Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Can I ask Eugene, what is it that you want from Summer? Temps into the 40Cs? A 2-3 month heatwave with temps in the mid to late 30Cs. If what I have just asked actually happened then there would be some serious problems in this country. Alot of people would die, mainly the elderly, is that what you want?

You are never satisfied, we had a good week or two with temps into the mid 20Cs and a few days where above 30C was reached. As soon as things cool down then you're back out with your pessimism. Now, I'm not having a go, I'm just asking these simple questions just so I can understand what you expect from Summer. Remember now, we're not living on the continent with a vast landmass, we're living on an island with Atlantic to our West and the North Sea to our East. What will make you happy with regards to Summer weather?

I think he should live in Florida with no air con and then he can have all the heat and humidity he wants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Can I ask Eugene, what is it that you want from Summer? Temps into the 40Cs? A 2-3 month heatwave with temps in the mid to late 30Cs. If what I have just asked actually happened then there would be some serious problems in this country. Alot of people would die, mainly the elderly, is that what you want?

You are never satisfied, we had a good week or two with temps into the mid 20Cs and a few days where above 30C was reached. As soon as things cool down then you're back out with your pessimism. Now, I'm not having a go, I'm just asking these simple questions just so I can understand what you expect from Summer. Remember now, we're not living on the continent with a vast landmass, we're living on an island with Atlantic to our West and the North Sea to our East. What will make you happy with regards to Summer weather?

I completely agree with you! Our country is very changeable but thats what makes our weath so interesting.

To those who are fed up of our weather-move somewhere else.

Posted
It's laughable how so many people are now saying they are looking forward to cool northerlies when we only had a short four day hot spell with only two days delivering the highest temps for most, people nowadays are soft in this country, i could understand if they were over 60 or very young but i assume most members on weather forums are 20 to 50, god knows what they would do if they lived in a continental climate with hot weather for weeks on end and proper hot too with temps over 32C not under 32C like here.

It has been the hottest since 2006 and don`t you remember that summer with such record breaking heat which lasted into autumn,not incl august of course which was only average.

This spell has certainly given some very warm muggy nights more than anything here 18.3c min on the last night 0.1c higher than the warmest night of 2006.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

It was a bit too hot when we arrived in London on Thursday, although not as bad as I was expecting. By Friday it was just comfortably warm and perfect for the Blur concert at Hyde Park :D

I also noticed the difference it makes when you have an air-conditioned hotel room to go back to. You can enjoy the heat when outside without thinking you have to suffer it all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
It's laughable how so many people are now saying they are looking forward to cool northerlies when we only had a short four day hot spell with only two days delivering the highest temps for most, people nowadays are soft in this country, i could understand if they were over 60 or very young but i assume most members on weather forums are 20 to 50, god knows what they would do if they lived in a continental climate with hot weather for weeks on end and proper hot too with temps over 32C not under 32C like here.

Just a rant before this thread disappears off page 1 for good :D

think i am now looking forward to a cooler spell, miles too hot mon-thur, esp wed and thur, as nick says sleep easier now, in the evenings it certainly feels like 40oC

Posted
think i am now looking forward to a cooler spell, miles too hot mon-thur, esp wed and thur, as nick says sleep easier now, in the evenings it certainly feels like 40oC

Aint changed one bit here yet, hit 26.3c here today, and its still just over 20c, upto now it's shown no sign of cooling down. Especially the highest max temp in the so called "heat wave" was only 28.7c.

Ground is rock hard, sufc has the exact same problem, if we dont get bucket loads here soon we could have a problem on our hands, luckily it's not forecast to be v.warm again.

Just over 73mm in 3 and a half months!

lewis

Edited by Lewis

Posted
Aint changed one bit here yet, hit 26.3c here today, and its still just over 20c, upto now it's shown no sign of cooling down. Especially the highest max temp in the so called "heat wave" was only 28.7c.

Ground is rock hard, sufc has the exact same problem, if we dont get bucket loads here soon we could have a problem on our hands, luckily it's not forecast to be v.warm again.

lewis

Yeah another warm day here at 26c and the highest the temp got here was 28c a few days ago.

It's the grass as brown in your area as shown in the pic ive just posted?

post-6955-1246749023_thumb.jpg

Posted

Sorry, its 17.3c here the USB cable on my weather station was unplugged

Yeah another warm day here at 26c and the highest the temp got here was 28c a few days ago.

Not quite as bad i dont think but getting there!

Its weird on the humber, you get the South bank staying dry with parts of the North bank getting soaked, then a few miles along the north bank its dry again, like i said before it's like a mini micro climate near the humber.

Posted

lewis

Id seriously be checking the positioning and/or accuracy of your sensor, as its been nowhere near that warm in Hull over any of this spell. Its been mostly 19-22C with today the highest so far at 24.5C. Theres been an onshore easterly breeze which has kept the temperature down this close to the coast.

Agree with you on the rainfall though, just 104mm all spring and only 12.7mm in June.

Posted
Id seriously be checking the positioning and/or accuracy of your sensor, as its been nowhere near that warm in Hull over any of this spell. Its been mostly 19-22C with today the highest so far at 24.5C. Theres been an onshore easterly breeze which has kept the temperature down this close to the coast.

Agree with you on the rainfall though, just 104mm all spring and only 12.7mm in June.

I can assure you my weather station is working fine :D it cost enough.

Whats weird most of the time i check the current observations on xcweather (i know it only covers humberside) and also the BBC, they fall inline with around the same temps.

I have 2 weather station one nearly hit the 29c mark, and my professional one showed 28c, heres the records;

http://www.weatherinhull.com/record.htm

I can assure you my weather station is working fine :) it cost enough.

Whats weird most of the time i check the current observations on xcweather (i know it only covers humberside) and also the BBC, they fall inline with around the same temps.

I have 2 weather station one nearly hit the 29c mark, and my professional one showed 28c, heres the records;

Reef, are you not right on the river hull also? so would the wind not have an affect?

Posted
I can assure you my weather station is working fine :D it cost enough.

The station is very likely to be accurate but that means nothing if its positioned in a place that it will over-read. During this spell temperatures have been progressively cooler as you move nearer to the coast. Often it has been 19-22C here, a couple of degrees cooler at my parents in Sproatley and then in the teens at coastal locations like Bridlington.

Posted
The station is very likely to be accurate but that means nothing if its positioned in a place that it will over-read. During this spell temperatures have been progressively cooler as you move nearer to the coast. Often it has been 19-22C here, a couple of degrees cooler at my parents in Sproatley and then in the teens at coastal locations like Bridlington.

Where do you live?

And my weather station is positioned on a washing line pole (around 6 and a half feet off the ground, clipped onto its own pole. Its in the middle of my garden, garden length is roughly 37 feet in length, and only recieves 3-4 hours of direct sunlight at around 10am-1/2pm.

If theres anywhere i can improve accuracy/ or if im doing it completely wrong i would appreciate it if you helped me fix the problem mate.

BTW i figured that putting it on the washing line pole would stop my 2 labrador pups getting there teeth into it, and trust me they can bite through metal lol!

thanks lewis

Edited by Lewis

Posted

perhaps for both Reef and Lewis, if they feel able, to give their lat long and height amsl, might help to see why you have such differing ideas on temperatures?

if not on this thread, perhaps an exchange of lat-long in pm's to each other?

I'd be interested to see them as well if you would both pm me with the data. Small distances can make quite a big difference.

Posted

It's very dry down here too, we got no storms (or rain) here on Thursday night either that were forecast...

Pic of Southsea seafront gardens...

04072009831.jpg

Posted
Where do you live?

And my weather station is positioned on a washing line pole (around 6 and a half feet off the ground, clipped onto its own pole. Its in the middle of my garden, garden length is roughly 37 feet in length, and only recieves 3-4 hours of direct sunlight at around 10am-1/2pm.

If theres anywhere i can improve accuracy/ or if im doing it completely wrong i would appreciate it if you helped me fix the problem mate.

BTW i figured that putting it on the washing line pole would stop my 2 labrador pups getting there teeth into it, and trust me they can bite through metal lol!

thanks lewis

Im on Victoria Dock. Being close to the Humber does have a minor effect yes, but never more than half a degree or so on average.

Your positioning looks good but it sounds like its the sunslight whats the problem. Id be looking at buying or making a screen. If its positioned above concrete then that will also affect things.

Posted
Im on Victoria Dock. Being close to the Humber does have a minor effect yes, but never more than half a degree or so on average.

Your positioning looks good but it sounds like its the sunslight whats the problem. Id be looking at buying or making a screen. If its positioned above concrete then that will also affect things.

Latitude: 53.785, Longitude: -0.23167

It's above grass :doh: and i dont even think the sun light bearly hits the weather station, as its only the bottom end of the garden that really gets the sunshine.

lewis

Posted
It's very dry down here too, we got no storms (or rain) here on Thursday night either that were forecast...

It's only rained here a few times in about 5 weeks, and even that was mostly light rain. Almost everytime rain

is forecast it manages to miss my area :doh: Hopefully a decent spell of rain for the gardens soon but im not confident.

Posted

The only official weather station I can find near Hull is Bridlington. Now the highest temp recorded since the warm spell has been 21C.

Obviously this is right on the coast and Hull might of been a few degrees warmer but I seriously doubt 29C was recorded.

Nothing personal but I never take any notice of temps recorded unless they are from the Met O official weather stations.

Posted
The only official weather station I can find near Hull is Bridlington. Now the highest temp recorded since the warm spell has been 21C.

Obviously this is right on the coast and Hull might of been a few degrees warmer but I seriously doubt 29C was recorded.

Nothing personal but I never take any notice of temps recorded unless they are from the Met O official weather stations.

Not a problem, i wont take it personal, its the cheap hand held station that showed 29 with my 200 quid one showing 28c exact. Funny you mention bridlington according to xcweather and other stations it was reocrding 19c at 11pm tonight..

lewis

Also http://www.bridlingtonweather.co.uk/realtimeweather.htm

click on temp last 24 hours you will see it hit almost 27c here today. and keep checking back on the other data too, which takes me back to the point i made earlier, the weather is so different in every location around here, it's just like cornwall, N and S coast, you could wake up at mevagissey on the south coast in the morning to fog and rain etc, drive to newquay on the N coas and it can be brilliant sunshine.

lewis

Posted
Not a problem, i wont take it personal, its the cheap hand held station that showed 29 with my 200 quid one showing 28c exact. Funny you mention bridlington according to xcweather and other stations it was reocrding 19c at 11pm tonight..

lewis

Also http://www.bridlingtonweather.co.uk/realtimeweather.htm

click on temp last 24 hours you will see it hit almost 27c here today. and keep checking back on the other data too, which takes me back to the point i made earlier, the weather is so different in every location around here, it's just like cornwall, N and S coast, you could wake up at mevagissey on the south coast in the morning to fog and rain etc, drive to newquay on the N coas and it can be brilliant sunshine.

lewis

The thing is Lewis, Holderness is a flat plain, the temperatures are actually remarkably consistent. You only get a difference in temperature when the wind is from the North Sea, but even then the effects are generally only really seen 10-15 miles inland at most. As for Bridlington, the MetOffice official station had a max of 19.9C:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...st_weather.html

Posted
The thing is Lewis, Holderness is a flat plain, the temperatures are actually remarkably consistent. You only get a difference in temperature when the wind is from the North Sea, but even then the effects are generally only really seen 10-15 miles inland at most. As for Bridlington, the MetOffice official station had a max of 19.9C:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...st_weather.html

Thats brid tho, i just came accross this if it helps;

post-2644-1246752739_thumb.jpg

Posted
Thats brid tho, i just came accross this if it helps;

post-2644-1246752739_thumb.jpg

I honestly cannot see how you show some of those temps Lewis

ref the Bridlington data

the station you quote is giving, at 0754 BST today, a temp of 23.7C. This is obviously wrong, what was your temp at that time please?

Reef, tks for your pm, what was your temp at 0754, or the nearest to that time please?

Humberside shows a temp of 17C at 0700 BST

Bridlington(Met O) shows a temp of 16C at 0700BST

It is impossible for that Bridlington value you quote Lewis to be correct-its some 7C or so out?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
I honestly cannot see how you show some of those temps Lewis

ref the Bridlington data

the station you quote is giving, at 0754 BST today, a temp of 23.7C. This is obviously wrong, what was your temp at that time please?

Reef, tks for your pm, what was your temp at 0754, or the nearest to that time please?

Humberside shows a temp of 17C at 0700 BST

Bridlington(Met O) shows a temp of 16C at 0700BST

It is impossible for that Bridlington value you quote Lewis to be correct-its some 7C or so out?

Temp was 17.2c at 0700,

current temp as of 10:10am is 22.1c

lewis

Temp was 17.2c at 0700,

current temp as of 10:10am is 22.1c

lewis

Also why is it so hard to believe? Bridlington is right on the coast, and im 27.3miles away from bridlington :)