Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
:lol: fingers crossed they do then! :p

not in this part of Kent it wasn't. We had one storm around 3pm with torrential rain and small hail, about 10 loud rumbles but no lightning. Just a bog-standard UK thunderstorm, nothing spectacular and certainly no CGs like you snapped on Wednesday :D:rolleyes:

Did you?i even missed that as well then,only a little rain too,hardley enough to wet the floor,heard a couple of rumbles of thunder that was me lot :D

Posted
Did you?i even missed that as well then,only a little rain too,hardley enough to wet the floor,heard a couple of rumbles of thunder that was me lot :lol:

it wasn't anything spectacular TN9. By the sounds of it you had the same amount of thunder as me, i just happened to hit some heavier precip. Only gave 1.5mm apparently :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
I'm in Cheltenham (Glos) and missed out on those storms by about 10 miles or less!

They have developed a lot since they went past here.

It's currently raining now but there isn't any electrical activity.

We may have lots of "storms" but here so far they've just been a case of a couple of rumbles and a couple of lightning bolts, not the proper severe things that you have been seeing in the SE!

To be fair, the storms I got today weren't anywhere near as severe as they have been before - yeah EA looked like they got an absolute pummelling, but as MW said, it wasn't like that everywhere. As I said previously, I was ecstatic at the abundance of storms I saw both develop, and ended up getting, not the severity!

I've maintained previously that the SE (inc EA) get the better storms but that's based on the wicked MCS' which more often hit the SE than move up and survive to the Midlands. HOWEVER, based on this year so far, well, what I'VE seen that hasn't been substantiated at all - well, I can't speak for what EA got but it sounds better than here :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
it wasn't anything spectacular TN9. By the sounds of it you had the same amount of thunder as me, i just happened to hit some heavier precip. Only gave 1.5mm apparently :rolleyes:

You need to move or get out in the car and drive , you missed one hell of an amazing storm today . :p :lol:

Posted

I thought id feel miserable after today, But after that storm going East kinda got louder, I'm actually happy and will remember today fondly!

Posted

Just rain and sporadic sferics now as energy is used up/dies down.

There is a cluster moving E out of W England, but it is unlikely, now, that they will survive the journey to London. Expect, perhaps, a quick pep up then a rapid die down in sferic rates due to diurnal effects.

Well done to all those who saw some spectacular storms, today. I'm glad my forecast of N Kent came to fruition :rolleyes: Had my doubts at some points I have to be honest particular with suspiciously low forecast dewpoints, but that's all part of the game - you make a call and stick with it.

Shame that when I was in Erith, it was happening in Rochester, and when I was in Rochester, it was happening in Erith so haven't seen too much at all today compared with the more extreme areas. TT and K index do come good occasionally!!

Happy hunting ... till next time :lol:

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
You must be mistaken. Nothing interesting happened here bar a 5 minute light rain shower.

Sigh. Roll on winter 09/10.

Lol. Typical. Just as I said this I decided to look out the window and there's a storm just to our south producing cloud-to-cloud lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

We had a blinding chase this evening. Started off in Crayford heading north toward all cells that were tracking down the Thames, I had to go to Eltham SE9 and whilst there giving a quote a cell intensified and the heavens opened together with a great light show and thunder we then chased the storm all the way down the A2 to Cobham being caught in some of the heavest rain/hail showers I have ever encountered. We then turned back along through Norhfleet to Dartford before deciding not to go into Essex due to time constrants (and the £2 van toll) :rolleyes:

Edited by MikeStanton

Posted
Not sure if this has been posted already but ouch: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinbu...ast/8100953.stm

When i first read the news title i thought :rolleyes: :lol: :p

But when i read it and saw the pics included its quite sad with all the cows crowding round the dead cows, thankfully though it was animals and no human was injured.

Posted
you already have! :rolleyes: numerous times have we sat here feeling depressed because the Midlands always bagged the storms. Now today the boot was on the other foot and you now understand how we felt :D We till have a lot of catching up to do :D

^ True, althought when you do get them , they tend to be more severe due to it being slightly warmer in the SE (generally) and they have sucked up moisture from the sea if its an import from the continent.

It will be painful for those 'pesky' Midlanders if those cells leaving Glos, survive their migration SE! Its one thing to have the storms when they don't, it's quite another pinching one from their back yard, lol :D

^ Theft is a terrible crime! :p

:Dfingers crossed they do then! :D

^ How very dare you! Relinquish your statement immediately. :lol:

Currently cloudy. The tower that was around at 8pm has long died a death. Quite cool out if im honest.

Posted

I manged to get one sheet lightning video footage up the ridgeway tonight , but thats it i gave up looked like it was dying out:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Left home at 10:30 for the chase. Headed off towards Six Mile Bottom (East Cambridge). Great location for watching storms roll in (with it being very high and flat and countryside all around you).

Nothing much was happening at this point although I knew later on this location would be ideal!

Anyway, to cut along story short :rolleyes: :lol: I heading of towards south Norfolk, then Sandy in Bedforshire, then down the Baldock (Royston). By this time it was getting on for 15:00. Skies were reletively clear.......then BANG. Cumulonimbus clouds shot up to the east and south of my location. It was a real sight watching them rise and tower so quickly!

I knew these storms were tracking east, northeast (But developing all the time on the back edge - IMO always the severest part). So I bombed up the A505 (Doing 80mph :p ) heading east about 10 miles - watching these towers turn into a HUGE thunderstorm. Stopped just off the A505 very near Melbourne (Top of hill) in Cambridgeshire.

Here are the pictures. CG lightning was the best I have ever seen along with the cloud rotation. I witness 3 funnel clouds and 1 tornado that touched down in the countryside. It was a great day and I only wish you could have all been there, especially Paul. :D

post-1600-1245100867_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245100892_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245100950_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245100986_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101016_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101067_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101103_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101135_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101181_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101219_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101250_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1245101277_thumb.jpg

I hope you all like.

2010 with Paul and the team stormchasing stateside!

Seasons

Posted
I manged to get one sheet lightning video footage up the ridgeway tonight , but thats it i gave up looked like it was dying out:(

Was your signature picture taken in the UK?

And yeah, what weather09 said, want to see the pictures. Have some video of the storm I had but it is not very interesting, just a grey sky and then a loud rumble of thunder every minute or two for about 30-45 minutes.

Posted

Seasons

Nice Pics but why does the Exif Data show 3rd June 2008 ??

Bit confused by this can you clear this up

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

yes there are some stunning shots there! thanks for posting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
Left home at 10:30 for the chase. Headed off towards Six Mile Bottom (East Cambridge). Great location for watching storms roll in (with it being very high and flat and countryside all around you).

Nothing much was happening at this point although I knew later on this location would be ideal!

Anyway, to cut along story short :rolleyes: :lol: I heading of towards south Norfolk, then Sandy in Bedforshire, then down the Baldock (Royston). By this time it was getting on for 15:00. Skies were reletively clear.......then BANG. Cumulonimbus clouds shot up to the east and south of my location. It was a real sight watching them rise and tower so quickly!

I knew these storms were tracking east, northeast (But developing all the time on the back edge - IMO always the severest part). So I bombed up the A505 (Doing 80mph :p ) heading east about 10 miles - watching these towers turn into a HUGE thunderstorm. Stopped just off the A505 very near Melbourne (Top of hill) in Cambridgeshire.

Here are the pictures. CG lightning was the best I have ever seen along with the cloud rotation. I witness 3 funnel clouds and 1 tornado that touched down in the countryside. It was a great day and I only wish you could have all been there, especially Paul. :D

I hope you all like.

2010 with Paul and the team stormchasing stateside!

Seasons

WOW!!!! :D

Unbelievable. What kind of storm does that count as? Would it have been a supercell to produce that tornado?

Looks like something fom the USA.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Seasons mate, really fantastic pictures, massive credit to you, put the hard work in and got the results.

Some of the nice pictures I have ever seen from the UK actually.

That tornado photograph is fantastic, it really is, to see a tornado in the UK is very rare indeed but too see one of that quality and get such great photos is extremely impressive. Really worth sharing those pictures, they are the kind of photos people want to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
Seasons

Paul S

Perhaps they really are from the USA, just so we can all feel jealous :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Seasons

Paul S

There 100% from today Paul. Im no camera wiz......thats what come up on my laptop when I uploaded them :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments guys. One of the best days Im likely to ever have. Over n out.

Seasons

Posted

absolutly bizarre day. Since saturday been told Stevenage had a 61-71% chance of thunder which is unusual usually downgraded but wasnt. Waited all day North London, Beds cambs and even Herts got some !! but here not a rumble lol . Think forcasters got it so right about EAnglia but everywhere else a fair bit wrong. This morning bbc said north of london would especially get it and......nothing lol