Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Are We In For A Hot Summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I mentioned in another thread, May 2006 had a lot of northern blocking around midmonth- then look at how June and July went!

Posted

Interesting that people are considering this a 'cool' start to May. If you are comparing to May last year then it perhaps could be considered cool due to the difference in the way it has felt- less warm sunshine and light winds but cloud at night has kept minima above average. Up to yesterday Hadley was running at 1.7C above average for this stage of the month.

Posted
Interesting that people are considering this a 'cool' start to May. If you are comparing to May last year then it perhaps could be considered cool due to the difference in the way it has felt- less warm sunshine and light winds but cloud at night has kept minima above average. Up to yesterday Hadley was running at 1.7C above average for this stage of the month.

Away from the CET which has had warm start to May, temps are probably very close to average. This is true of Teesdale.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Its not the actual temperature that I consider cool, it's the feel of the air, cold winds, and low dewpoints that I fine out of the ordinary for May.

Posted

Yes indeed it`s feeling much colder in these strong winds thats for sure,yesterday was no exception felt really cold at 0c or below upper air,today is better with more sun, but still that nagging moderate to fresh SW wind was still there earlier.

Posted
Its not the actual temperature that I consider cool, it's the feel of the air, cold winds, and low dewpoints that I fine out of the ordinary for May.

Yes agree strong winds are not normally associated with May but when they do occur and if they have a polar origin they can make for a very cold feeling day. This is also true of a strong northerly in early June, which can still make for a 'wintry' feeling day in many spots especially on the east coast. From mid-late June onwards, although unpleasant strong winds of 'polar' origin tend to loose there chill. If anything strong winds with a polar origin in May and early June will be colder than similiar winds are the equivalent 'in feel' to what occur in mid-late october although air temps are likely to be higher than in October.