Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports Uk June 09'

NL

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Slow moving thunderstorm crawled through Tyne & Wear and intensified as it moved out into the North sea,i observed at least

6 strikes/flashes and heard 10+ thunderclaps, all in all a nice early evening small thunderstorm..

Posted

Hi,

Moderate to heavy rain and thunder about every 1 min, nothing bad but a start. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yep- seconded!

Posted

Hi,

Just an update to say that it has not stopped since the last post and is now thundering even more with good % of CG in the mix. :D :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

anychance of a storm here about 10miles inland in North Cardiff?

Posted

Was out monitoring development of an intense storm over here (Cambridgeshire area), drove through a thin line and then turned around back through it, got ahead of it and spotted a large roped white funnel developing just in front of it very quickly. Lasted only 2 minutes, looked very powerful but didn't quite make it to the ground. In the rush of things the video I took didn't save!!!! But just had extreme rain and frequent lightning to follow. Very big storm - those in its wake watch out for funnels/tornados

Posted

We just had a thunderstorm and one heack of crack of thunder, no I did not have my video camera becuase im at work. But, going by the isle of wight lightning map, the fun is not over yet. Im hoping for a big one. It kind of looks like there all creeping towards my area slowly. But then i might be wrong who knows.

Posted

I find it very surprising that a radar picc with more lightning strikes than I can remember since NW showed it and hardly any reports in here.

I suppose most are in the storm thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There are remarkably few reports in the storm thread from Norfolk as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Had a thunderstorm here at around 1pm, a few forks of lightning but several more cracks of thunder. Some brief torrential rain too.

Posted

Thunder storm just passed through Colchester.

Constant thunder for a good hour to an hour and a half, very frequent lightning (at times one or more per second) from 6.30pm-ish to around 8pm. Lost power for a good while. Day tunred to night, street lights on, car lights all on and certainly didnt feel like early summer's eve with a good 2-3 hours left of daylight!

Not a terrific amount of rain, usual storm amounts, seen worse.

Lighting was a mix of cg, ic, and quite a bit of spider lightning. A fantastic show.

For those who were watching the NW Storm Chasers in the US and the vids where the lightning was constant and thunder too, exactly as it was here today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Yep, we certainly had a storm here. From about 13:00. The clouds seemed to get darker at one side but I wasnt convinced that it was going to come to anything. The base was high and it didnt really seem ominus until about 17:00 when I went to a job south of the city and finally things started to get good. I recorded quite a bit of it but I was working so was limited in what I could get. constant lightning and thunder, rain was moderate. Not much CG at all and CC were hidded in the clouds themselves. 3 or 4 loud overhead thunder. Driving around lightning was constant lasted 2 hours it didnt seem to wanna stop! A blast of heavy rain at one point got it fimed :rolleyes: . Finished work at about 8pm and got bact to the yard to see clouds swirling in different directions. Some clouds going one way some going another and so on. Very strange thing that. Anyone know what that is and why it does that? Some form of roll cloud?

Posted
Yep, we certainly had a storm here. From about 13:00. The clouds seemed to get darker at one side but I wasnt convinced that it was going to come to anything. The base was high and it didnt really seem ominus until about 17:00 when I went to a job south of the city and finally things started to get good. I recorded quite a bit of it but I was working so was limited in what I could get. constant lightning and thunder, rain was moderate. Not much CG at all and CC were hidded in the clouds themselves. 3 or 4 loud overhead thunder. Driving around lightning was constant lasted 2 hours it didnt seem to wanna stop! A blast of heavy rain at one point got it fimed :D . Finished work at about 8pm and got bact to the yard to see clouds swirling in different directions. Some clouds going one way some going another and so on. Very strange thing that. Anyone know what that is and why it does that? Some form of roll cloud?

Same thing happened here today, clouds all over the place, at one point I thought the storm once passed was coming back again as it started to rain and the clouds were heading in the opposite direction! :s Never seen anything like that before either. Was a very big storm. Check BBC website out for large hail over parts of Norfolk. I spotted a funnel cloud too earlier when it passed here, very nearly got to the ground. Long and white, would have been powerful. Very intense formation

Posted

Amazing storm here in Leeds around lunchtime. Fork lightning and torrential downpours, the street was like a river!! Usually a storm will clear the muggyness..no such joy here!

Posted

We had a storm from around 6 until 7.45, the lightning just didn't stop and the rain/hail was very heavy indeed.

Luckily I live on top of a hill, so no flooding for us.

The lightning got painful to look at after a while, so drew the blinds. Plus the Cat's came in around half an hour before it struck..............uncanny how they know!

Posted

Got caught in a belter of a storm yesterday, kicked off around 5:30pm on the a50 towards stoke on trent, very heavy rain, a very close cg strike went off as my car started shaking and the thunder was like an explosion, wasnt pleasent to drive in, when i reached my destination it rumbled on til about 7pm, not seen a storm like that for at least 2/3 years excellent stuff

Had a very localised storm(s) yesterday which basically hovered directly above us for ages. Its the last time i will ever pray for storms as ive never witnessed so many cg's with instantaneous thunder.

What on earth happened to Estofex ? I would have put our storm at least a level 1 due to the strong cg's which terrified the neighbourhood.

Does anyone know if there were lightning damage reports in the north east london / essex area ?

We had the mother :shok: of all storms on monday and ive got a possible 50 cgs on film with some pretty scary cloudscapes too.

Cant believe there are so few reports.

post-8434-1245245341_thumb.jpg

post-8434-1245245615_thumb.jpg

Edited by more_cape_please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Hi All,

Better late than never,

Here's a better pic of the funnel cloud I saw from Pitsea train station on Monday.

Big thanks to Dave Clarke for making it clearer for me!

Jo

-x-

post-8324-1245253938_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice one Jo!

Think I saw the same one, was it about 645 to 7pm on Monday Evening.

We followed the Storm and it also put down a Thickish Funnel Cloud about 3 Miles NE Of Rochford (Essex) Those Storms were certainly rotating all through their Lifecycle

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
Nice one Jo!

Think I saw the same one, was it about 645 to 7pm on Monday Evening.

We followed the Storm and it also put down a Thickish Funnel Cloud about 3 Miles NE Of Rochford (Essex) Those Storms were certainly rotating all through their Lifecycle

Paul S

Thats exctly the storm!

My train got in around then! I'd spent my whole train journey with my face pressed up against the glass hoping, especially after going through upminster and the hail. I waited outside the station for the storm to catch up with me - as it was the highest ground I had access to without having my car. And my patience paid off - there it was. I was getting such funny looks standing in the rain loosing my temper with my phone - everyone else around me running for cover!

I got so wet walking home!!

Great pics from you guys too!