IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

few showers now have just started in South Devon and South West Wales

could this be the start :doh:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Looking forward to the possible storms today as I seem to be in the main target zone. Certainly going to have my camera ready between 3pm-9pm. :doh:

Posted
It's been cloudy/hazy since 5.30 this morning... Was that supposed to happen?

Thats from the Detritus over France from earlier rain just across the Stream. This should clear out in the next few hours to leave broken clouds and Sunshine, Temps and Dewpoints are very good down here already. On many Storm days in the US We start the day under Cloudy and Misty skies, this just shows how much Instability and Power is up in the atmosphere.

Paul S

Posted
few showers now have just started in South Devon and South West Wales

could this be the start :doh:

I think so, an sferic has been detected in southern Wales and a fairly robust little cell there showing up on radar, the forecasts did say action from the word go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
after a lovely sunny start to the day.the towers are forming much faster than yesterday.

exciting day ahead i hope :D

Saw those towers on my way to work, one had a pileus cap on top and a minute later the cap was gone!

Wish I wasn't stuck in work all day :doh:

Posted
I think so, an sferic has been detected in southern Wales and a fairly robust little cell there showing up on radar, the forecasts did say action from the word go.

few turkey towers going up here to the South....up and down...well distinctive

Posted
Saw those towers on my way to work, one had a pileus cap on top and a minute later the cap was gone!

i'll keep ya updated Mark :D

Posted

That cell in south west Scotland is over me, some heavy rain and the sky is very dark but no thunder yet.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
yep, all part of the pesky cold front on the continent that's been very close-by since Friday evening! :doh:

Sat pic shows the cloud rapidly receding - give it a couple of hours and the sun should be out :)

16C / 14C respectively at the mo :D

Cheers MW

Posted

Wind convergence looks likely to be the focus of the day.

In addition to the convergence along the spine of England and the focus of convergence over east anglia it is perhaps worth pointing out that there will also be marked convergence zones near to the edinburgh/glasgow corridor in northern ireland and across wales. A weaker convergence zone moves south across the midlands during the afternoon.

It is not till later in the day though cloud tops look high enough for severe thunderstorms across the east anglia area where the greatest concern is.

As mentioned in Nick's forecast there is a dry air intrusion towards eastern areas but it begins to nipped off later in the day.

I am currently watching developments over southern Ireland and looking for any pick up in the low level jet as the surface low looks marked more developed than i would have thought.

Edited by BrickFielder

Posted

some great formations, over your workplace mark.

Posted
Cheers MW

Have to be honest I cannot see much happening around Kent today. Many of the models indicate convection occuring N of London and there seems to be a small but intense area of precip being suggested by the GFS around the wash this evening.

If possible I would take a drive up the A1 this afternoon/evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Towering clouds are high here already.

post-3297-1245056111_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Some very good convection already round here.

lets see what happens lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Today reminds me of the 21st August 2000 when most of the country "suffered" heavy showers and thunderstorms while "lucky" South Shields "escaped" with sea fog and drizzle (always wound me up no end when people used those terms to suggest I'd been extremely fortnuate to get sea fog and drizzle instead of convective storms) so it's no surprise to see South Shields with ... sea fog.

Here in Exeter although I'm not in the main storm area there is some quite impressive convection going up and already some showers on the MetO radar to the west of Exeter. Like on 22 June 2007 I think Exeter stands a good chance of seeing a mix of sun and heavy showers and perhaps the odd rumble of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Had a heavy shower here about 1/2 an hour ago, feeling very heavy with some towers towards Dartmoor.

Edited by philglossop

Posted

No convection occuring here at the moment, quiet the opposite. At the moment I have clear blue skies and lovely warm sunshine with temps at 17C, humidity at 70%.

Posted
great convection now to my S/E large nimbus clouds with quite fast growing towers's

Similar story here with convection all round, by the looks of the showers on the radar I might be in for a convective shower soon. A lot of showers breaking out all over the place now.

Posted
No convection occuring here at the moment, quiet the opposite. At the moment I have clear blue skies and lovely warm sunshine with temps at 17C, humidity at 70%.

Same here really, as my location is situated under the centre of the low im not sure im going to see much action today? would love to see something though, and my area is just inside the warning zone.

Posted

The slight northwestely flow really sucks for my area and northwestern England in general! It means all the beefy showers and thunderstorms will be over and to the east of the Pennines!

Anyway, good luck to everybody storm lover. After today, it will be uneventful to say the least!

Karyo

Posted
I overlooked the charts, i must say it's now looking very very promising for me in hull :doh:

Certainly is.

My main target zone is E Midlands/N/W E Anglia/Lincs/Humberside between 6-9pm.