Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms And Convective Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Its not all over guys, maybe tonights antics are, but hey, winter can produce some fantastic storms too....we've still got our little atlantic storm season to come aswell. Tonights forecast was for scattered Thunderstorms, you can't have an expectation when the word scattered is involved.

There are some cells in the SE vicinity, but you'd be very lucky to get one. Enjoy your weekend folks, have a good one, and don't let the weather get you down, we've all plenty more days of weather to catch in our lives.

Posted

Its still getting going down Biggin Hill way on radar, and not moving much, on a clearer night I might get a look, I hate this weather, can't see for dust.

Ultra headache and distant sheet flashes spotted to my South.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

I'm looking forward to those deep Lows with 60-70mph gusts. Higher would be nice, but I live it a sheltered and built up area so damage would be a problem. laugh.gif I love snow too, but only if it's ridiculously heavy and prolonged, not any of these light-moderate snow flurries that leave a few centimetres on the ground. laugh.gif And not forgetting thundersnow, which occured in Kent this year..could happen again.

We had some excellent Thundersnow here in 2008, within 3 hours we had 12 inches lying on the hills. All courtesy of a Streamer that developed up the Irish sea. Its getting to that time of year were any showery activity with convection produces some good hail showers. I'm looking forward to unsettled weather returning, don't know when it will become extreme, HP looks to be pretty set on sticking round to the SW for a good 1-2 weeks still, but we will see a return to some good fun, windy, wet, showery weather sooner or later.

Posted

Lol

Everyone has gone to bed and the Radar is springing into life, never give up until the fat lady sings, anyone from around the East London or North West Kent area seeing or hearing anything as it looks like a line is forming and heading east atm

Paul S

Posted

Lol

Everyone has gone to bed and the Radar is springing into life, never give up until the fat lady sings, anyone from around the East London or North West Kent area seeing or hearing anything as it looks like a line is forming and heading east atm

Paul S

nowt here, but London really is firing the stuff up tonight, and it all has to move east at some point due to the approaching cold front. Problem is, it will move northeast by the looks of it, so most of Kent is out of the firing line.:nonono:

Posted

Hi MW

Well the line is now extending down to the South Coast so you never know, when WAA Comes into play you can never give up just because it goes past Midnight etc, the Weather just does not play ball like that as you well know. This reminds me of the Stormchasing in the States, after all the fun of the previous day and evening meal we get the Low Level Jet coming into play and we regularly see an MCS Form but the timing can be anytime from 1-6am, so if you want sleep you are buggered LOL

Gonna watch another few radar runs b4 I hit the Sack!

Paul S

Posted

2 hours kip, time for a check - looks like we have storms over southern West Sussex, drifting NNEwards. Flash Warnings as well - quite unexpected. :)

Well nowt woke me up,little damp under foot,looks like the whole thing has thrown the towel in :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ended up in Rochester/Chatham last night. Saw some of the lightning towards to NW Kent - same problems for me however - visibility was so poor (misty/foggy) I could only see illuminations (just) as opposed to any detail.

Still was happy to have seen what I saw - had I stayed home though would have seen/heard more :(

Ne'er mind - turning out to be a very disappointing end to our 'storm season' (or season where storms are realistically achieved) - couple of flashes in August, and ditto so far for September...bring on 2010 in the plains!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Cyprus Friday

One dead and six injured

Gosh!! My nice neighbours have been over there on a weeks holiday and returning today! I will see if they know anything about it. There was also an earthquake over there last week!

Posted

I was woken up at 1.30am by very loud Thunder! Checking net weather radar showed a storm developed at just after 1am about a mile or two off shore. We had Thunder for about an hour, but storm never moved inland. Hardly any rain, but a mile out to sea, rain rates were impressive. Why did storm just sit there!?

Posted

Was in Blackheath last night (SE3) and caught a flash of light, and blamed it on someone's camera flash reflecting in the window of the pub rolleyes.gif

Doesnt look like I would have missed much, but I do wish I had stepped outside to double check if it was a thunderstorm or not laugh.gif

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Was staying in the Croydon area of S London last night and there was torrential rain for nearly an hour in the early hours, noticed a few distant flashes but no thunder heard.

00z Herstmonceux ascent showed fairly unstable mid-levels, ascent of elevated moist layer advecting N (evident between 750-850mb) through convergence and uplift by the trough may have contributed to the trains of heavy downpours last night across Sussex, Surrey and London:

post-1052-12534444924349_thumb.gif

Looks like a lengthy spell of settled and dry weather coming up for the south at least, as HP builds in from the S and SW. So back to boring weather :(:)

Posted

My dad sent me an email yesterday to say he had some wild storms Weds and Thursday this week (Eastern Spain)and a waterspout/tornado a mile up the coast in Javea/xabia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xinbyZQZXqk&NR=1

there was actually two tornados..This is one of them and also Italy reported a few more...

Majorca recently as been battered with quite a few Storm's...

And spain and Italy..or Germany one of f the two

Here!!! boring :unsure:

not s ure about last week Jane in Cyprus

but im gutted I was ONE week out to see storms..

:)

Im being punished for seeing amazing lightning

this year.. :)

came back here and NOTHING...well a small storm thats about it..

which would I prefer Teddy bear Storms UK

Or Big Berth's US

No Contest..

CHECK THIS OUT...7,200 FPS :whistling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y4an99MBGk&feature=player_embedded#t=40

AND THIS AWSOME TIMELAPSE STORM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k4oriQ_rwY&feature=channel_page

SORRY MODS back on topic

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Dogs, I wish you were out with us in May 2008, if you thought tours 1 and 2 2009 were good you ain't seen nothing yet.

Anyway, the long haul through winter and before you know it you'll be chasing them Motherships across the plains, lets hope May 2010 is more active than this year.

Have found the storms here this summer rather disappointing ... then, so have been the last 2-3 summers.

Posted

Hi Nick,

Yes Paul keeps telling me..

Even though the storm's were amazing compared to here according to you and Paul

the best is yet to come...

Can Thunderstorms get better than Plainview or Clinton.. :)

That was SCIFI stuff...

They reckon by past events on forums if they get a low active year like this year

we will get an outbreak next year or the next...

According to past experiences from the guys who chase them.

Its not often you get 2 bad years of lack of twister in a row..

So the future is looking bright :)

so bright I have to wear shades :)

good times ahead Nick I reckon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Dogs, that is an awesome time lapse! For all the critics on here, it goes to prove that no matter how calm, no matter how clear the skies, no matter how much lack of solar heating there is (it was hardly a 'humid looking' evening either was it - i.e little haze/cloud in the skies etc) that big, billowing thunderstorms can move in and erupt from seemingly nothing!! The second storm in the time lapse is the most demonstrative of that - how much energy there must have been available to get that billowing Cb! Awesome!

Posted

I thought some of you would like it...

Now thats what Im after now.....Time lapse at night...

Though the guy is using a very expensive camera

Time to experiment I think...In these cold winter clear nights..

Edited by dogs32

Posted

That is one hell of a time lapse video....one minute you've got your eye on the clear skies, the shooting stars, satellites, next the cloud rolls in, the lightning starts and wow, some awesome skies, watching the clouds move and form, the lightning, wow, it was just phenomenal....