Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

bbc news just had someone in leicestershire who said "you should make the most of it now because this snow will soon turn to sleet, and rain." well think thats open to debate considering places further south had snow not long ago. I think if we get til 4pm without any sleet or rain we will be ok, night will help bring temps down along with the falling upper air temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just saw Bradgate Park in Leicester on the main BBC news, she said make the most of it because it is going to turn to sleet, hmmm I hope she was wrong. Still snowing moderately here.

Posted

Its moderate here now. Its not getting worse but its not slowing down either. I dont think it can make its mind up :doh:

Posted
bbc news just had someone in leicestershire who said "you should make the most of it now because this snow will soon turn to sleet, and rain." well think thats open to debate considering places further south had snow not long ago. I think if we get til 4pm without any sleet or rain we will be ok, night will help bring temps down along with the falling upper air temps.

LOL snap!

Posted
GENERAL SITUATION ACROSS THE UK

Frontal systems tied into low pressure to the south-west have introduced heavy falls of snow across parts of the Midlands. Warmer air has been introduced to the south-east, although this is unlikely to make significant in-roads across the UK. If anything, the boundary between the warm and cold air has the potential for further falls of snow with Northamptonshire sitting firmly within the battle ground.

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

The county has woken up to an extensive blanket of snow. Up to 17cm of snow currently lies at Pitsford and transport across the county has largely ground to a halt. Only main roads are passable this morning and motorists are urged to take extreme caution with the best advice to stay at home and avoid unnecessary journeys. The heaviest of the snow has cleared the county towards Lincolnshire, although there will remain the potential for further snow or sleet showers throughout the day, these tending to be light. Temperatures today will climb to just 1C with a mainly light north-easterly breeze. Overnight lows will fall to around freezing. Snow showers will continue overnight becoming heavier later.

OUTLOOK

We are looking at the potential for another heavy fall of snow once again tomorrow morning across the county. A further 5 to 10cm could be possible and travel may well be disrupted once again. The snow will gradually clear south-eastwards during the day with much of the afternoon and evening staying dry with even the possibility of some sunshine coming through. Highs during the day will reach just 1C. However, with the clear skies will be a hard frost overnight. As lows fall to -3C ice will become a real danger. As for the weekend it should stay mostly dry across the county, any further falls of snow confined to the east coast. There will be some good spells of sunshine, moreso through Saturday as the region comes under the influence of a ridge of high pressure. Highs will climb to around 2 or 3C with another hard frost expected overnight Saturday. As a band of rain works eastwards into Monday morning we could see further wintry showers and the potential for further snow for short while.

http://www.brixworth.demon.co.uk/updates/weather7.htm

Which areas?

Posted

I've just checked the Met office forecast for the west Midlands and their forecasting this Snow to turn to a more wintry mix. :( Surely this can't be right, can it? :doh:

Headline:

Further outbreaks of snow.

Today:

There will be further outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow during the morning, possibly heavy in places, but it will turn to rain and become lighter and more patchy in the afternoon period. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Tonight:

Rain, sleet and snow overnight with the possibility of further local snow accumulations. Feeling very cold with temperatures freezing or close to freezing. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Also that Precipitation down in South Wales atm, is moving NE, so it might reach the west Midlands later. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

That Precpitation in Wales looks likely to miss us just again.

Meanwhile the snow here is still going even though the radar suggests it shuld of ended about now.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Just saw Bradgate Park in Leicester on the main BBC news, she said make the most of it because it is going to turn to sleet, hmmm I hope she was wrong. Still snowing moderately here.

Yes I just saw her lol, a bit OTT.

Looks like you could be getting a pasting tonight again Andy.

Posted
Anyone South of me reporting snow still? Hinckley, Warwick, Northants?

Still snowing in Daventry according to local radio, seems to have stopped here for the time being or very very light at least.

Posted

moderate snow here, temp is 0.3 and dew point still steady at -0.74 :doh:

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather...p.jsp?client=13

Taking the temp and humidy from there

http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/index.html

working out my dew point there.

Providing there correct still ok at the min.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Im in Hockley in Central Birmingham, it has been snowing here for about 45 minutes but it does seem quite sleety in nature... a few heavier bursts of snow at times though!

Posted
Yes I just saw her lol, a bit OTT.

Looks like you could be getting a pasting tonight again Andy.

Cheers mate, it looks VERY close again though, the PPN makes it about as far north as Leicestershire and thats about it on the UKMO precip, the GFS precip gives me a bit more hope though, slightly further North.

Did you get any snow from this band moving North this morning? It looks to have died out now around Harrogate.

Posted
Cheers mate, it looks VERY close again though, the PPN makes it about as far north as Leicestershire and thats about it on the UKMO precip, the GFS precip gives me a bit more hope though, slightly further North.

Did you get any snow from this band moving North this morning? It looks to have died out now around Harrogate.

Yep we had another 4cm although this stalled and fizzled out over us. This is my back garden now:

post-5260-1233840119_thumb.jpg

Quite a decent event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Flakes are getting even smaller here. What a let down.

That stuff in France looks like it is coming this way currently but fat chance of that happening.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Any kind souls reading this thread that are located on or near the lickeys, can you please tell me what the conditions are like on the tops ? I was planning to head up there later.

Melting snow ?

Temperature ?

A38 Passable ?

Posted
Yep we had another 4cm although this stalled and fizzled out over us. This is my back garden now:

post-5260-1233840119_thumb.jpg

Quite a decent event.

Very nice. Bit worried here now, an online weather station which is 3 miles East of me is reporting dew point of 0.2 and ground temp of 0.7, thats seriously close to turning sleety, in fact what is falling now is probably very wet snow :doh: If that temp reaches 1c this afternoon (which I think it will) then any precip will turn to drizzle and thaw out the snow.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
Anyone South of me reporting snow still? Hinckley, Warwick, Northants?

Sorry fella not in warwick :mellow:

Posted
Flakes are getting even smaller here. What a let down.

That stuff in France looks like it is coming this way currently but fat chance of that happening.

That stuff over France is whats heading towards the Midlands tonight, supposed to be here in about 6 hours time...

ukprec.png

Posted

Temp here up to 3.2 degrees. Dew point 1.9

No precipitation at all now. Had light snow at 12:30 with temp at 2.3 degrees.

I've got to drive to Heathrow tomorrow morning at 5:00am. Not looking forward to it given the forecast...

Posted

well the bbc killed off our chances of anything tomorrow morning andy. northern edge being northampton