Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia And South East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I think that colder air maybe skirting with e Kent already

I'm on the N Kent coast and Dew points are just below freezing here, 1c air temperature and dropping fairly fast.

Posted

BBC Look East verdict: "Basically, always a lot of cloud around, some days seeing more sunshine than others and if the cloud is thick enough we could see some light and patchy rain and because it's so cold we could see that turning to sleet or perhaps snow at times, but we are not expecting any large accumulations."

Probably a fair assumption that last bit-- until the northerly arrives at least which introduces the threat of heavy frontal snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

Going to snow in Luton tomorrow, its going to start of with sleet at 9am, then it will start to snow at approx 12 in the afternoon straight into the evening. Metoffice are predicting more snow for Luton.

1) http://metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/luton_forecast_weather.html

2) http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wisi

Edited by Luton-Weather

Posted

Going to snow in Luton tomorrow, its going to start of with sleet at 9am, then it will start to snow at approx 12 in the afternoon straight into the evening. Metoffice are predicting snow on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Very precise there, bit hopefull?:whistling:

Posted

look east forecast not to good wallbash.gif says no large amounts of snow!!!

I don't mean any disrespect to Look East but I do not rate their forecasts very highly. I still have a video tape of a forecast from Dec 05. The forecast said wintry showers, max temps of 5C. The reality was 5 inches of snow and max temps of -3C!!

Posted

Going to snow in Luton tomorrow, its going to start of with sleet at 9am, then it will start to snow at approx 12 in the afternoon straight into the evening. Metoffice are predicting more snow for Luton.

1) http://metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/luton_forecast_weather.html

2) http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wisi

Hi LW,

It looks like sleet/snow is a possibility for Luton, keep an eye on the rainfall radar tomorrow and you will see what is coming your way in terms of precipitation.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

Good luck

I don't mean any disrespect to Look East but I do not rate their forecasts very highly. I still have a video tape of a forecast from Dec 05. The forecast said wintry showers, max temps of 5C. The reality was 5 inches of snow and max temps of -3C!!

lol, I wonder if they make a decision whether to overplay or underplay the charts?

I suppose they have opportunities to get it right throughout the day, maybe by opening a window!

Doozer

Posted

Yep, I like Julie but I find their forecasts a bit 'dodgy':whistling:

BBC London which we get here (Even though we are the East) Gave a few more prostpects but not much snow apart from her saying "Turning very seasony towards the end of the week and weekend"

I would like to see some of the more experienced members posting up some of those maps that show the area with the possible most snow, they sometimes do! I really find them intersting and good to see where people think will be most affected.

Posted

Im wondering for netweather forecast it says snow tomrrow and wed and thurs. Is Their Forecasts acurate? Also it says that on the windows weather widget.

Thanks Rajeev

It depends on a few things, where are you located?

All forecasts are only as accuarate as the model outputs and snow is hard to predict even at short notice!

Posted

look east forecast not to good wallbash.gif says no large amounts of snow!!!

anglia tv weather was bit better risk of heavy snow end of week, and there forecasts come from met office.

Posted

Saw the look East forecast out to Saturday at lunchtime and that was just as dire, they basically said it was going to get colder as the week progressed with maybe some showers turning wintry and maybe some flurries come Friday with temps down to 3c and the strangely on Saturday temps recovering to 5c and the wind in the SE, mentioned nothing about any sort of accumulations, infact she didn't seem to be to bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Yep, I like Julie but I find their forecasts a bit 'dodgy':whistling:

BBC London which we get here (Even though we are the East) Gave a few more prostpects but not much snow apart from her saying "Turning very seasony towards the end of the week and weekend"

I would like to see some of the more experienced members posting up some of those maps that show the area with the possible most snow, they sometimes do! I really find them intersting and good to see where people think will be most affected.

Around the 2005 period, Look East forecasts were being quoted verbatim from MetO using data from Birmingham as I understand it (Norwich Weather Centre having closed). According to Paul B who spoke with WeatherQuest's Jim Bacon on my behalf during the summer, if he or Phil Garner are due to present the forecast, they will as they see fit tweak the MetO data with their own (WeatherQuest) interpretation. Whether this is also the case when Julie presents the forecast I don't know, but given that I think that she receives the forecast info. from WeatherQuest it would seem odd not to. I do think they often give a more accurate forecast in terms of variation within the region than the national forecast can provide, but that they do sometimes tend to underplay more "extreme" weather, such as snow or summer electrical storms.

y initial reaction to my family on seeing the forecast was that they are sticking their necks out by downplaying the interpretation. From looking at their wind symbols it appears to me that they unconvinced by the strength and direction of wind even into the start of the weekend - barely any sign of a strong northerly in their projection.

Posted

ITV forecast looks good, mentioned Heavy snow showers this weekend, seems a lot better than the Look East forecast. Look at this GFS snow risk chart for Friday

post-10203-12608198529046_thumb.png

ECM chart looks good: (T+120)

post-10203-12608199245663_thumb.png

Good chance of white christmas?

post-10203-12608199892779_thumb.png

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

What we want is snow to come in hard over night NOT during the day , much better chance of settling!. If it only snows during the day and one day at that , good luck at getting that 10cm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

ITV forecast looks good, mentioned Heavy snow showers this weekend, seems a lot better than the Look East forecast. Look at this GFS snow risk chart for Friday

My objection to both the ITV and Anglia forecasts are the dollybirds that often read it. They often contradict their own charts and wave their hands airily whilst making very vague warblings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

p.s Anyone see the South East Today forecast?

Posted

Look how far South the Jet Stream is! Almost in North Africa!, Defiently leaving us in polar air, the next few days will be very interesting

post-10203-12608203609702_thumb.png

Posted

That chart is deceptive. It shows the risk % of snow over the UK but only applies IF there is sufficient precipitation. In other words, just because it says 100% chance of snow on that chart, does not necessarily mean it will snow. It will only snow if there's precipitation forecast to move into your area.

However, luckily for you, there is! There could be quite a covering in Cambridge by Friday evening if the GFS is correct.