Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted

Some light relief, the following links are a series of BBC weather bloopers - enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq_5VeBdNBM - compilation from bbc 3

(my personal favourite)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtEmhMfz7M...feature=related - Schafernaker strop

- another Schafernaker classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S775bSk9lwQ...feature=related - dead ringers

Hot*Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Gotten very breezy recently Kevin, although it's pretty clear at the moment, I suggest still it's too warm to settle here if it makes it, with the air temperature at 1.6C

Interestingly across the Wirral in Bebington it's -0.2C so if it made it there it might settle! That would be a bizarre sight indeed!

Posted

Currently:

0.5deg C.

Fog or mist.

Still a slight covering of snow ableit not very much.

Some ice patches forming.

Posted

PPN has been falling as sleet and mostly rain over the last hour and more -

(1) It was'nt forecasted, at most expect the odd brief shower otherwise clear spells, frost and ice.

(2) It has'nt fallen as snow (?)

(3) Ironiclly it has washed away any fallen snow.

(4) It has just started to clear away.

I my location the last week has now produced two nights (both Sunday's) where we have had a dusting of snow (ie/ less than ahalf an inch) that has rapidly melted away.

Hot*Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

We recieved snow showers on a off through the night just after 2am which to my surprise were HUGE flakes for a change the showers wernt persistant so it has only been enough to cover the road and paths etc which was nice. If they had carried on non stop it would have been mayhem on the roads this morning. Some roads on my journey home were untreaded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Good news and bad news guys.

The band will reach us tonight but it will be RAIN according to the beeb.

(or so i have read on another site,can anyone confirm this grim news).

not according to bbc beta weather mate, shows snow

Just watched the bbc forecast and unfortunately it looks like RAIN here possibly turning to wet snow as it heads back SE,thats no good to me as my snowcover will melt in the heavy rain.

Oh dear.

That's the plan. I will put the snowshield on full power tonight to make sure none of the pesky white stuff sneaks through.

Posted

Manchester Airport TAF

Becoming

from 09 at 20 UTC to 09 at 23 UTC

Wind 10 kt from east/northeast

Visibility 6000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft

light rain snow

Probability 30%

from 09 at 22 UTC to 10 at 04 UTC

Visibility 3000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 600 ft

rain snow and light snow

Liverpool Airport TAF

Becoming

from 09 at 20 UTC to 09 at 23 UTC

Wind 10 kt from north

Visibility 6000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft

light rain snow

Probability 30%

from 09 at 22 UTC to 10 at 04 UTC

Visibility 4000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 800 ft

rain snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hmmm

This is going to be a nighmare trying to forecast,How far North it will reach ETC

I Do feel at this stage Sout hern pennines,Cheshire,and South Merseyside will be worst

Effected but even here i think it will be a Rain to Snow Event,Then all other factors have

To be taken into consideration.

Will The PPN Be heavy enough to cause any Snow Accumalations.ATM Moment I am unsure

And would welcome any coments from the more experienced Members in our Region

Posted

It's times like these that I wish I could just lift up the north west and move it just a little further south!! Unfortunately the bbc graphics this morning had snow to either side of us where we are, with rain in the middle! Never mind, I do wish we were more in the thick of things tonight but you never know, it could edge a little further north... Although without the height, I still don't stand much chance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

bbc radio cumbria said sleet and snow tonight? i doubt it as its barely going to move north of wales/north midlands

Hmmm

This is going to be a nighmare trying to forecast,How far North it will reach ETC

I Do feel at this stage Sout hern pennines,Cheshire,and South Merseyside will be worst

Effected but even here i think it will be a Rain to Snow Event,Then all other factors have

To be taken into consideration.

Will The PPN Be heavy enough to cause any Snow Accumalations.ATM Moment I am unsure

And would welcome any coments from the more experienced Members in our Region

Still so much uncertainty within 24 hours. I think areas that already have had decent snowfalls are in the right place again - a swathe from east midlands Northamptonshire across Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, West Midlands to Shropshire then into the back of beyond (mid/south Wales). Northwards into Staffordshire, Derbyshire and the Peak District, and South Yorkshire.

As for closer to home there is a chance for Cheshire, Manchester + Merseyside but there is a fair possibility that once again the easterly flow over the Pennines will disrupt the precipitation enough to diminish the preciptation making it fairly light and patchy.

This has already happened a few times in this cold spell with the showers from the east followed by the fronts from the south and TEITS posted an image from the NMM radar forecast in the winter storm thread which suggests this may happen again - heavy precipitation to the east of Cheshire and into Wales but with a nice rain/snow shadow in the middle.

So if you live in an area where the easterly wind doesn't cause a problem e.g. east Manchester then you may be OK. Here in Warrington we are in about the worst spot with usually a hole in the precipitation.

Posted

Had 4cm of fresh snow from the system that started off as snizzle at 16:00, but then got progressively heavier & ended around about 21:00. Don't know what to expect tonight........does anybody think the storm coming up from the south will make it anywhere near our region? it seems that its touch & go, and also finely balanced between rain & snow down south where it is expected........time will tell, but I got no high hopes

Edited by Storm Animal

Well at your location anything you get will most likely be snow, just a question of how heavy.

Off the hills if people don't expect anything then they won't be disappointed but might get a nice surprise.

Having said that, it's probably either going to be elation or complete desperation on here tomorrow haha!

Posted
Well at your location anything you get will most likely be snow, just a question of how heavy.

Off the hills if people don't expect anything then they won't be disappointed but might get a nice surprise.

Having said that, it's probably either going to be elation or complete desperation on here tomorrow haha!

I agree, I think elevation will be a factor in this snow event. Personally I think places like the Staffordshire Moorlands could get a decent covering, up into Buxton. Maybe some snow here, but lighter than the favoured spots further south, only time will tell, its all a guessing game at the moment

Posted
Still so much uncertainty within 24 hours. I think areas that already have had decent snowfalls are in the right place again - a swathe from east midlands Northamptonshire across Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, West Midlands to Shropshire then into the back of beyond (mid/south Wales). Northwards into Staffordshire, Derbyshire and the Peak District, and South Yorkshire.

As for closer to home there is a chance for Cheshire, Manchester + Merseyside but there is a fair possibility that once again the easterly flow over the Pennines will disrupt the precipitation enough to diminish the preciptation making it fairly light and patchy.

This has already happened a few times in this cold spell with the showers from the east followed by the fronts from the south and TEITS posted an image from the NMM radar forecast in the winter storm thread which suggests this may happen again - heavy precipitation to the east of Cheshire and into Wales but with a nice rain/snow shadow in the middle.

So if you live in an area where the easterly wind doesn't cause a problem e.g. east Manchester then you may be OK. Here in Warrington we are in about the worst spot with usually a hole in the precipitation.

Raining at the moment here mate.

I was not expecting anything till mid-afternoon. albeit rain or snow., but its been steady light rain since 9'ish. looks like the front has come in way early than expected.

Raining at the moment here mate.

I was not expecting anything till mid-afternoon. albeit rain or snow., but its been steady light rain since 9'ish. looks like the front has come in way early than expected.

Apparently the main stuff is still some way off yet and still forming out at sea. But there are some pretty intense echoes in the south west corner though which should make things interesting for you late afternoon.