Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted

temperatures rose to 1c quickly after the snow left but id say in about an hour theyll be on there way back down. still some snow about.

Posted

Snow turned to rain and alot of the snow has thawed now. Hard to believe that we had nearly 4 inches of snow a couple of hours ago and its nearly all gone now. Even at 200ft the snow had turned to rain. Ah well it was great while it lasted. A week long event and plenty of snow so i'm happy.

Posted

its raining here at 1c and about 2 hours ago it was snowing heavily and lying at jjust a degree below i cant understand this but id expect the rain to t. urn to snow by 7 or 8 as the temperatures will be under zero then. could anyone tell me why this is happening its so annoying its always happening this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Had snow from around 11am to 3pm...got fairly heavy....left a covering but it quickly melted when the snow stopped, still patches in the grass and nooks and crannys. I think we ended up with a few cm maximum but its our first lying snow all winter so at least its something.

Posted

I took a trip up to the Mourne Mountains yesterday and there is a lot of snow up there, especially in the Western side around Bearnagh and Spelga Dam. Some truly spectacular scenes - including frozen waterfalls and hundreds of icicles :huh: Here's a few of the pics I took - there are LOADS more!:

quarryIcicles.jpg

throughTheIcicles.jpg

whiteIciclesRedRock.jpg

spelgaDam.jpg

snowyRoad.jpg

Posted

Execellent pics Snowjon....stunning and very wintry...never seen the Mournes like that before.

Posted

Yeh, its clouded over here now, temps have risen. last thing I expected, very rare for showers to make it across here. :wacko:

Light spots of rain(?) in the wind. Dublin airport reporting sleet. The place was starting to turn all ice rink outside with a major freeze up of all the wet surfaces beginning. I hope these showers clear out of the way quickly, the only thing they'll do is melt the frost. :(

Wind has increased big time also! Very odd.

Its now getting heavier, large drops from a mostly clear sky. :o

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted
Yeh, its clouded over here now, temps have risen. last thing I expected, very rare for showers to make it across here. :wacko:

Light spots of rain(?) in the wind. Dublin airport reporting sleet. The place was starting to turn all ice rink outside with a major freeze up of all the wet surfaces beginning. I hope these showers clear out of the way quickly, the only thing they'll do is melt the frost. :(

Wind has increased big time also! Very odd.

Its now getting heavier, large drops from a mostly clear sky. :o

moon out now

Posted

The radar shows all the light stuff moving into the Dublin area, passing through Meath and North Kildare.

A couple of heavier features are moving through Laois and Tipp, heading for Wicklow, Kilkenny and Carlow. Usually these things fizzle out well before the east coast, especially when the winds are light. There could be more snow to come for higher ground over the next few hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Snowjon - Pics taken in Mournes are spectacular particularly the 1st two ! Nice one !! :lol:

Posted
@ SnowJon: I took some pics of the Mournes yesterday afternoon from afar:

Picture_034-small.jpg

Picture_035-small.jpg

Brilliant, wish I had been able to take a hike up there...but unfortunately I don't drive :D .

Its like something you'd see on a proper huge mountain, not little old Slieve Donard which doesn't even make 1000m.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

hi yer iam just new on hows the snow in iland just waning to know :lol:

hi BFS/BHD i were just wondring wha the weather is like over were you live is it snowing i louve snow

Posted

Those photos of the Mournes look great. The Mournes are certainly beautiful at any time of the year and look even more spectacular in the snow and ice. They're nice mountains to go walking in indeed, just as I did last August.

As far as Ireland is concerned, I think this is the end of the cold snap for the time being. I don't think there'll be any snow at all this week and temps will gradually rise somewhat as we get into next weekend. There will be some night frosts to contend with but that's about it.

I have a feeling in my bones that there might be another brief cold snap (with some snow) towards the end of Feb/early March and then that'll be it really for this winter.

I'm going skiing in Poland next week anyway, so I'll have some 'real' snow there! :D

Edited by Likewhatever

Posted

Personally, I think their will be a few hefty snow showers in the North somewhere, but getting towards the weekend drier but most certainly not that less cold.

The GFS ensembles are quit simply remarkably cold and after the brief settled spell I figure in a proper Greeland High for a bitterly cold snowy end to the winter.

Posted
The GFS ensembles are quit simply remarkably cold

They really are! The agreement for cold between Thursday and Sunday is remarkable IMO, with a just a couple of crazy ones going off randomly on their own, including the operational. The operational is the only one that actually rises through Friday and Saturday!

Dublin Ensembles

Posted

Lol, look at them ensembles.....where'd they come from. -10c uppers this weekend, maybe even the whole way through rest of the month if the mean comes off.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
Snow scene yesterday morning outside my house

post-2637-1234175106_thumb.jpg

Hello John

Wonderful pic - so pleased you have got snow :D

And to all you other Irish members too!! :lol:

Regards

Tamara

Posted
Snow scene yesterday morning outside my house

Thats much deeper than what I got here, and I cant be too far from you.

I took a few photos, but it was such a slight dusting that the double yellow lines at the side of the road were still visible, with the layer of yellow paint actually sticking up through the snow! :D

It started metling after half an hour, of course. :o

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Thanks you Tamara,

Its a joy for me to be able to combine my two favorite pastimes, Meteorology and photography.

Our Irish snow was not as much as your UK snow but at least we got our fare share of it here on the east coast. We have been waiting many years which makes it all the sweeter :lol:

How much snow did you get?

Hello John

Wonderful pic - so pleased you have got snow :lol:

And to all you other Irish members too!! :ph34r:

Regards

Tamara

Hi Dabrigg,

Sorry you did not get as much as us in Palmerstown. The winter is not over yet and I have little doubt the we will get the goods again later in the month.

A little tip on the photo taking. I took the photo very low on the ground, 6" above, with a wide angle lens. This gives a more dramatic effect and give the impression of a bigger fall of snow than it was. :ph34r:

Thats much deeper than what I got here, and I cant be too far from you.

I took a few photos, but it was such a slight dusting that the double yellow lines at the side of the road were still visible, with the layer of yellow paint actually sticking up through the snow! :lol:

It started metling after half an hour, of course. :lol: