Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)
Whilst conditions in London have certainly felt hot this week - I think it's fair to call it a heatwave and it is probably newsworthy to some degree - the way we've been put on "Level 3 alert", one below emergency level, is a joke. 30°C has not been widespread at all and if anything the weather has got less hot as the week has gone on, not hotter: 31°C on Mon and Tues, 30°C on Wed and Thurs.

And as for the forecasts this morning, they were talking of 32°C or even 33°C in the Greater London region for this afternoon. As it is only one or two places nudged only just above 30°C, unsurprisingly one of them was Heathrow. At such a short timeframe this was poor forecasting. Just from looking at the morning temps I thought it was too low to reach those heights: Heathrow started at 15°C this morning and the London Weather Centre at 16°C. To reach 32°C/33°C you almost always have to be looking at minima the previous night of at least 19°C or even 20°C. I therefore think the forecast was overly optimistic just to justify the absurd "alerts" that had been issued the previous day.

Yes, I do think that the BBC in particular has been guilty of over doing this 'heatwave' Whilst I do feel for the elderly who struggle with heat, it is ridiculous to put heatwave alert warnings up when the temperature is around 30C. It is not unusual for areas in the UK to reach 30C, and the main area has been the southeast, with many northern areas typically seeing mid to high twenties as a max, nothing to alert people about in my books.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
It's worth pointing out nowhere officially has recorded 90F(32.2C) in this hot spell so to be honest its not that special and going by the charts nothing suggests anywhere near that for the next two weeks.

We unnoficially here in Leicestershire hit 90f the last 3 days, Tuesday, yesterday and today. No one will believe it though because it's unnofficial but I choose to believe it because I have been out there the last 2 days in the hottest part of the day in the sun and it overpowered me and I can usually take the heat aswell :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
Yes, I do think that the BBC in particular has been guilty of over doing this 'heatwave' Whilst I do feel for the elderly who struggle with heat, it is ridiculous to put heatwave alert warnings up when the temperature is around 30C. It is not unusual for areas in the UK to reach 30C, and the main area has been the southeast, with many northern areas typically seeing mid to high twenties as a max, nothing to alert people about in my books.

Hmmm one of the more ridiculous posts I have seen in a long time, but then I guess there was a clue in your name :)

Edited by jimben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
It's worth pointing out nowhere officially has recorded 90F(32.2C) in this hot spell so to be honest its not that special and going by the charts nothing suggests anywhere near that for the next two weeks.

i think its way too much in the evenings and overnight, way too hot this, sun just wont go in, room faces north so hot in evenings

i think its best to face south as rooms in evenings/overnight will be cooler no sun coming in and air will come in off a SE-SW wind

Posted
Hmmm one of the more ridiculous posts I have seen in a long time, but then I guess there was a clue in your name :)

I consider your post ridiculous as well unless you explain your reason.. It has hardly been a heatwave for 90% of the UK. London has hit 31C which isn't too rare, and the rest of the UK has generally seen anywhere from low twenties to high twenties with the odd 30C in some places, so I think it is just ridiculous that so much has been made about this and alerts e.t.c have had to be given out. It is common sense for people to know what to do when they are hot, elderly people probably know better because they have lived through 1976 and other severe heatwaves that have affected this country.

Edited by robthefool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was in Latvia from June 20, so I don't know what it's been like here...But, from what I can gather, every day since June 21 has been above average? If that's true, I'd call it a heatwave - 90F or not! :)

I might be wrong, though? :lol:

Posted

So what, its been much nicer weather than the last two summers combined and its only 2nd July.

The big heatwaves of the past 10 years have all been later anyway, for example 19th July was the peak of the heat in 2006, 10th August!! in 2003.

For once weve had a spell of fine weather that also happened to be around the peak UV time and its been lovely since early last week, apart from

Friday which was a washout.

The warmest time of year on average is not till Late July and 5-14th July is on average regarded as one of the most atlantic influenced times in Summer.

21-25c across England this weekend with plenty of sunshine on offer, certainly not a bad spell of weather, and even next weeks northerly looks to be a mostly sunny one after a showery Monday & Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
i think its way too much in the evenings and overnight, way too hot this, sun just wont go in, room faces north so hot in evenings

i think its best to face south as rooms in evenings/overnight will be cooler no sun coming in and air will come in off a SE-SW wind

Oh I dunno - my room faces east - sure it's cooler in the evenings but you do end up suffering from blinding sunlight from early on and the place getting very hot very quickly. We have a blackout blind on the skylight above our bed but the skylight needs to be opened which means said blind is useless! So even more light coming in an hour before you're due to get up!

Our house faces the wrong way for me - facing exactly south-east with a hill to our north-west. Means it's glorious & sunny in the mornings (weekend lie ins have all but gone since winter ended since we moved here!) but very dim in the evenings - and we don't get any nice sunsets like we did in our old place (bedroom facing NW). Small price to pay to escape the chavs next door tho!

Posted

Hot weather in the North West today, probably the hottest so far of this hot spell. Day off work today too, so had a cycle ride up into the Oldham hills. Picture perfect it was. Greenery is stunning this year. Everything is just blossoming that little bit more compared to previous summers. :)

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
ive just noticed edinburgh airport is at 30c now!! highest official in uk at the moment!!

Equal hottest day ever recorded in Edinburgh! Last time was August 1975.

:wub:

Posted
Equal hottest day ever recorded in Edinburgh! Last time was August 1975.

:wub:

Brilliant Shuggs...A 'barbeque Summer' after all?? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Finally broke the 30c today when it topped out at 30.5c in my back garden(shade), shame i was at work until 4 , so i missed most of it :wub:

Posted
Brilliant Shuggs...A 'barbeque Summer' after all?? :D

I'm opting for a cold shower instead :wub:

Very impressive.

Posted
I'm opting for a cold shower instead :wub:

Very impressive.

I've had a few of those recently, mate... :D

Posted

In my opinion, temps of 30, even with the humidity, are not hot, just pleasant for my tastes, the close balmy warmth is very soothing.

two weeks of 40+ in the south of france a couple of years back was hot, even then after 4 or 5 days you acclimatise, modify your behavior. Higher temps are of course a very real and grave danger to the elderly, or those with certain health conditions, and the number of heat related deaths in France that year and in 2006 also, was shocking. And having just nursed an elderly parent with a lung condition for 10 years, I know those problems intimately. But now she has passed, I can enjoy warm weather without the accompanying dread.

Let's hope I get to enjoy even more of this warm pleasant weather

Posted

Didn't reach 30C here during this heatwave, or humid wave as Pit called it (Due to it being cloudy for at least half, infact dullmid wave could have been a better name!) Still theres the rest of the summer. Once last uncomfortable night to come i think. So far i have manged to put up with the nights and sleep with the covers on. Mainly because i left the windows on both side of the house open and let the breeze flow through to about 12am in the morning. Currently cooling off nicely in the room/ Currently 24.9c and dropping slowly. Outside its 19.6c

Posted

Made the most of the last day of the heatwave by celebrating in the pub :D

Shocking excuse for a beer or 8+.

Today has been the best day by far up here sun hours wise. Yesterday wasn't bad following a couple of days with around 80% cloud cover (mon & tues) after a cracking sunday afternoon.

Superb outside at the moment with clear skies and very warm. Who'd have thought there was a breakdown coming in :D

Posted

Good end to the week, hopefully now some thunderstorms tomorrow. A bit annoyed that there was a fair bit of cloud cover this week, it could have been hotter but oh well :D

Posted

Today was easily the best day of the hot spell here, it was absolutely glorious. I actually wasn't expecting too much as people on this forum seemed to be talking yesterday as if the best had been and gone and that the hot spell was over. Also showers had been forecast to develop this afternoon. The sunshine was almost unbroken until this evening, and even then the cloud was only patchy. Humidity also dropped today and the sun felt very strong indeed but there was a lovely soft breeze. Maximum temperature of 29.5C, making it the warmest day since July 2006. Probably the best day since 2006 as well, in terms of a combination of sunshine and heat. I was worried on Tuesday that we would miss out on the heat but the last two days have been fantastic and there has been no rain. Overall it has been a wonderful last 10 days here, with only one day having a maximum below 23C.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted

Don't know what temperature we got to today but hazard a guess seeing that Carlisle reached 29 degrees that we at least reached 27 if not 28 degrees, which I believe will have made today the warmest day of the year so far.

Certainly the 'best' day of this heatwave aswell as we have had banks of sunshine and little cloud and thankfully there was a bit of breeze about today making it feel a bit more pleasant compared to yesterday which due to the humidity was thoroughly unpleasant.

Another very muggy night this evening to come, all change tomorrow.

I think today surprised many in northern parts, the heat that has been centred on central and south eastern england seems to have transferred further north today, not sure whether the trough in the west moving in has actually helped this to happen.

A notable very warm day in Edinburgh, probably a big shock to many there as they have had some preety cool days recently.

Don't believe we will better this recent spell of weather in terms of temps and sustenance this summer but could easily equal it sometime in late July and early August and hopefully the next good spell of weather is not accompanied by high levels of humidity and cloudy conditions.

Posted
The record there is 31.4 °C on 4 August 1975 (according to Met Office). After a quick web trawl I also found 29.1C on 5th June 1982 and 30.6C on 21st August 1995.

Pretty darn hot for these parts anyway. I have spent 2 months in each of the last three summers in central Turkey, it's hotter there, but more comfortable than this. At least humidity is falling away a little now.

Got to 30/15 in Edinburgh Airport, relative humidity of 40%. Those are still reasonably high dewpoints for Scotland though, combined with high temperatures.

Posted
The record there is 31.4 °C on 4 August 1975 (according to Met Office). After a quick web trawl I also found 29.1C on 5th June 1982 and 30.6C on 21st August 1995.

Pretty darn hot for these parts anyway. I have spent 2 months in each of the last three summers in central Turkey, it's hotter there, but more comfortable than this. At least humidity is falling away a little now.

And of course, more famously, 29°C on May 14 1992 which is arguably more extraordinary than any of the other Edinburgh high temperatures mentioned.