Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
Was your signature picture taken in the UK?

And yeah, what weather09 said, want to see the pictures. Have some video of the storm I had but it is not very interesting, just a grey sky and then a loud rumble of thunder every minute or two for about 30-45 minutes.

Ill upload it to to youtube shortly its not very interesting. As for my sig, wishfull thinking;)

Posted

Fantastic pics seasons-The 5th pic sends a shiver down my spine-I can just imagine that leaden sky rolling towards me across the field-I wouldnt be able to control myself!

Posted

At least you dont need to come Storm Chasing now you have seen those amazing Funnels!

Send the Pics to the BBC As well, thats 2 Tornadoes in Suffolk in a Week

Paul S

Posted

Wooooohooooo, a nighttime thunderstorm here....big flash of lightning and a loud clap of thunder :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Fantastic pics seasons-The 5th pic sends a shiver down my spine-I can just imagine that leaden sky rolling towards me across the field-I wouldnt be able to control myself!

Not only was there rotation all along the cloud base, the whole storm from left to right was moving in a circle. I guess it was a Supercell. Cars driving by must have thought I was crazy because I actually got on my knees, looked up and shouted "Drop a ***** tube, you know you want to". Then it did!!!!!! LOL

Im mad but love my hobbie!!!!! :D

Some great comments from fellow chasers/storm fanatics. Thanks guys :D

Seasons

Posted
Not only was there rotation all along the cloud base, the whole storm from left to right was moving in a circle. I guess it was a Supercell. Cars driving by must have thought I was crazy because I actually got on my knees, looked up and shouted "Drop a ***** tube, you know you want to". Then it did!!!!!! LOL

Im mad but love my hobbie!!!!! :D

Some great comments from fellow chasers/storm fanatics. Thanks guys :D

Seasons

To add to my previous comments, it's a pretty big deal, that tornado picture is probabley one of the best ever taken in the UK, There are few pictures better than that really. A real acheivement, congratulations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
You must be mistaken. Nothing interesting happened here bar a 5 minute light rain shower.

Sigh. Roll on winter 09/10.

Where are you?...I was south west of the A45 around 6pm.....near Willoughby/Grandborough, lightning to the south and loud thunder

Posted
Wooooohooooo, a nighttime thunderstorm here....big flash of lightning and a loud clap of thunder :D

yes Jamie can concur , in fact about 7 flashes and rumbles and the rain commences , thought we had,had our lot for today

Edited by Vince

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Well an absolute rubbish day here, I often wonder why I even bother following the charts lol.

Still I suppose ESTOFAX got it right for me..no storms.

Geez I know I cant control the weather (Yet!!), but hell am I p*ssed off...

Posted

Theres been some damn good FC pictures coming from today, im grateful to be part of a handful of people/chasers who have seen the outbreak of FCs this afternoon. Johns and Seasons are still the best of the bunch.

Posted
Left home at 10:30 for the chase. Headed off to wards Six Mile Bottom (East Cambridge). Great location for watching storms roll in (with it being very high and flat and countryside all around you).

Nothing much was happening at this point although I knew later on this location would be ideal!

Anyway, to cut along story short :D:( I heading of towards south Norfolk, then Sandy in Bedforshire, then down the Baldock (Royston). By this time it was getting on for 15:00. Skies were reletively clear.......then BANG. Cumulonimbus clouds shot up to the east and south of my location. It was a real sight watching them rise and tower so quickly!

I knew these storms were tracking east, northeast (But developing all the time on the back edge - IMO always the severest part). So I bombed up the A505 (Doing 80mph :D ) heading east about 10 miles - watching these towers turn into a HUGE thunderstorm. Stopped just off the A505 very near Melbourne (Top of hill) in Cambridgeshire.

Here are the pictures. CG lightning was the best I have ever seen along with the cloud rotation. I witness 3 funnel clouds and 1 tornado that touched down in the countryside. It was a great day and I only wish you could have all been there, especially Paul. :)

post-1600-1245100867_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245100892_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245100950_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245100986_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101016_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101067_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101103_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101135_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101181_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101219_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101250_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101277_thumb.jpg

I hope you all like.

2010 with Paul and the team stormchasing stateside!

Seasons

Fantastic pics Seasons, also well done to everyone else who has posted pics/videos on this thread today. :(

Posted
Yeah, some fantastic pics, though I would have liked to have seen at least one vid of someone in the middle of one of the intense storms that occured today...would have made for great viewing :D

Go on youtube and type in 15th july thunderstorms, there are some on there, just look for the videos put up today. there is one from essex with some good lightning. :D

Posted

T & L SE of me in Ledbury direction at the mo. Had some stair-rods at about 10pm.

Posted
Yeah, I put in 'Thunderstorm UK' in the search bar and clicked on 'Todays uploads' and have watched quite a few of them. The best I've seen is a funnel cloud which looks to be rotating in a clockwise direction from a bloke looking out of the window. Someone on here has posted the link but I'll tryand find it again.

yep, saw that one, had a fair sift through myself lol.

Posted

Been trying to get a pic of a lightning strike just now.........

You wait with the camera ready and nothing happens for aggggges, u then take your eye from the sky for a split second, and your done for! So damn annoying! arrrgh lol :D

Just heavy rain now though......Long Crendon is getting the brunt of it, just south of me. hmmpth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Have spoken to the Sun Newspaper (Phillip Case). He liked the images and said they would have made it in. But it is possibly too late because all the papers are out now and they would have to reprint lots more. Phillip said there considering it though :D I have my fingers and toes crossed.

I didn't have to e-mail them to him either, I showed Phillip (The Sun editor) Net-weather storm section.

Sent them to Lookeast. Lets see what Julie can do :D

Seasons

Edited by Seasons

Posted

Gav

Send them to the BBC As well. Last weeks Suffolk Tornado made it onto the Meto Home Page!

Was a great Convergence Zone today all the way from Lincs down to Thames Estuary. Most Funnels and Tornadoes are viewed from the West of the Storm so I am guessing Gavin was looking East. Lovely Images and still gutted we did not get a picture of my 1st Uk Funnel which extended 1/3 to the ground looking from the West, at least James was with me and can back this report up. Sod law the Uk traffic screwed me up.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
Interestingly, batch just NW of London does not seem to be losing intensity in terms of rainfall, and still has sferics on it's southern edge.

Yep, it'll be the cell that's just hit my area South Bucks. Have just had a torrential downpour here. The first ALL DAY. Now that has cheered me up.