Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion

Harry

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Recent sferics over the Lampeter area of SW Wales on the Atd detector. Some quite heavy returns in a linear area of cells between Swansea and Aberystwyth around 8-16mm/hr

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I saw a flash to the east followed 20 seconds later by a loud long rumble, as I was photographing the culprit clouds half hour ago.

Lovely big long Cb line to the north and east with Mammatus too. This was the first thunder since June!

Posted

Nice mammatus, the long Cb line and spectacular colours to the east.

post-2595-12562324362476_thumb.jpg post-2595-12562325088747_thumb.jpg post-2595-12562326410794_thumb.jpg post-2595-12562327381292_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Kicking off here in Ashford Kent, Heavy rain, Frequent lightning and thunder, slow moving and very local!

Posted

Nice indeed, A pleasant suprise to say the least. The cell in the channel is quite intense! Lightning every minute now some fantastic CG's in there too. Lights just dimmed

What a bonus! :clap:

Posted

My lights just flickered then ... :clap:

Does look good on the radar, looks like another cell to the south headed for Ashford:

post-1052-12562453483732_thumb.png

Posted

hhmmmm ESTOFEX have issued a level 1 for Ireland tomorrow for...wind :S.

Maybe im just having a dull moment but could someone explain their forecast?

"A strong depression approaches Ireland during the night hours from the WSW. A strongly sheared warm sector covers Ireland and some MUCAPE is forecast. Even without electrified convection, severe wind gusts are possible within showers. Only the southern/western parts of Ireland were highlighted, bound to the position of the cold front."

P.S. It does look good in the SE

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

My lights just flickered then ... :clap:

Does look good on the radar, looks like another cell to the south headed for Ashford:

post-1052-12562453483732_thumb.png

Oh My God, It's going nuts! Something abot these autumn storms with offers a bit more in the way of excitement, clearer air or something and the bolts of lightning are just tremendous!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Huge bolt of lightning across the horizon!!!!

WOW WOW

Posted

Wow

Anyone in the Southend or SE Essex area look to the SE, The sky is going crazy lighting up every few seconds. Looks very very electrical!

Paul S

Posted

Oh My God, It's going nuts! Something abot these autumn storms with offers a bit more in the way of excitement, clearer air or something and the bolts of lightning are just tremendous!

Sky is lightning up frequently to my E/SE, you lucky devil! Some strong radar returns between Rye and Ashford.

Some sharp showers popping up over the South Downs NW of Brighton too.

Posted

You lucky lucky people :clap: One massive cell is providing a light show for all of you down there. Could be some hail in that cell judging by the 250mm per hour rainfall rate at its core.

Yep, can confirm hail here. Absolute chaos, car alarms, dogs going ape and a very soggy cat.

Flooding a realdanger now as drains are clogged with leaves and raining very hard! More to come according to radar.

Posted

I am quite impressed by the vividness of the lightning to my east, its almost as if I'm right on the edge it's so bright, even though the edge of the precip is some 20-30 miles away to the east.

Going to be some high spot totals given the storms are training over a localised area roughly between Rye through Ashford up to Faversham.

Posted

Very local but great to watch , october aswell lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Brilliant light show going on here - the lightning is so vivid! I can almost make out anvil crawlers as well - you can see the lightning shooting across the sky, even from this far back!

It is so unexpected - great treat! Mind you, COAST....regarding my dreams and you telling me to lay off the cheese, this looks exactly how I dreamt it!!

Posted

Yep, can confirm hail here. Absolute chaos, car alarms, dogs going ape and a very soggy cat.

Flooding a realdanger now as drains are clogged with leaves and raining very hard! More to come according to radar.

Looks very active from here,would have jumped in the car and gone over that way,but i have downed half a bottle of red,bit of a bolt out the blue (or black as it is now) :clap:

Posted

Decaying though , still good to watch :clap:

Posted

Yes

Seems to be decaying from here as well, not as frequent as about 30 mins ago!

I would not rule out more convection throughout the night in the same areas though just offshore and running into the Kent and Sussex areas. More showers tomorrow morning.

I remember a few days b4 Haloween a few years ago we experienced one of our most spectacular Storms of that year, probably 3 or 4 years ago if anyone has any info on this, it struck about 8-10pm!

It did feel quite humid today as well.

Paul S

Posted

I was quite astonished and bemused when the attractive lady doing the BBC SE News weather about 5 mins ago said that there'll be a few light showers around this evening!!! Did she look at the radar in the last few hours ... lol. Michael Fish, who does SE News sometimes, wouldn't have have omitted what's going on outside?

Posted

Yep easing off a bit now, still some heavy bursts but definately less intense, seems most of the rain is just skipping to my west. More to come looking at the radar and there could be some more rumbles for the next hour or so but the big show seems over.

Posted

Yes

Seems to be decaying from here as well, not as frequent as about 30 mins ago!

I would not rule out more convection throughout the night in the same areas though just offshore and running into the Kent and Sussex areas. More showers tomorrow morning.

I remember a few days b4 Haloween a few years ago we experienced one of our most spectacular Storms of that year, probably 3 or 4 years ago if anyone has any info on this, it struck about 8-10pm!

It did feel quite humid today as well.

Paul S

Do you think there could be further electrified cells like these Kentish beauties, further on into tonight ?

The convection doesn't look so menacing further East along the channel. I am so up for a chase to the coast tonight if there was any chance.