Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

Can anyone give an reason why here on the south coast - where there's been nothing all day - my storm risk has jumped from 56% at 2200 on the 12z to 71% on the 18z run? Surely there is even less chance now than there was earlier?

Steve

Posted
Have spoken to the Sun Newspaper (Phillip Case). He liked the images and said they would have made it in. But it is possibly too late because all the papers are out now and they would have to reprint lots more. Phillip said there considering it though :rolleyes: I have my fingers and toes crossed.

I didn't have to e-mail them to him either, I showed Phillip (The Sun editor) Net-weather storm section.

Sent them to Lookeast. Lets see what Julie can do :D

Seasons

Nice one, how did you get in contact with him? I've tried before but never got any replys to emails!

I'm guessing you took the pictures with a decent camera? that would be handy if they wanted a higher res pic for a full page or something (and get you some cash!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I've just noticed this on the 18Z GFS - I don't know if anyone posted this yet. But I'm not surprised there were big storms with this amount of instability: -7 lifted and 1800 CAPE! Even -6 over this area.

Does anyone know what the highest recorded instability in the UK has been? Is it likely we will see another day with so much instability this summer or is that quite a rare occurrence in the UK?

ukcapeli.png

Posted
I've just noticed this on the 18Z GFS - I don't know if anyone posted this yet. But I'm not surprised there were big storms with this amount of instability: -7 lifted and 1800 CAPE! Even -6 over this area.

Does anyone know what the highest recorded instability in the UK has been? Is it likely we will see another day with so much instability this summer or is that quite a rare occurrence in the UK?

ukcapeli.png

This is pretty rare, will be one of the best of the year, we had another high 1000 ish cape incident in april actually, the 15th. Been a decent year for CAPE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Gav

Send them to the BBC As well. Last weeks Suffolk Tornado made it onto the Meto Home Page!

Was a great Convergence Zone today all the way from Lincs down to Thames Estuary. Most Funnels and Tornadoes are viewed from the West of the Storm so I am guessing Gavin was looking East. Lovely Images and still gutted we did not get a picture of my 1st Uk Funnel which extended 1/3 to the ground looking from the West, at least James was with me and can back this report up. Sod law the Uk traffic screwed me up.

Paul S

Will do Paul, cheers. Spot on there mate, I was looking East.

Thats 2 in a week for this area. Pretty impressive and probably wont happen again for a while. Although Haverhill did have a Tornado a couple of years back which ripped a Hotel roof off. I remember standing behind ITV whilst they were doing a live lunchtime report. Think it was early January 2006??

Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Just got back from some epic 'storm tracking'....on a bicycle, NOTHING! :D

Went 30 miles out b4 finding out i would have done much better staying at home,

However i did see a big yellow fork of lightning coming out of a really dark cloud on the horizon, as good as it got. :D

Sounds like you guys did much better, especially those more North East :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

FINALLY, FIRST PROPER RAINFALL ALL DAY.

That cell just moving easterly/south-easterly has just hit me head on here in South Bucks, torrential and I mean some of the heaviest and loudest rain i've heard in ages, for about 10-15 minutes, raining lighter now, no hail or thunder/lightning predictably, but at least we've had a decent type of convective rainfall today, be it without any lightning and in the dark at the end of the day.

In South Bucks though, all i've had today apart from that last torrential downpour is a very very light shower earlier on, about 4 or 5 hours ago from the edge of a storm cloud. As per usual, all the cell's missed me. The late cell that developed to the west/north west in Oxfordshire and into North Bucks missed me, heard it had some good lightning. And some massive cells developed just to the east of me, moving into west and south-west london, possibly the ones that disrupted the cricket at the oval. Even one or two heavy showers developed to the south as well in the early evening, so pretty much everything with lightning dodged me today and I didn't hear one crack of thunder. Why do storms love dodging my area? Happens summer after summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Just got back from some epic 'storm tracking'....on a bicycle, NOTHING! :D

Went 30 miles out b4 finding out i would have done much better staying at home,

However i did see a big yellow fork of lightning coming out of a really dark cloud on the horizon, as good as it got. :D

Sounds like you guys did much better, especially those more North East :rolleyes:

Posted

Sorry just to clarify my post b4 I get loads of Posts slating me.

Most Convergence Zone Funnels and Tornadoes are best viewed from the West, Whereas most Supercell Producing Tornadoes are viewed from the East , South or South East.

With regards to the Cape and LI, That is mighty impressive stuff and no wonder the Hail was quite large for Uk Standards, Very glad I chased today now as Dave says we might not get those values again this year, and it is little wonder we got so many Funnel and Tornado Reports today, I must have seen over 20 Reports today alone!!

Paul S

Posted

That would explain all the strage scud movements and clouds moving different directions on the same level I had almost overhead, and also explains why we had a massive explosion of development over my head between 2 and 3pm, the hail was getting pretty big, not golf ball sized though, I've never seen lightning so frequent and prolonged for a long time, and I can't remember the last time we had so many bolts within a mile in the space of a few minutes before, I wish I had my camera on me and I wasn't in a lesson at the time, I could have sat on the top floor of the atrium at college with a glass roof and views for miles around and filmed without getting wet. :rolleyes:

Judging by how crisp the updraft tops were and how much they were leaning over, the forecast CAPE was certainly came off, and shear must have been excellent.

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Nice one, how did you get in contact with him? I've tried before but never got any replys to emails!

I'm guessing you took the pictures with a decent camera? that would be handy if they wanted a higher res pic for a full page or something (and get you some cash!).

Cheers Ross.

I sent the Sun Newspaper an email about todays events about 10pm and Phillip Case kindly returned my e-mail at 23:00 and asked me to call him. We have each others details now, which is great. Next time I can send the pictures straight off to him rather than leaving it too late. :rolleyes::D

Yes, he that one of the pictures would have made the front page. Incredible stuff......

Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
Cheers Ross.

I sent the Sun Newspaper an email about todays events about 10pm and Phillip Case kindly returned my e-mail at 23:00 and asked me to call him. We have each others details now, which is great. Next time I can send the pictures straight off to him rather than leaving it too late. :rolleyes::D

Yes, he that one of the pictures would have made the front page. Incredible stuff......

Seasons

That must be frustrating. But what a capture! I hope it will get in a newspaper eventually..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Some great pictures on here. Well done to everyone who got storms.