Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook & Discussion Mon 6th July 09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A short heavy shower around 1730 g.m.t gave 4 minutes of 7-9 mm hail here. Soft leaves such as Nastursiumus were covered in holes and rips after it. One clap of thunder to the south east as it moved away.

Had a torrential storm about half an hour ago with probably the heaviest rain here since June 19th 2007 - 15.8mm has fallen from that storm alone and to top it all off - one flash of bright lightning and two big bangs of thunder.

You have given me a glimmer of hope :)

But it may have already gone past :)

Edit is this what you saw? snapshot-4.jpg

Edited by RAIN RAIN RAIN

Posted
10pm Sun

Moderate Risk of General Thundery Showers 06-21Z UK & Eire

Slight Risk Severe Thunderstorm Southern Ireland, Wales and Southern UK 06-18Z

Slight Risk of Strong Tornadoes Southern UK, Wales, E.Anglia and South Midlands 06-18Z

Probably the most serious forecast that I have posted to the UKWW so far this year;

Deep break away upper trough moves east through Monday increasing lift with steep lapse rates at all levels. Moderate divergent upper jet stream further increases lift with primary focus to the front left exit region. Increasing low level jet at 850mb establishes strong low level shear. Models currently develop high CAPE values as heavy surface moisture advects east mixing with mild air from the south. Potential instability is utilised as dry incursion pushes through inline with the predicted surface trough. Strong vertically stacked PVA max builds over Wales and moves east adding to stronger convective potential.

Quite a day in store with potential for non severe convective gusts of around 30kts based on mean average values from 800mb to 600mb. Threat of large hail and defined risk of one or more strong tornado events are possible.

Particular attention is given to southern UK late in the day where the low level jet is shown to increase and overrun lighter winds at surface. Whilst winds would seem to be straight lined the speed shear should compensate to increase low level field vorticity. Upper winds are strong but show only slight increase with height hense a SLIGHT risk of Severe Thunderstorms is expected ATM.

This situation will require close monitoring through Monday for a possible upgrade.

There appears to be a problem with nw atm, this text is only showing up and i cant acces any other pages

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Look like NE England did best today. Some stunning pics, well done everyone who posted them.

Tomorrow looking quite good for widespread storms too, although with the emphasis probably diminishing across western most areas later in the afternoon.

ukasf have issued a forecast :)

http://ukasf.co.uk/module-Storm/mode-forecast/id-236/

Posted
This is the thunderstorm that produced the funnel/tornado in Stanley and also these

beautiful undulatus clouds, the pictures were taken from South Shields a good 15 mile

away from Stanley it was moving over Newcastle at the time 10 mile away approx.

Super pics NL, very dramatic looking skies.

Well done to everyone else who have posted pics. :)

Edited by Koppite

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
What effect do you use on the image editor to make it that black/white dark, do you use photoshop

lewis?

Hi Lewis all i use is contrast/brightness and occasionally i use sharpen nothing else.

Thanks for the comments, just always looking up and being lucky..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Slightly disappointing here today - some thunder and squally showers but nothing that active. A lot just missed us - North and West Norfolk (the Wash in particular) had some lively weather, but not here.

Posted
post-8968-1246911747_thumb.jpgcan someone help me please for some reason all the posts look like this, please can some one PM me if they know what to do

Posted
I can confirm the stanley twister! first time i have seen anything like it,a small funnel cloud which kept appearing and disappearing right on the edge of the thunderstorm which was affecting the newcastle area at around 1.45pm.

Have just double checked location on a map and yes, that fits nicely with where it appeared to be.

It was so well defined one minute and little more than a whisp moments later.

Glad to see some confirmation!

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
I enjoyed all your pictures, but I'm sure the Tourism Board will be knocking on your door tomorrow, especially you Nigel. :)

Evening Roger

Thats The North East for you lol, No storms for ages then well ive lost count how many we had since last week , lol

Looks like the North East Shield has finally been broken

Posted
post-8968-1246911747_thumb.jpgcan someone help me please for some reason all the posts look like this, please can some one PM me if they know what to do

Goto options right hand corner of page and open then go down to display modes highlight standard.. everything should go back to normal.

Posted
Evening Roger

Thats The North East for you lol, No storms for ages then well ive lost count how many we had since last week , lol

Looks like the North East Shield has finally been broken

More warnings for eastern England for tomorrow from Meto so going to take a decent camera with me just in case. Office bound though so unlikely to see much...

Posted

Well what a day!!!

I missed all the storms this afternoon as i was in the office, but i managed to catch a couple of bits of thunder and lighting.

I have just been for a drive to South Cave and Market Weigton and the rain there was torrential it was unreal!

Posted
Certainly no storms here (See username for more details)

NW detector shows a few strikes scattered around our area this evening as a series of downpours have moved through but nothing seen/heard by me. I now have nearly half an inch in my gauge with another heavy shower adding to it right now.

Very interesting to see how the train of showers has edged ever so slowly Northwards during the afternoon/evening with places over S.Wilts that received a lot this afternoon now being mostly dry & vice versa for the Central/Northern parts of the county.

Posted

Had some very heavy rain today. Its been on and off virtually all day but no thunder or lightning unfortunately. Amazing images earlier in this discussion by the way. Every weather organisation has given and has updated warnings today. ESTOFEX now giving a level 1 for tornadoes in the SE.

Posted

looking at sat pics looks like Austria/Northern Italy (Tyrol) & the French/Spain (Pyrenees) areas are having good storms,

now please export them to Brit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

wow what a day some great heavy downpoors, then to top it off an unexpected chase of a nice defined gust front and interception. Went right over my head then a short sharp storm behind it. A fantastic highlight of the day and I did get some footage of it although when I went under it and the gust hit my camcorder battery died! Oh well I still have most of it on tape :D

YES YES YES!

Posted

There was some really good structure around in the south today, I had a little chase from the New Forest to Alton. Some flooding and tree damage, and the odd bit of sheet lightning. I have put some pics up here http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...t&p=1560409

Steve

Posted

Well around 8.15 our power went off for 45 mins. Almost missed Torchwood. Did not hear any thunder but lots of heavy rain!

Posted

Plenty of strikes in the north sea east of scotland,maybe some lightning visible later on for any members on eastern coasts.

Posted
There was some really good structure around in the south today, I had a little chase from the New Forest to Alton. Some flooding and tree damage, and the odd bit of sheet lightning. I have put some pics up here http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...t&p=1560409

Steve

I had the exact same shower about hour ago.

Heavy downpours and reports of flooding in my area!

I had never seen the sky go so dark so quick, And had a good structure to the storm :D

Pictures look great and I know a few spots from the photos :D