Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

HUGE Cb's rapidly developing to my SE - the rate they are going up is something I have never seen in the UK before.

Partner emailed me to say torrential rain, hail, big thunder and lightning in Sevenoaks - NOTHING WHERE I AM THOUGH IN LONDON! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!! :yahoo::doh::yahoo:

I swear, the fury, anger and disappointment I am feeling now is unconfined - makes hiroshima look like a gnats fart!!

My only hope now is something else develops later this evening - have been out of the office all morning and too busy to check back through all of the posts...what our my chances for later on this evening (7pm onwards, for SE London/NW Kent)...pleeease?

EDIT - looking on radar, that is the most blatant example of a convergence line I have ever seen, lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks for those who are pleased for me, lol :doh: now I can leave you all in peace haha

Sky gone very dark again and rain fairly big drops again...not sure its going to be electrical though - temps have gone down substantially due to the previous activity, and although it look like it had a big anvil earlier - now looks messy!

Harry i had 4-5 Separate storms!

Well done Mr neilsouth!! So much for the SE doing poorly then lol - if I count all of the thunderstorms I saw (i.e not from the base but the actual, and impressive Cbs) I've seen about a dozen lol! Some fantastic clouds structures too to boot!!

Rain getting heavier now too!

EDIT - OK pouring now - hoping for one rogue flash/crack, then I can call it, legitimately, four, lol!

Edited by Harry

Posted
Storm in the distance can hear distant thunder and can see cloud to cloud lightning.I think it's on its way to me lol

I'm off to birdlip for some storm watching in a minute :doh: do you reckon I'll get a good view from there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
That lightning shot is absolutely stunning :doh::yahoo:

Thank you!

It's kicking off again here now. Not sky tv for me this evening!

Posted
Guess what.... I GOT THREE STORMS!!!!! :doh::doh::yahoo:

I really thought my luck was out today, watching all of the HUGE Cbs building right over my house - thunderstorms reported from home.

Until literally 15 minutes before I was leaving work, more magnificent Cbs began rocketing, and I mean rocketing...I was watching on the ground, and you could see them bulging up and up like a pyroclastic lava flow...As I was leaving work the sky went black over London, and I saw fork after fork after fork, as I was travelling across Blackheath. Then I looked to my NE and saw two simultaneous forks from another cell.... SWEET I thought!

Got home, and then the sky went black yet again and I heard crackling thunder and distant booms. Went over to the golf course (with no rain) and watched for 20 minutes as the cell slid past - forked/sheet lightning was smashing!.

Got back home, and as I was eating dinner, the sky went black again, this time coming straight at my house - waited a few seconds and heard a distant crackle and boom - :shok: straight over the golf course again I went (stitches from just eating dinner) and the storm began what I thought, to rotate. A gust front of sorts starting forming and moving almost perpendicular to the clouds above. Started seeing more flashes, then forks, one of which shot straight across the sky at 90 degrees - as it came over, ran off back home and enjoyed the pouring rain and bolts overhead from the porch!!

All in all, not a bad day for me! The shield has gone!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Sounds as though you have had a day full of enjoyment. Congrats mate!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
If you catch it quick, there is a beautiful example of an outflow boundary:

Saw that too , even under my storm i saw clouds going south lol

Posted

Lol - I lost count in the end - But I guess Chasing these things makes it easier to get more Storms.

Started by getting to Upminster at 5pm with the Southern End of the Convergence Zone and 3 Seperate Storms cells, lovely Cg Lightning and loud booming thunder. Then James turned up and we got Marble Sized Hail which tried to trash his mums Z4! Followed the cell down the A127 Towards Southend and convieniently home, where the structure was breathtaking for the Uk, Vault region and 2 Seperate Wall clouds, stuck in a Traffic Jam so could not take pictures but it is not often you here me talk of Wall Clouds in the Uk. Then had a Funnel Cloud in front of us to our east but again stuck in traffic and not able to Grab Camera :doh: This thing was now spitting out Stacato Bolts and even had a Hail Shaft with Rainbow.

So for a Uk Chase this was an amazing success.

Another Storm now hitting here just to my west.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

here just had black clouds passing but no rain from it na na zilch........ :doh:

Posted
If you catch it quick, there is a beautiful example of an outflow boundary:

http://www.sat24.com/homepage.aspx?html=zo...260&yas=220

You can see it head south from the storm over Surrey! :doh: I wondered why it had started to get cloudy!

That's passed immediately overhead of me earlier, would that of caused it to get v.windy

Posted

Crackle bang! FOUR storms, LOL!!! :doh:

Lol - I lost count in the end - But I guess Chasing these things makes it easier to get more Storms.

Started by getting to Upminster at 5pm with the Southern End of the Convergence Zone and 3 Seperate Storms cells, lovely Cg Lightning and loud booming thunder. Then James turned up and we got Marble Sized Hail which tried to trash his mums Z4! Folled the cell down the A127 Towards Southend and convieniently home, where the structure was breathtaking for the Uk, Vault region and 2 Seperate Wall clouds, stuck in a Traffic Jam so could not take pictures but it is not often you here me talk of Wall Clouds in the Uk. Then had a Funnel Cloud in front of us to our east but again stuck in traffic and not able to Grab Camera This thing was now spitting out Stacato Bolts and even had a Hail Shaft with Rainbow.

So for a Uk Chase this was an amazing success.

Another Storm now hitting here just to my west.

Paul S

Wow sounds like you saw some BEAUTIES!!! I thought I saw a wall cloud on one of the storms I saw on the way home - if it was a wall cloud (looked very much like it and was on the 'right side of the storm') it didnt hang around long and didnt produce a funnel from what I could see.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
I'm off to birdlip for some storm watching in a minute :doh: do you reckon I'll get a good view from there?

Yes, you'll undoubtedly get a good view from there. Crickley Hill would be a good viewpoint too. I can also hear distant rumbles.

I've given up hope of getting a decent thunderstorm though. I can't remember the last time we had one of those. Oh well, I'll be in Austria in a few weeks time - maybe I will catch some there to make up for today's poor show!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I'm not sure where Birdlip is lol but you could head over to Cheltenham.

Posted
same here it turned very gusty between 8 and 8.30, now quiet as anything

I don't want to get your hopes up, but due East of me here another tower is convecting away, and looks about 15 minutes from t/storm stage. Amazing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

So pic's just before it hit

post-4676-1245096627_thumb.jpg

post-4676-1245096669_thumb.jpg

post-4676-1245096708_thumb.jpg

Sadly didn't manage to get any lightning pic's before the rain came and couldn't see clearly through the window then

Posted
Really? Well I wasn't bothered about another storm trundling eastwards to my location, but I'll take it :doh:

Saying that it'll take a while and may die out before it reached here.

edit - I can't see anything stormy over Manchester?

Been a good day for storms throughout a good part of the uk but especially not for the occupants of this house in S.Yorkshire

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_y...ire/8101728.stm

Yeah, that was in Carterknowle road in millhouses in south sheffield. I was about 2 miles from there and that storm around lunchtime which did that damage was an absolute bease and seemed to get worse as it passed away. I was watchin it develop at around 11am.

Edited by stumathers

Posted
That's passed immediately overhead of me earlier, would that of caused it to get v.windy

Yes part of it, that wind would have been caused by the downdraft that happens when there is heavy rain which brings down some cooler air which then goes along the ground, obviously more pronounced in the States but not a bad example today!

It's funny how on the satellite the storm over East Anglia explodes just like they do on the Continent! A good day for most people, but alas some people do miss out! :doh:

Posted
You gotta laugh, these past two months the Midlands and Wales has been getting most of the storms and then today EA and SE have probably got the best storms of the year. It's only June but judging by the Radar, lightning detector and peoples accounts of today, it surely sounds like it was one fun day

I did say the SE gets the best storms, lol - nah only joking, todays was more like the abundance that thrilled me rather than what I actually saw. The Cbs though were among the most impressive I have seen from 'home growns' though - got quite a few pics of the storms and the Cbs but have misplaced my upload cable - they are currently stuck on my blackberry - grrr! Will have to try and upload them tomorrow, with a bit of luck!!!