Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook & Discussion Mon 6th July 09

Posted
It's definitely getting closer now, so hopefully it wont weaken because it's coming straight for me :(

Any rumbles yet mate? whats your post code ill go on netw extra radar and ill take a looksie :(

Posted
Any rumbles yet mate? whats your post code ill go on netw extra radar and ill take a looksie :(

Nah not heard anything yet. DN16 Mate :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

First line of showers just arriving here in SE London, with radar showing another band behind.

Havn't heard any thunder yet, or seen any lightning for that matter but pretty gusty winds.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
Nah not heard anything yet. DN16 Mate <_<

You never know, still decent CAPE around, only thing that worries me is declining surface temps, if any mod could give me some information please whether or not the Surface temps make much difference when its a LP system with the unstable air flow, will showers die out quickly?

Theres an image SUFC;

post-2644-1246898718_thumb.png

Edited by Lewis

Posted
I think the worst of it was further north than you?

Very possibly, I think we just caught the tail of it here- rain wasn't prolonged (just wet!)

e2a:- looking at the NW radar the squall line raked right the way along the N. Norfolk coast...

Edited by evil monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Getting very black here now.... edit just starting to rain, no electrics yet, quite gusty winds though!

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Not scrolled back yet

Just got in from work and boy what a active afternoon we have had today> Started kicking off around 1250 this afternoon, lasted until around 1410hrs. In that period i counted around 15 loud rumbles of thunder, at its peak i was counting a rumble every 3 minutes, then itn started raining , ive never seen rain like that before, it was like a monsoon, torrential rain at times, Ive gust got back home from work , and my weather station recorded 16.6mm rain in that period,

Looks like it could kick off again

nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just got home from work as some torrential downpours are developing over us- roads are flooding that I've never seen flood before! Also, for the past 15 minutes, there's been frequent thunder, and I've finally manages to catch a glimpse of some lightning, even though as I type its sunny here! Not sure which way they're going to move as we seem to be pretty much right under the low here! Anyway, I'm off to enjoy the show!

bb

Posted

Third thundery shower of the day. Heavy rain and 2 flashes of lightning so far out of this one. nothing spectacular all day apart from the monsoon at 12.30.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
Sunshine and showers in Exeter, including a very heavy one around 11:30am, but no thunder. Most of the activity has been further north- the showers over Ireland have tended to fizzle over the Irish Sea and develop into relatively small shower-heads over Devon and Cornwall, providing the breeding ground for storms further north and east.

Unusual but not unprecedented. In June 1980, Newcastle Weather Centre reported 9 days with thunder, of which 5 occurred on the 22nd-26th inclusive. On my Cleadon weather records dating to 1993, the record is 4 thunder-days out of 4 (1-4 July 2007) and 5 thunder-days in one month (also July 2007).

When i said unprecedented i meant to add since late 70's early 80's i'm old enough to remember the storms of the 70's especially the breakdown of the 76' heatwave (never seen so many lightning strikes with many occurring at the same time).

The storms to the south (Teeside area) are taking a lifetime to reach here and are losing intensity looks like

it'll be just steady rain with sporadic heavier bursts along the coast. Thought today would have herald some

wicked storms with all that available energy around , still a bit time left for the storms to intensify but i think

it will be 30-40 miles south of Tyne & Wear...hope i'm wrong...

Posted
Theres an image SUFC;

Cheers for posting that image mate. That shower isn't going to make it here, but it's still been a good day <_<

Hiya Woodster :D

Edited by sufc

Posted

Sorry i forgot to mention i was at work In Gateshead when this storm arrived, place called Windy Nook {i love that name Lol] parts of the hospital were flooded , {where i work}

Posted

Im just in the southern sector of the Low's Circulation now and can see some CBs around that are strangely starting to create a "stadium-wall" effect as the Centre of the Low passes over to the NorthEast. Some nice Anvils in the clear-slots but Ive only heard 1 rumble of thunder so far today.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

heavy rain eased off one rumble of Thunder just a few minutes ago. Peak rain rate of 68.8mm per hour. Cell still building so more maybe to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just saw something rather cool- The sun was shining in the west with the huge developing storm just to our east, in that extra dark effect you get when the sun's out. It was raining moderately and there was a big, flattish double rainbow right across the cloud and then a single for of IC lightning right across the rainbow! Excellent- and for info it seems to be moving very slowly to the east or northeast while developing on its southern end- York or Selby, perhaps, might be the places to be on the lookout!

bb

Posted

On Rain Today just tracking that cell directly to my west. Should reach here soon. Third time lucky?

Not been a total non event today of course. There has been some activity; frequent heavy showers with the odd rumble of thunder and some lightning thrown in. But not really anything I would describe as a 'storm' so we're still in the no storms club here IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well now a peak rate of 111.8mm per hour. cell still building but no more thunder. Although it's bright to the north west more cells are going up there I wonder if they'll merge.

Posted

Nice but small storm moving in here: see pic

Some thunder.

post-5508-1246900269_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Thunder in Bexleyheath! <_<

Posted

Er, we have some sort of lowering here. it's hidden behind the trees tho!