Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Now at least I can see something! There is a rapidly developing cell to the N and NE, Cleeve Hill direction. Very stormy-looking. Not seen any lightning as yet.

It is so FRUSTRATINGly close on the radar!

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted
Lol - I lost count in the end - But I guess Chasing these things makes it easier to get more Storms.

Started by getting to Upminster at 5pm with the Southern End of the Convergence Zone and 3 Seperate Storms cells, lovely Cg Lightning and loud booming thunder. Then James turned up and we got Marble Sized Hail which tried to trash his mums Z4! Followed the cell down the A127 Towards Southend and convieniently home, where the structure was breathtaking for the Uk, Vault region and 2 Seperate Wall clouds, stuck in a Traffic Jam so could not take pictures but it is not often you here me talk of Wall Clouds in the Uk. Then had a Funnel Cloud in front of us to our east but again stuck in traffic and not able to Grab Camera :doh: This thing was now spitting out Stacato Bolts and even had a Hail Shaft with Rainbow.

So for a Uk Chase this was an amazing success.

Another Storm now hitting here just to my west.

Paul S

Nice one. :)

I was in Upminster too about the same time, have had about 5 separate cells moving east today, 3 of them being pretty severe lightning wise, if you had been in Upminster about half 2 you would have been in the middle of a fantastic CG fest, several very close ones from a developing updraft which had a churning base, which always seems to preceed incredible lightning. Split second between lightning and thunder, followed by hail which looked like it was almost £2 coin sized at one point, probrably wasn't but I was more looking out for the lightning while my English teacher was trying to shout above the din of the hail pounding the flat roof. :lol:

So I was right about rotation on the 2nd storm of the day then, the updraft base didnt look too organised this far west, but I can imagine it got more so as it moved East, the base was moving East while I could see scuds on the base moving Westwards and South Westwards, so there must have been some kind of rotation.

Storm to my N is raining itself out and clearing, can sort of see the storm over SE London, but I can't see much activity here what with all the houses in the way.

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

will there be any storms tomorrow ???

Posted

This is annoying i can see some storm clouds brewing but sweet fa is happening here at all just wind, or maybe that was my ass blowing:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Sun is going down

:lol: :doh:

Right then, when's the next plume event*? :) Did a run on GFS and I cant see anything in the near future :(

*I know today wasnt a plume btw, just eager to know when our next one will be :) as we have not had an abundance of plumage yet this year...and they produce my favourite storms (UK storms anyway :) )

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
:):doh:

Right then, when's the next plume event*? :) Did a run on GFS and I cant see anything in the near future :)

*I know today wasnt a plume btw, just eager to know when our next one will be :( as we have not had an abundance of plumage yet this year...and they produce my favourite storms (UK storms anyway :) )

Atleast you found the funny side , mods grow a sense of humour :lol:

I tell ya what Harry some of these storms / strikes had more impact than any plume event... The rate at which these clouds towered upwards was impressive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well, Ive waited along time today for these storms! They have finally arrived!! :) My lovely Girlfriend and I had a bet that I would give her 5 pound if we did not hear any thunder[ and she would give me £5 pound if we did...yeah right!].....well I was thinking[and she was!] that she would be very lucky to about half hour ago and then the good Lord above sent me some storms...not by any means very interesting, but at Least I won the bet...and still waiting for my money! arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :):doh::) :lol: PS I will send you my photos very soon... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Some very thundery towering clouds close to my area now, it's been sunny all day, I can smell the electric in the air...and i can smell the rain but its not raining, still plenty of blue sky around

Posted

That's the beauty with plumes - more hardcore humidity, more people get a chance at the bigguns and the storms themselves last hours, not 30 mins lol if that.

At least we still have July, August and September left for big storms, yay!

Posted

Hmmmm seems to be another heavy deluge making it's way to me. Some sferics in there. With it now getting dark, hopefully the lightning will be more noticeable, woohoo :doh:

post-8635-1245097668_thumb.png

Posted
Crackle bang! FOUR storms, LOL!!! :doh:

Very happy for you Harry and not a certantity that you would even get one today. Rain clouds to my North and East but nothing stormy (yet!).

Now hopefully that will deactivate the shield and I can enjoy similar conditions - and you can stop yer moaning? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I see a few more storm clouds to the west but far away!

Posted
Atleast you found the funny side , mods grow a sense of humour

I tell ya what Harry some of these storms / strikes had more impact than any plume event... The rate at which these clouds towered upwards was impressive!

Oh dont get me wrong - watching the towers going up today, and the size of the Cbs too, was magnificent (nothing compared to USA next year no doubt, but hey, I like my native ones too :lol: ). That's the one downside with plumes, we often dont see them develop, often get them once they are mature - but in terms of the 'finished product', plume MCS' please :doh:

Gone very quiet now - convection seems to have stopped here now - assuming the drier air is now pushing in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun
That's the beauty with plumes - more hardcore humidity, more people get a chance at the bigguns and the storms themselves last hours, not 30 mins lol if that.

At least we still have July, August and September left for big storms, yay!

one thing i ask is no storms or rain for 27 june as im getting married but i have noticed its suppose to be raining :doh: please everyone keep your fingers crossed!

Posted
Very happy for you Harry and not a certantity that you would even get one today. Rain clouds to my North and East but nothing stormy (yet!).

Now hopefully that will deactivate the shield and I can enjoy similar conditions - and you can stop yer moaning? :doh:

Is there the possibility or further storms tonight for the S.E, I saw mine earlier but it was around 10-15 miles away Nothing overhead this year. I must say I really enjoyed watching the system from the outside, lots of movement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Pictures on very shortly guys.................sorry for the delay. Have been speaking with the Daily Mirror to see if they would like them.

Seasons

Posted
one thing i ask is no storms or rain for 27 june as im getting married but i have noticed its suppose to be raining please everyone keep your fingers crossed!

Its two weeks away - any forecast to that degree I would think is likely to change big time. A little while ago the GFS was running a nice plume event for that weekend - when I get back in the UK - but that has shifted now again. Check the forecast next week, probably a bit more accurate.

There are a few cells to the W - I cant see them developing further as it feels far cooler and the moisture gone (well, for the most part)...wouldnt say no though, lol :doh: