Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion

Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Impressive radar return from that cell over Bristol. Probably hail in there given the 250mm per hour rainfall rate at its core. Looks a nice decent size too with smaller cells/showers following on behind. Cold airmass overiding warm SSTs creating a few 100j/kg of CAPE and steep lapses, have helped develop some nice looking showers as well as the odd storm. Nice!

post-9715-12572770056176_thumb.png

Tomorrow is looking equally promising for some storms too, especially so towards the south west, Wales and maybe even perhaps the West Midlands. The conditions are certainly favourable for some active showers.

There was thunder & lightning from that cell. It passed to the South of me, & I am South of Bristol.

Good storm though, must have been 15-25 lightning strikes, loud booms of thunder. Better than any storm we had this summer, which is difficult as we only had one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There was thunder & lightning from that cell. It passed to the South of me, & I am South of Bristol.

Good storm though, must have been 15-25 lightning strikes, loud booms of thunder. Better than any storm we had this summer, which is difficult as we only had one.

Haha. Only one loud bang of thunder here, and a few rumbles but mostly lightning a long way away, and if you say it was to YOUR south... Oh well, an exciting end to the day, that's why night-time thunderstorms are so much easier to see!

I notice a lot of similar looking blobs out to the west and as mentioned the conditions are right for thunderstorms so hopefully one will track a bit further north than the last one which once again stayed to the south :wallbash:.

Posted

Seems a squall line just passed through here. Was calm then suddenly noise increased outside and there was torrential rain and strong winds for a couple minutes, Now its died down but still raining moderate to heavy. Ive been watching these showers and the storm near Bristol. A nice little bit of activity around by the looks of it.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Just been to Yeovil and saw a bit of lightning in the distance which lit up Yeovil northwest sky!!

Lets hope we are in for more!

Posted

Haha. Only one loud bang of thunder here, and a few rumbles but mostly lightning a long way away, and if you say it was to YOUR south... Oh well, an exciting end to the day, that's why night-time thunderstorms are so much easier to see!

I notice a lot of similar looking blobs out to the west and as mentioned the conditions are right for thunderstorms so hopefully one will track a bit further north than the last one which once again stayed to the south tongue.gif.

It grazed the Southern part of Weston, spoke to a mate who live in Hutton which is a small village just South of Weston. It sounds like he got it worse than I did.

Looks like a bigger storm is heading our way and tracking further north. Looks like some potent cells with in it.

Posted

It grazed the Southern part of Weston, spoke to a mate who live in Hutton which is a small village just South of Weston. It sounds like he got it worse than I did.

Looks like a bigger storm is heading our way and tracking further north. Looks like some potent cells with in it.

Yes I've noticed that too, some good sferics associated with that. The storm that passed to your south seems to have joined up into one longer area of rain which is probably the same one that caused the squall line that StormMad26 reported. Here's hoping, fingers crossed.

Posted

Yes I've noticed that too, some good sferics associated with that. The storm that passed to your south seems to have joined up into one longer area of rain which is probably the same one that caused the squall line that StormMad26 reported. Here's hoping, fingers crossed.

It's just started to rain here, no activity yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Wish they would come my way!! lol .It's been sunshine and showers here all day with a little convection. Enjoy yer storms whoever gets one.smile.gif

Posted

It's just started to rain here, no activity yet.

I can see that on the radar now. The whole system seems to have changed shape and edged southwards at the last minute so I willl probably get left with light to mdoerate stuff. How annoying. Haven't seen any more lightning or heard thunder either.

Posted

I can see that on the radar now. The whole system seems to have changed shape and edged southwards at the last minute so I willl probably get left with light to mdoerate stuff. How annoying. Haven't seen any more lightning or heard thunder either.

Just getting rain here too. As you said the storm has moved South and again just clipping the South part of Weston.

Posted

Had a good storm here this morning about 08.00, huge flash of lightning started as a bright ball out over the sea, then just seemed to explode in all directions, very bright as the clouds were black, then huge booming thunder followed almost immediately and torrential rain and hail and strong winds,lovely. Maybe a repeat tomorrow, storm chances still looking good!

Posted

UKASF have issued their storm forecast for tomorrow, again covering the entire UK

:D

Storm Forecast Issued: 2009-11-03 23:42:00

Valid: 2009-11-04 00:00:00 - 2009-11-04 23:59:00

Regions Affected

All of the United Kingdom (excluding eastern Scotland and northeast England, which are included under a WATCH)

Synopsis

A quasi-stationary area of LOW pressure located to the northwest of Scotland will dominate the weather across the United Kingdom on Wednesday.

Numerous showers and thunderstorms are expected to develop across many western and southern portions of the UK as a result of various troughs and convergence zones embedded in the anticlockwise flow around the area of LOW pressure. Light winds across eastern Scotland and much of eastern England should prevent many, if any, showers reaching here, and hence the storm risk is reduced.

Elsewhere, showers (and hence electrical activity) will be most frequent within proximity of western and southern coastlines, and a few may reach eastern areas due to the strength of the wind. Differences between land and sea surface temperatures are likely to result in quite a few thunderstorms developing over the North Sea, moving E/NEwards.

Conditions may be slightly favourable, particularly over Southwest England and Southern Ireland, for the development of a funnel or weak tornado. Showers will persist across many coastal districts overnight.

Nothing from ESTOFEX or TORRO (although they picked the right box late yesterday morning for the Hants storm).

Here are some pretty pictures for you to colour in.......

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_36.GIF

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_12_00Z.png

PGNE14_CL.gif

MU_London_avn.png

gfs_cape_eur12.png

LOC_20091104_0300.png

Seems to me to be in the Channel today, I can see a lot of CU building out to sea right now.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Netweather storm forecast for today, not likely to see any severe weather (unlike yesterday!!):

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=964e30b90377c6c770fed10402b246d1

Some interesting chat about yesterdays tornadoes across Hampshire on UKww, site investigation today too:

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=33244&start=41&posts=60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Quite an organized line of heavy showers feeding into Wales and SW England..The odd sferic already showing up on NW Extra...It will be interesting to see if thunderstorms pop up as this band feeds further inland :rolleyes:

Posted

Just seen a report of Tornado (unconfirmed) in hamshire, near romsey and timsbury along A3057

Yea Daniel said that people are IBM were saying there was tornado yesterday. I said did anyone see it at all and he said no. So I dismissed it and said I doubt it very much. But he said it got extremely windy very very quickly and then died down. He is in Hurlsey so close the the A3057.

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

Just had a courier turn up at work saying there was golf ball size hail near Westonblink.gif .

Edited by SteveB

Posted

ah I see-little drizzle showers!

Drizzle eh!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Chaos_as_mini_tornado_hits_at_lunchtime&in_article_id=762098&in_page_id=34

"It also saw torrential rain batter the area, with several inches falling in Winchester in a matter of minutes. "

Pah i'm annoyed I didn't see the tornado :-( Sooooooo close too!

I don' think it was on me but I was close. Couldn't see the houses across the street at one point due to the torrential rain and the wind.

I didn't think about a tornado at the time!

Posted

A brilliant clean convective day today : there was a constant line of CBs passing to the W/SW of of the area from dawn until 09.00 and this streamer gradually moved overhead to give heavy rain through the mid-morning period.

This afternoon had a longer spell of heavy rain in the last few hours and the NW radar suggests almost half an inch of rain in that time.

Posted

Forming SW of me, somewhere over Brighton:

post-6667-12573506868748_thumb.gif

post-6667-12573507003867_thumb.gif

post-6667-12573514148017_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Another nice line of heavy showers pushing into the North-West Midlands, I might just see a flash or two yet!

post-4149-12573548139004.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Just a few heavy showers here.

Yesterday we had a fairly heavy hailstorm :pardon: First one ive seen ALL year!

Posted

HI All,

Going back to the typo error at the begining of this thread I have a old 1960' Shortland aneroid that actually goes down 870millibarsshok.gif .Does anyone know the lowest ever pressure in Britain the figure 912mbs seems to spring to mind from a old Guinness Book Of Records from years ago but Im not sure(it could of been 922mbswacko.gif ).You cant check records like that these days from GBOR's its too full of sport.mad.gif

Regards Les.

Posted

More potential again today?

post-6667-12574087584448_thumb.gif

Storm Forecast

Valid: Thu 05 Nov 2009 06:00 to Fri 06 Nov 2009 06:00 UTC

Issued: Wed 04 Nov 2009 23:39

Forecaster: PUCIK

A level 1 was issued for a belt from SE Italy to Montenegro, Albania mainly for tornadoes and excessive precipitation.

SYNOPSIS

A broad, cyclonic vortex over most of Western Europe will persist also during this forecast period. With strong mid-level jet streak at its rear flank with speeds over 40 m/s at 500 hPa level, an impulse will result in the significant trough amplification and a subsequent cyclogensis over the Mediterranean. Strong flow will surround this trough, which is expected to stretch from Scandinavia to Algiers by Friday morning. Most of it will be filled with cool, maritime airmass with cold front strengthening over the Ionian and Adriatic sea.

Most of Europe will be under a extensive surface low pressure system with two centres - one over the Northern Sea and another one over the Central Mediterranean.

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_36.GIF

PGNE14_CL.gif

Rtavn1211.png

gfs_cape_eur12.png

gfs_spout_eur12.png

gfs_stp_eur12.png

LOC_20091105_0300.png

Had this little beauty looking down on me on the way into work:

post-6667-12574090663047_thumb.jpg