Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I'm right on the coast and i can see an anvil and its around 30-40 miles to the WNW

possibly around Corbridge Northumberland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
totaly surrounded by towers here.thunder to the NW of me.

a deluge looks to be on the cards.

Stuck in work in Consett and haven't heard a thing :o

Looking good for the rest of the day though, finally we have proper heat, sun and convection.

Hope we get a powercut, I want to get sent home and go stormchasing!

Posted

I wonder if thats the one I first saw from here, its about 40 miles NW, we have big cauliflowers over the Pennines, the same ones that can be seen from Lancashire?

Posted

Seems the risk for thunder today is from mid-north Wales northwards into N england and Scotland the biggest risk today.

It was a sunny start until the mid-level cloud returned,a few patches of castellaus/turrets but not enough for my liking in this humid flow.

Posted
I wonder if thats the one I first saw from here, its about 40 miles NW, we have big cauliflowers over the Pennines, the same ones that can be seen from Lancashire?

You perhaps saw the showers over Teesdale tracking NE.

The ones viewed from Lancshire will probably those developing over S Cumbria/Howgills.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted

Thunder heard from that huge Ts heading NE, although the storm is easily 20-30

mile away from my location the anvil almost looks overhead now...!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A bit of humble pie might be in order later today as odds do look quite favourable for showers/storms to eventually get as far east as South Shields due to the aforementioned lack of a sea breeze. I'm guessing there must be a light southerly blowing off the land helping fend those off.

Posted

I do hope that pulse of precip just off the west coast of Scotland will trigger things off as it moves East.

Edit: Im sure i just heard a rumble :lol:

Edited by todd1970

Posted
I do hope that pulse of precip just off the west coast of Scotland will trigger things off as it moves East.
Same here *crosses fingers* it is getting unbareably humid here now ahead of them.

Posted

Currently 26.7ºc here in Solihull. Plenty of mid level altocumulus, on occasion altocumulus stratus.

I think 30ºc is possible by late afternoon. 32 or 33ºc around the south east. The potential is there.

Phil.

Posted
A bit of humble pie might be in order later today as odds do look quite favourable for showers/storms to eventually get as far east as South Shields due to the aforementioned lack of a sea breeze. I'm guessing there must be a light southerly blowing off the land helping fend those off.

You still could be right Ian as those south easterlies are pretty fickle winds and can easily bring a chill off the sea, luckily

at the moment they seem to be blowing and increasing in strength(possibly outflow from that impressive cell) from the land

heres hoping they stay away...

Posted

Edit: Im sure i just heard a rumble :lol:

Let's hope so Todd mate. Gazeyre1966 here. Just started to rain here. Muggy as hell and the wind just starting to pick up. No thunder heard yet though.

Posted
Thunder heard from that huge Ts heading NE, although the storm is easily 20-30

mile away from my location the anvil almost looks overhead now...!!

Just got in from the golf course after 9 holes with the thunder booming away-the cloud seems to be going around us but with lightning observed close by I decided to be chickjen and walk in leaving my (stupid) partners to risk the elements-as yet no rain and its just possible that the main cell is skirting this area. There is however still pleny going on.

Posted

arggghhh! just wish we could have got some showers coming our way today! It's nice and sunny and hot here heating things up nicely! :lol:

Posted

Yep quite a bit of thunder being heard here but despite my best efforts to watch the cell as far as the eye can see i couldnt see any lightning, due to the haze and the fact the cell is quite a lenghty distance away making viewing difficult.

Would appear at the moment that cell is the only one in the vicinity but clouds are bubbling up here and it still feels humid, Aslong as the sea breezes are kept at bay we are always in a risk of a shower.

Posted
Let's hope so Todd mate. Gazeyre1966 here. Just started to rain here. Muggy as hell and the wind just starting to pick up. No thunder heard yet though.

Heyyyyy afternoon Gaz mate..aye the thing im not happy about is its clouded right over no sunshine at all so when that precip gets here might just be rain. :lol:

However with the humidity spose anythings possible..the next few hours will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Yep quite a bit of thunder being heard here but despite my best efforts to watch the cell as far as the eye can see i couldnt see any lightning, due to the haze and the fact the cell is quite a lenghty distance away making viewing difficult.

Would appear at the moment that cell is the only one in the vicinity but clouds are bubbling up here and it still feels humid, Aslong as the sea breezes are kept at bay we are always in a risk of a shower.

:lol: Yay well pleased for you Geordiesnow - about time your luck was in - lightning or no lightning (yet!) that's more than many in the UK at the moment!

Crystal clear skies here at the moment - gorgeous! Does feel like the humidity has gone up a notch on yesterday though...

24 hours ending 2200 on 30 Jun 09: London & South East England

Highest max 31.8 °C Wisley

Lowest max 21.1 °C St Catherines Point

Lowest min 12.7 °C Wisley

Highest rainfall 2.0 mm St Catherines Point

Sunniest 15.4 hours East Malling

This is a curious piece of data I noticed - Wisley hit the highest and lowest temps for the SE yesterday - don't often see that too often in a given 24 hour period. Hottest day and most pleasant night - lucky you!

Not sure if this has been mentioned before (sorry if it has), London/SE now under MetOffice heatwave warning Level 3, where as surrounding areas still on 2. Isn't it ironic that the area orange for the heatwave looks likely (at this stage) to miss out on the torrential rain/storms - ain't life a biiiatch!

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Just got a quick sharp shower from nowhere,mid-level type.

Same here...lasted for about 30 seconds then stopped.

Posted

starting to hear thunder now like, canny beasty cloud is not too far away - to use the correct term lmao :lol:

shouldn't be too hard to catch a shower today like, 24-27 degrees and dewpoint 21 degrees, also more of a south or westerly breeze it keeps changing haha :D

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks as if the SE could be on the FRINGE of something tomorrow night, IF the most recent GFS run is correct. Still may consider the prospect of travelling to the coast tomorrow night, depending obviously on developments tomorrow evening.

post-3790-1246451345_thumb.png

post-3790-1246451357_thumb.png

Posted
Heyyyyy afternoon Gaz mate..aye the thing im not happy about is its clouded right over no sunshine at all so when that precip gets here might just be rain. :lol:

However with the humidity spose anythings possible..the next few hours will tell.

Pretty much the same thing going on here. What normally happens being right on the coast is that we get the rain and once the storms move inland a little then they kick off big style. Hoping for some action as it's becoming very dark to the West of me right now.

Edited by Trancemaster1966

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Well convection is finally kicking off here. Hwoever other than Estofex, no one has given anything out for the midlands.

Might be a good thing who knows.