• Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

post-4475-1246906683_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246906694_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246906756_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246906768_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246906779_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1246906810_thumb.jpg

As you can see how intensfying the rain was today, not vewry good shots cos , i was in the car, No way was i getting out the car in that lot

Posted

As you can see how intensfying the rain was today, not vewry good shots cos , i was in the car, No way was i getting out the car in that lot

Great pictures, looks very intense i must say, it's raining heavily here now but not as heavy as that. Thanks for the upload mate. Did you manage to get any pictures of lightning?

lewis

Posted
Thats the direction i saw the lowering over the hills earlier and at that time! Although i could only see the very top of it. May have been to far away to be the same one though? altho it is directly to my east where i was looking.

Hi mate,could have been the same one ,it was quite long ,a good portion of it was horizontal however very skinny. I also thought i could see another funnel developing to my west, but couldnt hang around too long to observe as i was late picking my son up.

Posted
Great pictures, looks very intense i must say, it's raining heavily here now but not as heavy as that. Thanks for the upload mate. Did you manage to get any pictures of lightning?

lewis

With all that rain there was no way i was getting out of the car, there was quite a bit of lightning too, but in the end i could barely see out of the car window , May be next time

Posted
Thanks for that, good to hear but also quite frustrating as I was stuck at work in Consett at the time.

Did you get any pics?

I was at work also so no pics sadly.

I work near whickham so i was under the edge of the storm when one of the other lads got a phone call from his dad saying there was a tornado near stanley!,i looked out the south facing window and sure enough on the edge of the storm cloud was a small funnel cloud which could be clearly seen rotating i guess 3 or 4 miles away.

Never thought i'd see one of those in this neck of the woods.

here is the radar from that time,quite a menacing storm it was.

Posted

Todays lowest pressure was 992.3 mb, we had 5 thunderstorms in total (only 3 over-head) frequent CG, hail, heavy rain, gusty winds. And there still could be more rain, and not to mention tomorrow is looking like a repeat picture :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
Todays lowest pressure was 992.3 mb, we had 5 thunderstorms in total (only 3 over-head) frequent CG, hail, heavy rain, gusty winds. And there still could be more rain, and not to mention tomorrow is looking like a repeat picture :doh:

Lewis,

check it out just to the west of us. Everything is rotating about a point between Hull and York and there is more heavy convection on the way!

Can hear rumbles few and far between at the mo but cannot pinpoint direction: dark clouds all around but no rain for a few hours now.

Will post a storm report in the appropriate thread later for the one I watched lunchtime: it was surreal!

Muff

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Blimey that's wet Stormchaser. We've had very little rain really. Was able to get back to the gardening late afternoon. Looks dreadfully black northeastwards from here towards your direction and been like that for the last 2 hrs. Some blue skies to the southwest.

Posted
Amazingly not seen a single shower here (not that im complaining), just fine sunny and warm :D , huge towers have been building up around me all day, but for some reason never materilise and just drift away. When i was waiting for the train the Liverpool to Leeds train was delayed by 20minutes "due to adverse weather conditons", and there was a warning out on the platform "for all passengers to take extra care due to lying water", even though it was dry and suuny, most were in t-shirts and shorts and dresses it was that nice weather. We didnt even see a shower on Saturday and Sunday!!! So 3 days in a row dry fine sunny weather :) .

Anyway to show how close i am to been under the storm over West/East yorkshire, (if you cant guess my house is under the purple dot :doh: )post-8968-1246906580_thumb.jpg

Also, of notice is the beeb forecast i saw earlier today, the presenter was talking about "home grown showers(she probs meant storms :) )", which i havent heard of a presenter talk about before.

EDIT: does anyone here live in Liverpool, was it really bad out there, around 3pm

There has been some local flooding but not really anything exceptional

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I was indoors during the storm, but I was by a window facing the centre of it. Every 10-15 seconds there was a lovely bolt of lightning, and I nearly dashed out to build an ark! :doh:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

This is the thunderstorm that produced the funnel/tornado in Stanley and also these

beautiful undulatus clouds, the pictures were taken from South Shields a good 15 mile

away from Stanley it was moving over Newcastle at the time 10 mile away approx.

This is the thunderstorm that produced the funnel/tornado in Stanley and also these

beautiful undulatus clouds, the pictures were taken from South Shields a good 15 mile

Nice :doh:

Posted

Very impressive :doh:

Posted

What effect do you use on the image editor to make it that black/white dark, do you use photoshop

lewis?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had a torrential storm about half an hour ago with probably the heaviest rain here since June 19th 2007 - 15.8mm has fallen from that storm alone and to top it all off - one flash of bright lightning and two big bangs of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Incredibly heavy showers/rain almost tropical on my cycle to North-westish london :D not a single rumble of thunder rumble

after some of the crazy forcasts such as 'risk of strong tornado's' and severe t-storms i was def expecting more :doh:

were there any signif. t-storms in southern england? i only saw radar at around 2pm + i know the north had lots ofc :)