Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted
And of course, more famously, 29°C on May 14 1992 which is arguably more extraordinary than any of the other Edinburgh high temperatures mentioned.

Ah yes! I remember early summer 1992 being fairly hot but I had forgotten it was that early. Anyway an interesting week for weather here:

Haar for a few days, when the dew point and temperature were almost identical . Wednesday temperature was <25C but with 80+ % relative humidity. Thursday was just bizarre - highest here (University) was 29.1C, Gogarbank (Met Office Site) 29.4C, Airport (NOAA) 29C. Much fresher and cooler today.

Edited by RedShift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Went to Dunwich to take advantage of the last children-free/roads clear day of the summer. Quite lovely — on the beach, a fresh onshore breeze took the temps down to about 21° C but the strong sunshine made it very pleasant, had a swim in the sea which was about 15° C (surprisingly warm) and then had fish and chips from the cafe.

Driving back through lovely Suffolk watching the sun set over the wheat and barley fields was the end of a perfect day (thanks Lou Reed).

Britain doesn't get any better than yesterday IMO.

It only lasted four days here in the midlands and only really brought endless sun here on two days, the way some people talk is like it lasted for a long time, well its all over now and there is noithing at all on the horizon to match it, next week looks abysmal for heat fans thats including me with cool northerlies, liverpool AP is currently only 16C :lol:

Posted
. Overall it has been a wonderful last 10 days here, with only one day having a maximum below 23C.

Hmm, it has been good but I wouldn't go as far as wonderful because cloud amounts have been disappointing at times and too many days I recorded rainfall.

Posted
Hmm, it has been good but I wouldn't go as far as wonderful because cloud amounts have been disappointing at times and too many days I recorded rainfall.

I would agree with this. Whilst it's been hot this week (sometimes too hot for my liking!) it has been disappointingly cloudy overall, unlike during many of the heatwaves experienced in the Summers of 1995, 2003 and 2006. Plenty of time yet for wall to wall sunshine though and I'm sure we'll experience further heatwaves over the next couple of months.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It was indeed a lovely but brief bit of heat lasting 2-3 days. It's now overcast, damp & temp around 20c - boring & will require the shorts being exchanged for trousers for this evenings pub visit B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
A crying shame

Yes indeed it is! I don't miss the requirement to prepare for later on chillyness when heading out. Esp since I can only do so a few weeks a year...

Posted

as is often the case some have a half full glass some a half empty one. In this of course I exclude the people down the east coast who have had, I would imagine for this time of year, for some at any rate, one of the longest periods of haar etc for quite some time.

Here, yep that N Sea mistiness etc was a bit of a pain over several days but otherwise its been around 2 weeks of temperatures every day above 21C, the normal is about 19-20C for this area, no rain until today, so for me here a pleasant spell of summer.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Two nice days during the week one cloud humid day that bordered on the hot. Call it a two and half day heatwave. Most remarkable thing about the week was the humidity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
as is often the case some have a half full glass some a half empty one. In this of course I exclude the people down the east coast who have had, I would imagine for this time of year, for some at any rate, one of the longest periods of haar etc for quite some time.

Here, yep that N Sea mistiness etc was a bit of a pain over several days but otherwise its been around 2 weeks of temperatures every day above 21C, the normal is about 19-20C for this area, no rain until today, so for me here a pleasant spell of summer.

Its actually been very nice here over the past 2 weeks and i only live 10 miles from the east coast. There have been some cool cloudy days mixed in with warmer sunnier ones but the emphasis has been on a lot of dry 'useable' weather as apposed to the frequent showers that have characterised the last 2 summers. We didnt get the heat that other parts have experienced though, until today when it reached 24.1c.

Posted
Its actually been very nice here over the past 2 weeks and i only live 10 miles from the east coast. There have been some cool cloudy days mixed in with warmer sunnier ones but the emphasis has been on a lot of dry 'useable' weather as apposed to the frequent showers that have characterised the last 2 summers. We didnt get the heat that other parts have experienced though, until today when it reached 24.1c.

I think dull but warm and dry sums it up around here in the last couple of weeks. We had our first measurable rain for 12 days today. Maximum temperatures havent been too high but minima have been well above average.

Max / Min Temps here during the last 10 days:

24th: 19.4C / 11.8C

25th: 21.4C / 12.5C

26th: 19.7C / 13.7C

27th: 20.4C / 13.4C

28th: 24.0C / 14.2C

29th: 21.8C / 14.6C

30th: 21.1C / 12.9C

1st: 22.8C / 15.1C

2nd: 22.9C / 16.1C

3rd: 23.4C / 14.3C

Nothing special really, the spell at the end of July last year was much better.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Heatwave ...What heatwave..!! Unfortunately this type of set up gives the eastern coast (especially but not

exclusively) north of the wash that ugly phenomena 'Ha'ar' which inevitably crunches the temps.. But one good

thing is when the 'fresher' weather does arrive we usually start to enjoy the relative warmer temperatures.. :o :D ...

Posted

A pretty good summer spell here (unless you don't like it hot!) - today (max 26.3 deg C) has been the first day since last Friday when 80 deg F hasn't been exceeded, so 7 very warm/hot days in a row, with minimal rainfall during that period too (just a few spots yesterday morning and perhaps a little rain in the early hours today - I wasn't awake to see it).

Temperatures here were:

Date Max/Min

27/6: 27.2/13.4

28/6: 29.3/14.1

29/6: 30.0/17.8

30/6: 30.1/16.6

1/7: 30.3/19.2

2/7: 29.8/14.5

3/7: 26.3/18.6

So technically (I believe, for these parts) a 3 day heatwave in the middle of a very warm spell with decent amounts of sunshine and very little rain, and the humidity has generally been low too.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
Yes indeed it is! I don't miss the requirement to prepare for later on chillyness when heading out. Esp since I can only do so a few weeks a year...

I'm now off to the club might take me fleece plus me hat!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well a very good albeit quite brief heatwave. Maximum was 32c (90f) on Wednesday. :cc_confused: The Highest since 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

A brief heatwave, only one day just exceeded 30C (30.3C), a couple of sunny days and a couple of dull and damp ones. A long way off a classic but still better than nothing. Over hype does seem to be the best word to use though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The heatwave is over! :):cc_confused: :lol:

Now we can go back to being able to sleep and go outside without sweating buckets. Felt lovely today with pleasant temps in the low 20s.

Posted

Certainly cooler this evening - that feeling of chilliness after sunset once more when sat outside... Still not a bad evening - bright, clear & still pretty warm (still just shy of 20c). I've seen worse post cold front conditions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

It will be generally cooling down with temps returning to average at about 21-23C next week for some spots, maybe warmer in the sun. The heatwave was over hyped IMO, it was far from a classic.. just a few days of hot temps which is not unusual for the UK, although Scotland did seem to have the better of it.

It's laughable how so many people are now saying they are looking forward to cool northerlies when we only had a short four day hot spell with only two days delivering the highest temps for most, people nowadays are soft in this country, i could understand if they were over 60 or very young but i assume most members on weather forums are 20 to 50, god knows what they would do if they lived in a continental climate with hot weather for weeks on end and proper hot too with temps over 32C not under 32C like here.

Just a rant before this thread disappears off page 1 for good :D

Edited by Eugene

It's laughable how so many people are now saying they are looking forward to cool northerlies when we only had a short four day hot spell with only two days delivering the highest temps for most, people nowadays are soft in this country, i could understand if they were over 60 or very young but i assume most members on weather forums are 20 to 50, god knows what they would do if they lived in a continental climate with hot weather for weeks on end and proper hot too with temps over 32C not under 32C like here.

Just a rant before this thread disappears off page 1 for good :)

:D