed.

Posted
East Midlands:60% Northamptonshire

Heavy Snow 0200 Fri 6 1500 Fri 6

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern and eastern England on Friday. Periods of snow will be heavy at times and will give accumulations of 5 to 10 cm over large areas and locally 15 to 20 cm over high ground. This is likely to cause disruption to travel.

Issued at: 1141 Thu 5 Feb

lol a little further north please, if that were to make it here things would start to be unbelievable we already have the deepest snow here for more than 10years

Great stuff! Weve already got 20cm lying here in northants... and just started snowing again :D

Posted

At last, flurries getting a bit heavier now.

Posted

post-6740-1233835048_thumb.jpg

post-6740-1233835077_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics from here. unfortunately you cant get a very good idea how deep it is from these.

Posted
Great stuff! Weve already got 20cm lying here in northants... and just started snowing again :D

20cm are you sure? Nearest report was 11cm this morning. Ruler please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Could be the curse of the worcestermetre, 3 inches here this morning, whats that, about 10-12cm?

Posted
doesnt look great here for snow now, although GFS suggests snow

Sadly I think thats our lot..

Just to the East of me it looks like it'll be..bit frustrating..

Then again, theres a snow warning out there for East Midlands...and then Herefordshire?

Which would leave us inbetween.

Posted

Warning out for tomorrow now. Upgraded to a Be Prepared:

Heavy Snow Fri 6 Feb

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern and eastern England and southeastern Wales. Periods of snow may give accumulations of 2 to 5 cm over large areas and up to 10 cm over high ground.

Issued at: 1148 Thu 5 Feb

Posted

Lol if you cant trust someone from a ruler measurement then there are problems :D

Flurries getting a bit heavier here now but still pretty pathetic.