Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase 2009 Day 4 Discussion - Tx Panhandle

Paul Sherman

Posted

wow this is the first year i've been following the chases, and i've already enjoyed it so far. Despite the disappointments yesterday it was still interesting to watch online. :)

grown from nothing to a 45 dbz cell with quarter inch hail in about 20 minutes! - ok im filling up this thread again - where is everyone ?

lol, but where are the chase crew now? The camera this end is showing a dirt track and a field? :D

Keep posting anvilhead, it's nice to see updates with what's going on storm-wise :D

Posted
wow this is the first year i've been following the chases, and i've already enjoyed it so far. Despite the disappointments yesterday it was still interesting to watch online. :)

lol, but where are the chase crew now? The camera this end is showing a dirt track and a field? :D

Keep posting anvilhead, it's nice to see updates with what's going on storm-wise :D

Hi :) . Well im not the best for updates, but im griped like you so i seem to have online verbal diahorea lol. This cells just exploding on radar - not sure why they've stoped - mind you im not an expert forecaster - it might be a red herring to go tearing after this and miss the tornadoes a bit later .. seems to have developed with the intersection of 2 outflow boundaries though http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/satellite/...&duration=5 I'd say there still 20 miles away, but this is easily catchable if they did want to be on it, and any supercell wont mature to be tornadic before the first hour normaly..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

The cell near matador seemed to oulse up then die a quick death. More storms firing on the Dry Line back just N of Lubbock. Worth keeping an eye on for the next few scans to see if anything stays rooted.

Note the Towers going up on the Dryline, and the outflow boundary out ahead where these storms will form

post-1731-1241036670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gorky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Yes, some tasty looking cells shooting up west of Plainview, tracking NE.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Hi Guys

Stream is out at the Moment as I am updating here but will be back shortly when we are on the move. We are just West of Matador and the guys are taking Incredible Timelapse Video at the Moment, we are Situated right on the Dryline with Cells firing all around us, one of these is going to go Boom and we will be right under it. As Nathan says the ones further East are Pulsing but the ones on the dryline to our West look quite favourable.

Paul S

Posted

The best ones to your west do appear to be a touch north of your position so I'd try to make sure you have a good north road option. One cell has gone up very quickly indeed and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go severe quickly (although the last cell you were near died pretty fast!)

I'd try and keep a good quality north road nearby in case you go after these cells.

Posted
The best ones to your west do appear to be a touch north of your position so I'd try to make sure you have a good north road option. One cell has gone up very quickly indeed and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go severe quickly (although the last cell you were near died pretty fast!)

I'd try and keep a good quality north road nearby in case you go after these cells.

do you think they might be trigering on the outflow boundary, and then the modified air is not able to sustain them gorky ?

Posted

Just so you know, if you were to go after these cells, you are 70 miles or so from Tulia, and the storm is a little over an hour from there if it doesn't pick up speed.

Beyond Tulia, Road options become trickier around Palo Duro Canyon, but that area is flat as a pancake til you get to the canyon itself :D

Looks like another cell pulsing very close to the team now also. Probably just to their East. Shot up to 57.5dbz very quickly on the scan like the previous pulse storm

Posted

im hoping winds will stay well backed in this area - 2 hr pressure changes of 2mb recently, supercell composites are good as a consequence - I'd imagine thes cells wont pulse anymore and produce one or 2 right moving supercells, but obviousely im not sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Have they stop streaming? Not working for me.

Me neither, such a shame - could be interesting soon!

Posted

Potent looking cell showing on radar, developed rapidly, close to Matador.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Heres the latest gr3 radar zoomed in - hopefully this'll just show a link

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/anv...eather_2156.png

that cell 6 miles NE of Matador has just gone severe warned - 57dbz radar reflectivity, and now 50,000 ft or so high, showing 1.5 inch hail - also rotation marker poped up on GR3.

I bet they're loving it :)

Posted

one to the north has just gone TN warned - the one near them will follow pretty soon id imagine! - not sure if thats a hook or a developing split, id imagine a hook and meso :)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/anv...eather_2207.png

edit: cheers Paul. That stream looks fantastic!

Edited by anvilhead

Posted
Stream back up! (but still a little patchy so expect dropouts/jerkiness - not in the best region for coverage currently)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

cheers Paul. Judging by the map, they are chasing towards Matador now :)

Looking impressive even from this distance!

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Just logged on and great to see the difference in just over an hour. I see, looking at the live streaming, a great anvil - but guys clean that dead bug off the windscreen!

Posted

yep looks like a split - 2 cells showing now - dp's up to 68f in that area and winds well backed. THe right split should continue on in a good environment, unless it ingests convective gunk coming up to meet it. To my eye things could turn rapidly tornadic though http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis...es.php?sector=3

Posted

I assume they're heading to somewhere near Childress, although there are a few more cells firing up to the west of them.

Regards,

Tom.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

The quality of the streaming picture is very very good :)

Lots of fibrous cloud tops to the left of the car as they travel along. A progression from the fair weather cumulus that they were under at tea-time (our time)

The stable low level stratus clearance seems to be doing its magic today - hopefully they will see their first mothership supercell before the day is over :)

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Spotter reporting a tornado on the northern of those 2 cells north of the team. That cell formed right on the outflow boundary I picked out in the sat map earlier!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Wow, looks fantastic! Shame the internet connection there is rubbish!