Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Did you get that storm earlier this morning Carl?

I was awake till gone 2 this morning Paul...too bloody hot...can report that nothing untoward happened here at all...must have passed someway north of me.

Posted

Anyone think theres a chance for West Scotland, round the Clyde area, this humidity has got to go I'm going insane. I can't make head nor tail of trying to work this crap out myself - I'm not that good yet hahah.

Break or make my heart people!

Edited by sammie

Posted

I think metoffice really don't know whats going to fully happen yet the warnings are there just in case untill there orange il get my hopes up a little more but if red il faint :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
I was awake till gone 2 this morning Paul...too bloody hot...can report that nothing untoward happened here at all...must have passed someway north of me.

Shame that, got a cracking little storm. It really developed quickly and I could see lightning way off to the North until 4am. I would have thought you may have seen something as on radar it looked to develop immediately to your West.

Video from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtuVOKHMoY

Posted
Yorkshire & Humber:

N Yorkshire

W Yorkshire

Heavy Rain 1235 Wed 1 2200 Wed 1

Showers, some heavy with hail and thunder, are expected to develop through this afternoon and early evening. Although there are some parts that may well miss them, where the heavy showers do occur, rainfall totals of 15 to 25 mm are possible in a short space of time, and very locally, totals in excess of 50mm are possible. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1101 Wed 1 Jul

metoffice.gov.uk

Posted
Shame that, got a cracking little storm. It really developed quickly and I could see lightning way off to the North until 4am. I would have thought you may have seen something as on radar it looked to develop immediately to your West.

Video from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtuVOKHMoY

Nice video :good: i hope i see some of this tomorow.

Posted

Warnings out for where i live so we know what that means - no storms here!

Mind, the clouds are well broken and sea breezes should not really be a factor today and plus as the clouds are high based even if sea breezes develop i assume it won't make to much of an effect. Very warm and humid so whats the excuse not to see at least a shower?, know my luck, we will stay dry today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Nice vid Paul...just proves how well isolated the storms have been so far.

No indications so far of anything forthcoming but it's early yet. One thing is for sure though, its a damn sight hotter than yesterday.

EDIT : Already 25c at Hawarden with 20c dewpoint according to XC weather.

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted

I can already see a lovely tower to the north of me! Nothing elsewhere though...

The Met Office warnings are not covering my area which is strange as all forecasts i've seen include me!

Ine thing I certainly don't like is the strength of this southerly breeze - it might push everything north quickly!

Karyo

Posted

Couple a heavy rain shrs here in last few mins.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Only a matter of time before showers start to break out up here in the north

infact convection has initiated already just south of Hexham in Northumberland.

According to 0z radiosonde (Albermarle) convection temperature should be around

24°C its now 23°C here on the coast so many inland areas should have reached this

also Dp's here are now 18.6°C, pretty sure you wont have to travel to far to catch

one of these storms today...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I still get the feeling that today will see the showers miss a narrow strip of the Tyne & Wear coast, although at least it should be sunny there for a change. I think there are still sea breezes in the area, but less pronounced than before hence the lack of low cloud. Only time will tell though.

Edit: actually if South Shields is at 23C I guess there mustn't be much of a sea breeze about!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
Warnings out for where i live so we know what that means - no storms here!

Mind, the clouds are well broken and sea breezes should not really be a factor today and plus as the clouds are high based even if sea breezes develop i assume it won't make to much of an effect. Very warm and humid so whats the excuse not to see at least a shower?, know my luck, we will stay dry today.

Early this morning we had quite a hefty 'couple of showers' with the heaviest coming

through around 6am, also lightning was detected off the NE coast i was up and awake

at that time and i didn't observe any electrical activity but it was quite far off the coast

so technically it has already rained today, but i'm sure someone around these parts will get

a Ts and with them being slow moving large amounts of rain will accompany these storms.

None or very little sea-breeze about .

Posted

This is proberly the earlyest iv know for things to kick off lets hope it kicks of in SW england later tonight :o il keep dreaming.

Posted

Towers building to W/NW of Darlington, they look some miles away (Teesdale?) one has a lovely anvil top, still very sunny and warm here :o

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Lancs SW Bowland, 12 miles NE of Preston. Fast growing cauilflowers over the higher

Pennines to E and N E of here at present.

Temp 25.5C at the mo. Tiring sultry conditions despite a light S breeze.

The Lancs storm in the early morning, 3-4am, was just west of here so we only had about 1mm rain. Woken up by the rumblings. Very humid at the time. Got up to make a cup of tea and sweat was trickling down my back.

I have relatives and friends in the Southport area. Must get in touch and see how they fared.

Posted

Looks like the Pennines are really helping to the lift of these showers atm, and also seem to following what the BBC have forecasted (down the spine of the UK)

Posted

updated 12.17

UK regions:

Wales

South West England

Heavy Rain Thu 2 Jul

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting Wales and southwestern areas of England during Thursday. Heavy, thundery rain will spread northeastwards during the day. Local downpours could generate 25 to 50 mm of rainfall. The rain will ease from the south during the second part of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That is a lovely shower moving up through the NE, with another hot on it's tail.

Notice the warning for the SW and Wales for tomorrow, noting drying from the S later. Also noticed on the MetO that tomorrow day and night is supposed to be dry in the SE.

Seems at this stage the small hope I had for imports has faded away.

Still though, 36 hours for that to change :o

Edited by Harry