Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Ah yes, there it is. Thanks very much (and sorry Chris). It's weird, I looked at the 6-15 day before I spoke, but must have got an older version still in my cache.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

See days 6-15 here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

"Through the weekend and following week there is an increasing possibility of drier more settled weather developing across the UK with cold easterly flow."

To me, that implies high pressure and a sluggish import of cold continental air from the east rather than a full-blown east-north-easterly from Siberia/Russia bringing sunshine and snow showers, and I think it probably represents the most likely scenario given the upcoming synoptic evolution. However, it will only take fractions either way to leave us in a mild cloudy (albeit probably much drier than recently) south-westerly regime with HP stuck to the E or SE, or alternatively a full-blown snowy easterly resulting.

I am pleased to see the Met Office coming on board with the upcoming trends and hopefully helping to dispel allegations of "warm bias" in their forecasts, but at the same time being realistic about it (i.e. not sensationalising with the coldest-case scenario).

Posted

I'm inclined to agree that something is brewing from mid month onwards but it could just be a near miss for the uk although mainland europe looks set for a freeze up. I still think we will get a settled spell from next weekend onwards with frosty nights and some freezing fog, anything more than that will be a nice bonus.

tend to agree. central europe looks like getting a dose of very cold mid month. odds are very long anything bitter hitting the uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

6-15 day forecasts are always prone to considerable error because of the fact that one slight inaccuracy at day 4 can throw the rest of the forecast out of kilter- which is partly why I say the margins between a mild SW'ly, a cold snowy easterly, or the Met Office's in-between scenario, are very small.

Posted

Alots been made of the ukmo further outlook, that can change as quickly as the models but at least they go with at least the initial euro high extending north and some easterly feed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Im not settling for that full blown cold snow or nothing, we have settled for near misses for years time to deliver!!!

If only the weather would listen to what we want but we might have to settle for the scraps from the table while central & eastern europe have a major freeze up. At least we should get something colder and more seasonal feeling and there is an outside chance of something more potent.

Posted

If only the weather would listen to what we want but we might have to settle for the scraps from the table while central & eastern europe have a major freeze up. At least we should get something colder and more seasonal feeling and there is an outside chance of something more potent.

What is worth saying as well is how quick the cold to our east builds. We often say there is no cold to tap into , but in the right conditions cold can build very very quickly , within 48 hours in some cases .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

tend to agree. central europe looks like getting a dose of very cold mid month. odds are very long anything bitter hitting the uk

I don't think the uk could cope with what central europe is going to get, the models seem to be losing ensemble support for a bitter blast reaching the uk, at least it will save our lousy government some money.

Posted

See days 6-15 here:

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

"Through the weekend and following week there is an increasing possibility of drier more settled weather developing across the UK with cold easterly flow."

To me, that implies high pressure and a sluggish import of cold continental air from the east rather than a full-blown east-north-easterly from Siberia/Russia bringing sunshine and snow showers, and I think it probably represents the most likely scenario given the upcoming synoptic evolution. However, it will only take fractions either way to leave us in a mild cloudy (albeit probably much drier than recently) south-westerly regime with HP stuck to the E or SE, or alternatively a full-blown snowy easterly resulting.

I am pleased to see the Met Office coming on board with the upcoming trends and hopefully helping to dispel allegations of "warm bias" in their forecasts, but at the same time being realistic about it (i.e. not sensationalising with the coldest-case scenario).

Aye, but it does mention the possibility of MILDER weather returning towards the end! I'll get my coat!! whistling.gif

I don't think the uk could cope with what central europe is going to get, the models seem to be losing ensemble support for a bitter blast reaching the uk, at least it will save our lousy government some money.

For the time being Frosty. I wouldn't be suprised to see us being under it's influence, by the third week of this month!

Posted

Convection still looks strong and progressing across the date line going by the OLR anomalies.

map.last3days.gif

Yes looking good , all the background signals are good , Just need to convert this into something cold for the UK

Posted

HI THERE SORRY TO BUT IN ON HERE BUT IF ANYONE COULD SOME UP WHATS GOING ON IN ENGLISH PLEASE FOR THIS NEWBIE. HAVE NOT GOT USED TO ALL THE WEATHER JARGON YETcc_confused.gif

The short term - Unsettled

Medium Term - Settled with a cold inversion high perhaps slight easterly

Long Term ala FI - Potentially cold with an easterly wind

Posted

That shortwave running off the main trough is very troublesome here, it just makes things more complicated. Get rid of this shortwave and the euro high ridges further north subsequently less can go wrong after this.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

That shortwave running off the main trough is very troublesome here, it just makes things more complicated. Get rid of this shortwave and the euro high ridges further north subsequently less can go wrong after this.

There's always something though Nick.

Every year we have some reason why we dont get cold.

Posted

There's always something though Nick.

Every year we have some reason why we dont get cold.

The problem here is even if the FI looks good the shortwave earlier means more can go wrong and hence you're relying on more factors to go right afterwards. Notice here the delay in the cold arriving and this begins to resemble chasing the pot of gold at the end of rainbow, this is all to do with the earlier shortwave, i suspect the ensembles will show a clear separation between the cold arriving much earlier without the shortwave and those with the shortwave showing a delay or the jet spilling east off the main trough and scuppering the easterly.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

The problem here is even if the FI looks good the shortwave earlier means more can go wrong and hence you're relying on more factors to go right afterwards.

Don't you find though Nick that at times the GFS over cooks these shortwaves at this timeframe? Or am I suffering from selective memory. :yahoo:

Posted

Don't you find though Nick that at times the GFS over cooks these shortwaves at this timeframe? Or am I suffering from selective memory. :lol:

It can do but also this is a possibility and it wouldn't be the biggest surprise given recent history, we'll have to see what the euros do but if the shortwave appears and verifies i'm going to put away my ear muffs and bobble hat! :yahoo:

Posted

Not liking the 12z 1 bit ... when you think what it produced 24 hours ago. Along way to go still but I think the chances are reducing of a quick start to a cold spell . I.e next weekend.

Posted

The situation remains the same after this run; unless a trigger low runs under the High to back the cold West, then we will be under a mid-latitude High which will probably take a fair bit of shifting.

Yes if that high does take residence over the UK we can wipe out the whole of December inc Christmas.

All or nothing here and the form horse looks like 'nothing'.

If we can't have cold give me a storm. Our interest in weather wasn't founded over high cells sitting over us for weeks