Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

James M

Posted

Why don't the Met get on with it and release their Winter forecast, it'll be over soon! It can'l take that long to compile 2 sentences!least they could do is commit to a date! Perhaps someone needs to define the word 'forecast' to them??

Probably waiting to see everyone else's and will write their's accordingly :unsure:

Edited by KTtom

Posted

The repeated northerly outbreaks of October and November last year (including some very potent ones- most widespread October snowfall since at least the early 1900s, biggest November snowfall in Norwich since at least 1993 and possibly for much longer, lowest November maxima since 1993 in some northern and western regions around the 29th/30th) were a bit much to expect a repeat of this autumn.

But this autumn has been exceptional for its lack of northerly outbreaks- even including the kind of "short fetch" northerlies that we had a lot of during the winter quarter of 2008/09. There have been no scenarios with cold air flowing over the warm North Sea giving vigorous convection over Norfolk except for a half-hearted incursion for a few hours late on the 11th October.

I still think that on balance Norwich has the most interesting climate in the UK, but I must say that these spells where conditions are finely balanced between "westerly" and "anticyclonic" with not much of note going on can get very boring in eastern England- and that goes for Norfolk as much as it goes for Tyne & Wear. Essentially you get the frontal rain, but then in between the rain belts, the shelter stops the showers getting across so convective precipitation ends up close to non-existent.

Indeed, the last few days have been dry and actually quite clear and sunny here. The Pennines do a fine job of killing off any shower activity. Like in the west with cold winter easterlies, showers only make it across when the flow is very strong. This is shown pretty well in the rainfall figure for the month which is rather close to average at 107% of normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Why don't the Met get on with it and release their Winter forecast, it'll be over soon! It can'l take that long to compile 2 sentences!least they could do is commit to a date! Perhaps someone needs to define the word 'forecast' to them??

Probably waiting to see everyone else's and will write their's accordingly :unsure:

Here's mine… wet, mild and cloudy. Bloody awful.

Posted

Here in waterlogged Worthing, we have so far received about one quarter of our annual rainfall for 2009 in November alone, so far, with only a single dry day - the 19th. So, with it chucking down again, and expected to continue for half the night, about 150mm have fallen this month, and now over 600mm for the year to date. Over twice as wet as November last year and wetter than June 2007, and that's saying something. What's the forecast for the rest of the month - cool and wet. Wonder if we will top 180mm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Snow melted, ice gone, now mild and windy. On a personal level, just got my redundancy notice, my 17 year old son is in borstal, my daughter's on the game, my wife is having an affair with my best friend. Still, just before the bailiffs arrive to take away my laptop, I'll cheer myself up with a quick look at the GFS 12z. I'm sure it will only reinforce the beast from the east shown on the last 3 runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Moan, whinge, moan......when will it get cold? When will we see some snow? Will we ever see snow again..sob...sob

I was born in 1962, from my mothers diary there was lots of snow, deep and crisp and very uneven, it lasted for ages on the ground. I was born to a winter of snow and that's what I want now!!!

Please Santa if I'm good can I have some snow please, about 1ft would be fine, 6ft drifts would be excellent.:unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

May I have a whinge please....

Whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge, bloody whinge.

Ah, that's better.

Thank you.

Posted

Moan, whinge, moan......when will it get cold? When will we see some snow? Will we ever see snow again..sob...sob

I was born in 1962, from my mothers diary there was lots of snow, deep and crisp and very uneven, it lasted for ages on the ground. I was born to a winter of snow and that's what I want now!!!

Please Santa if I'm good can I have some snow please, about 1ft would be fine, 6ft drifts would be excellent.:(

I will never happen again, we are all just gonna have to be content with pretending it's 1962/3 whilst defrosting the freezer in our underwear with all the doors and windows open. (or is that just me? :( )

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Some things are best not shared...... :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I prefer chardonnay, and a nice claret....oops thought it was the 'wine' thread.... :D ...lol

Just bringing this back to top so the moaners have somewhere to hang out :)

Is it just me but is the phrase shortwave overused, i read it all the time, shortwave has ruined this, our old friend the shortwave comes back to haunt us blah blah blah

Another thing why do people take one less good ECM run as gospel before waiting for another ECM run and then another to moan, you would think they have never model watched before the models change details all the time as i said earlier this month there wasnt any HP on the cards at all then and now all models even ECM are going for a nice settled spell, surely that is something to shout over after all the strong winds and heavy rain, it will be great to have calm winds for once and not howling gales.

Posted

Having just read the model thread from the main posters,this shortwave is causing a headache.

Crunch time to watch,ECM is poor with no easterly and just HP which even gives a SW-ly flow,mild.

Not on T120 tho.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Recm1201.gif

GFS 6z is excellent.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn1201.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I still have a bad feeling that this aproaching "cold" spell is going to be one big down grade after another as the reliable time frame comes into view with nothing but frost and fog unless you live on east coast. wallbash.gif I can't remember last time we actually got real snow before xmas?cc_confused.gifcray.gif Moan over.

Posted

I still have a bad feeling that this aproaching "cold" spell is going to be one big down grade after another as the reliable time frame comes into view with nothing but frost and fog unless you live on east coast. wallbash.gif I can't remember last time we actually got real snow before xmas?cc_confused.gifcray.gif Moan over.

Depends on how accurate the Paralell run is. You could be whining for a different reason if this

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2937/gfs-0-384_kkm7.png

comes off :drinks:

Posted

hi ive just been on the model site looking and i must admit thay look good but people seam to be geting rather excited.hope im wrong but this certantly looks to be a big down grade within the next 3days or so .my sum up of this will be 3days of temps +4 here in south and dry/frost at night geting as low as -4 it a bee like this for three days then return to mild southwest wet and windy as the high gets pushed back east .

I still have a bad feeling that this aproaching "cold" spell is going to be one big down grade after another as the reliable time frame comes into view with nothing but frost and fog unless you live on east coast. wallbash.gif I can't remember last time we actually got real snow before xmas?:drinks:cray.gif Moan over.

verry true and i dont think there be any this year at all in my part of the world:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

hi ive just been on the model site looking and i must admit thay look good but people seam to be geting rather excited.hope im wrong but this certantly looks to be a big down grade within the next 3days or so .my sum up of this will be 3days of temps +4 here in south and dry/frost at night geting as low as -4 it a bee like this for three days then return to mild southwest wet and windy as the high gets pushed back east .

verry true and i dont think there be any this year at all in my part of the world:cc_confused:

True yesterdays charts were amazing but it was only over a couple of runs and the real cold

Was in FI

It seems everytime we see good charts people get excited human nature i suppose

All is not lost if the runs this evening produce anything near as good as yesterday this

Place will go into melt down again.Guess what i am trying to say is dont take a couple of

Runs as granted believe me it will put you in a early grave

C.S

Posted

So basically if you live on the western side of the uk your not gonna get anything?? All this talk of easterlies being the best yadda yadda is mainly for the peeps who live on the east side of the uk and for us up in the north west are going to get pretty much zilch. :yahoo:

I think all this hype is a bit biased to the people who live in the east....i mean theres other parts of this country apart from london east anglia etc and when people say this is goingot deliver what is really mean its going to deliver for the east. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's a bit early to be ramping in any case. Shortwave activity could mean that nobody gets anything but the odd bit of frost!

Easterly setups do favour the east but not always exclusively so. Although some western areas missed out during the blasts of 11-14 January 1987 and 7-14 February 1991, they were very much in the minority. Winter 1995/96 had a few easterly and north-easterly outbreaks which saw snow showers penetrate to most western areas, with one instance (27 January 1996) of more prolonged snowfalls over some western areas.

Posted

It's a bit early to be ramping in any case. Shortwave activity could mean that nobody gets anything but the odd bit of frost!

Easterly setups do favour the east but not always exclusively so. Although some western areas missed out during the blasts of 11-14 January 1987 and 7-14 February 1991, they were very much in the minority. Winter 1995/96 had a few easterly and north-easterly outbreaks which saw snow showers penetrate to most western areas, with one instance (27 January 1996) of more prolonged snowfalls over some western areas.

I like a bit of frost every now and again, something that has been sadly lacking this month and last so far!!

Why can't we just get a bit of blummin' cold every now and again?

What have we done to deserve such horrible winters over the past few years?

Where can we get big enough paddles to row this country north a little?

Who am I?

What is that big stick thing you are beating me with?

????????????????

Oh!!.....it was all a dream :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If this pattern comes up especially with a northeasterly or easterly, Wirral rarely get anything out of it. Out of the setup thats being shown now a typical day at the height of the easterly would probably be about +2C in the day and 0C at night with fog.

Very little snow gets this far west, but we do get sunshine in bucket loads usually.

I hope there's not much frost because I need my garden to stay as frost-free as possible, snow I dont mind as it acts as a thermal blanket on plants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Oh boy. A drizzly easterly picking up at T150. Not quite the snowfest we saw on the 06z. :)

joe b better take his video down me thinks just shows how unpredictable the models are never mind it is still only december.

as long as europe cools of maybe where have a shot in january or feb it was fun whilst it lasted but i think lots of people on here knew a downgrade was lurking.

still we will get some settled weather before the alantic rolls back in.

and we still have the other models yet not that i hold much hope for them either.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

joe b better take his video down me thinks just shows how unpredictable the models are never mind it is still only december.

as long as europe cools of maybe where have a shot in january or feb it was fun whilst it lasted but i think lots of people on here knew a downgrade was lurking.

still we will get some settled weather before the alantic rolls back in.

and we still have the other models yet not that i hold much hope for them either.<_<

?????????? wouldnt say downgrade, still shows very cold air, 12Z bit of a warm outlier around 15th-16th, every model run that shows cold is slowly creeping out of FI, FI id say is better on 12Z than 06Z

Posted

Oh dear what an awfull run :) The final kick in the goolies is +14c for Christmas eve with the anticyclonic gloom just a bad memory! Lets hope to wake up to better charts or the 1st dissapointment of the winter may have just happened :)