Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

James M

Posted

Ha ha you know im having a laugh neil, it does get a bit tedious though when every one is banging on about easterlies etc etc as most often than not north and west areas get little from it apart from the cold. I was supprised to see that northern and into N.Ireland areas are now looking likley to get a pasting too. But what i would really really love to see is the whole country white. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

To get the whole country white you would typically need:

1. A frontal battleground event with the cold continental or arctic air pushing across the whole country, all areas seeing snowfalls on the poleward side of the front and ending up snow covered.

2. An easterly outbreak with a trough spreading from the North Sea sending organised bands of snow showers, merging to give longer outbreaks of snow, westwards across the whole country (in that case the east would get far more than the west, but the west would still get some). I think spells during January 1985, January 1987 and February 1991 managed this.

3. A northerly with troughs and/or polar lows bringing bands of snow south across the country (here the north would get rather more than the south). A relatively recent example was 27/28 December 2000 when only very limited areas of the country (Abingdon, parts of the south coast) missed out.

Posted

TWS - any 1 of those 3 looking likley this time round?? Im still working out what those yellows and blues mean on the models he he he Yeh im a newbie :yahoo:

Edited by Dingwantssnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

well all i can say is this cold spell is good in terms of its a cold spell.

but it rubbish for length and rubbish for anyone south and west of the midlands.

so yet again the hype for us down south was pointless and yet another winter and cold spell will pass where i have to explain to my kids your daddy is a plank and sorry i even mentioned it.

my excitement level is now 0 and i know it selfish but luck is not for the blowtourch sunny south.

long gone are the winters of old and ian brown is right this is the christmas pudding where events have become less likely the futher south you live and will in the future aswell.

anyway im gonna cook my turkey on a bbq this winter.:cold::oops::D

Posted

Well it's my turn to moan now. I was hoping for an easterly to give us a pasting like i had in 87 i thought this time it was our turn. We in the TRUE SE never got the amount of snow others got last year and miss out quite a lot contrary to popular belief.

This set up promised so much earlier than ever and now looks as though we will miss out again.

The only fact i can be pleased about is the fact i will still be able to get my christmas shopping sorted out and get my ffod in wereas the folk up north may well be snowed in. lol

Next time maybe

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Well it's my turn to moan now. I was hoping for an easterly to give us a pasting like i had in 87 i thought this time it was our turn. We in the TRUE SE never got the amount of snow others got last year and miss out quite a lot contrary to popular belief.

This set up promised so much earlier than ever and now looks as though we will miss out again.

The only fact i can be pleased about is the fact i will still be able to get my christmas shopping sorted out and get my ffod in wereas the folk up north may well be snowed in. lol

Next time maybe

Yeh we missed out big time here too , very little snow... I see the same happening again , very little snow for us in the south east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

synthetic southerners, you'll all perish in this cold spell, you can't handle the cold! :rofl::good: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

synthetic southerners, you'll all perish in this cold spell, you can't handle the cold! :rofl::good: :lol:

Na we can , we handled 1991 very well !

The railways didn't though lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Next time maybe

lol SQ1! Do you know what I got from last Feb's 'snownanza'? (There's a song there?) Zilch!! That's what... :lol: :good:

Anyhoo, it's far-too early to be writing things off yet...Wait for future developments? :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

so its not looking to great for the south just yet jeez folks relax we got a whole winter to go yet. we aint even mid way through December yet and already

some are reaching for the prozac. for the past 5 days now i have been watching the model discussion thread looking for some hope of snow up north all I seemed to be watching was 3 or 4 guys discussion models that would effect the south east of England only. jeez how great must that have been for the rest

of the forum users who don't live in that small corner of the UK. hanging on every word hoping of a mention of potential of snow for the rest of the UK and when some one posted a question pertaining to weather out with the south east it was deleted nice united forum huh

I hope and pray everyone here in the UK gets to see some snow before Xmas

forum united. drinks.gif

All I know its going to snow heavily north of Birmingham and rain down south

I'm in the middle so its 3am sleet

Going to have to get my Pyjamas on and go off to Brill Hill (600ft) to see snow

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Brill Hill, is that really its name?

Posted

synthetic southerners, you'll all perish in this cold spell, you can't handle the cold! :lol: :rofl: :lol:

You're all doomed, doomed!!! :good:

Posted

Perhaps Badboy you need to take a break from looking at every single model run and trying to think will it or won't it snow based on the output and literally being on a rollercoaster of emotion to it.

Your post above smacks of almost a "depressive" attittude to the weather, which can't be great for you.

What will happen will happen, let it be, I am sure as always happens, there are surprises in store for many in the week to 10 days ahead.

Posted

Brill Hill, is that really its name?

Yes people always up there in their cars at night, lights off (looking for snow I guess even in summer??).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brill#

After 50 googles gave up re actual height but its over 600ft and for us southern softies it's a mountain

http://www.british-h...px?compid=62523

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

at one point some in the south east were hoping the entire contents of the artic were going to be dumped on there drive ways down there that it was just getting silly and out of hand you could tell it was drifting from model watching to fantasy land and today they are still hopeful but less so today :lol:

Posted

Yes people always up there in their cars at night, lights off (looking for snow I guess even in summer??).

:lol: Possibly not as advatageous on an actual cold and snowy night!

I imagine being roughly 200m will help with snow, even in the south.. unfortunately being by the coast it doesn't work like that even with elevation. Still I can enjoy the challenge of keeping any frost off my really tender plants in the garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

SQ1,

Writing this spell off already just on the basis of one set of runs? The models are so uncertain at the moment (barring the obvious: it's going to get cold) that the progged setup on this evening's runs could well be rather different.

Posted

Is that what Tiger Woods called it? What's wrong with s******g?:lol:

Posted

laugh.gif Possibly not as advatageous on an actual cold and snowy night!

I imagine being roughly 200m will help with snow, even in the south.. unfortunately being by the coast it doesn't work like that even with elevation. Still I can enjoy the challenge of keeping any frost off my really tender plants in the garden.

I have photo graphs of about 8-10 years ago of me starting in Slough cira 8am in rain and going to stokenchurch 600ft heavy snow with 6 inch drifts

will post them one day

Size does matter !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I have photo graphs of about 8-10 years ago of me starting in Slough cira 8am in rain and going to stokenchurch 600ft heavy snow with 6 inch drifts

will post them one day

Size does matter !

Yep manys the time around here I have noticed the snow line to have been around 150m mark - just need to put my house on some very tall stilts :D

Posted

Size does matter !

I bet thats what the people in the cars say too :D:D

Seriously though looks forward to seeing the photos. I often find that in some cases the Welsh hills across the River do well, whereas we tend to miss out. On cold morning residents are often heard asking if there's snow on Wales today - it's almost become a part of a ritual here because it's somewhat novel that Wales gets all the snow!

Posted

TWS - any 1 of those 3 looking likley this time round?? Im still working out what those yellows and blues mean on the models he he he Yeh im a newbie :whistling:

Sorry, I missed that post earlier.

The answer is, it's not inconcievable but it's pretty unlikely. The best bet for that would be an outcome similar to yesterday's GFS and ECMWF 12Z runs, with the shortwave running down the North Sea and introducing an exceptionally cold north-easterly flow with troughs running down both the North Sea and the Irish Sea.

Another possibility is if we manage to pull in some -10C 850hPa air from the continent early next week (unlikely, but possible- it has appeared on a couple of recent runs) and the shortwave moves down the North Sea introducing such a narrow band of warmer air that the precipitation on it stays as snow throughout. In general the model outputs have suggested that if that scenario comes to fruition, temperatures will be too marginal to have snow covering the whole country from it.

Posted

SQ1,

Writing this spell off already just on the basis of one set of runs? The models are so uncertain at the moment (barring the obvious: it's going to get cold) that the progged setup on this evening's runs could well be rather different.

I know and i am not writing them off just expressing my feelings that on yesterday eve runs and todays runs the SW seems to be a dapener for us in the SE and helps the peeps up north it is always the case that the north gets better snow chances than us but i wanted us to be the ones with the better chance this time but it is not to be. I will get cold i said that but i will not get the sort of snow i used to get in my childhood. I was born in 63 so feel cheated when i do not get snow i am a child of the snow age. lol my dream would be to have an 87 senario again here that was a good year.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Next time maybe

Chin up girl!smile.gif

I think we might see snow showers in our neck of the woods by Tuesdaycold.gif