Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia And South East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

ITV forecast looks good, mentioned Heavy snow showers this weekend, seems a lot better than the Look East forecast.

The ITV forecast is just like reading The Sun :good:

Posted

That chart is deceptive. It shows the risk % of snow over the UK but only applies IF there is sufficient precipitation. In other words, just because it says 100% chance of snow on that chart, does not necessarily mean it will snow. It will only snow if there's precipitation forecast to move into your area.

However, luckily for you, there is! There could be quite a covering in Cambridge by Friday evening if the GFS is correct.

I'm getting starved of not seeing snow so I really do hope it will snow soon enough, Great ECM charts tonight aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Look how far South the Jet Stream is! Almost in North Africa!, Defiently leaving us in polar air, the next few days will be very interesting

post-10203-12608203609702_thumb.png

Haha - according to Eugene over on Model general discussion, some expert on TWO called "retron" has stated that nothing much will happen south of the Midlands due to being "on the wrong side of the jet".

What jet might that be, I wonder? :good::good:

Posted

My objection to both the ITV and Anglia forecasts are the dollybirds that often read it. They often contradict their own charts and wave their hands airily whilst making very vague warblings.

to be honest i dont think anyone can forecast what weather we get right in the east lol its never right whistling.gif

Posted

'Dollybirds' lol! - haven't heard that phrase used in ages! the one on Look East is a nightmare, you can tell she hasn't got a degree in Meteorology! :good:

Nah, Jools ain't a dollybird.

Posted
the one on Look East is a nightmare, you can tell she hasn't got a degree in Meteorology! whistling.gif

But Julie is a very nice lady and pleasing on the eye too

Could be a lot worse and have that annoying Scottish woman from the breakfast news show

Posted

10th page already, the next most postful thread is on its 4th page, we do love our snow in EA and the SE!!

Posted

I'm getting starved of not seeing snow so I really do hope it will snow soon enough, Great ECM charts tonight aswell

Haha, I know the feeling. I'm less optimistic for here but you never know, there are a few opportunities over the coming days.

Posted

BBC forecast now showing snow comming down from the north Weds evening "giving a covering in place" He also said possibility of disruption to end the week. I can't keep up!!

Posted

Haha, I know the feeling. I'm less optimistic for here but you never know, there are a few opportunities over the coming days.

I think your chances are as good as mine, although you are slighty further inland, I think if I did get 5cm (Hoping!) then you could too

BBC forecast now showing snow comming down from the north Weds evening "giving a covering in place" He also said possibility of disruption to end the week. I can't keep up!!

When was that and who? The BBC seem allover the place at the moment!

Posted

Perhaps they think the UKMO model was a bit progressive?

Posted

I think your chances are as good as mine, although you are slighty further inland, I think if I did get 5cm (Hoping!) then you could too

When was that and who? The BBC seem allover the place at the moment!

Alex Deacon BBC N24 @ 1927

Posted

Perhaps they think the UKMO model was a bit progressive?

I think that perhaps this should just highlight to people the great uncertainty in all forecasts at present - hence why BBC national say one thing whilst bbc regional say another...

For anyone who has only joined us this winter, welcome to the rollercoaster. We are entering a period where the only way to find out if its going to snow is to do radar watch

If you need to brush up on how to forecast snow, take a look at John Holmes's guide

Obviously i'll try and input where I can over the next few days, along with, im sure, the more expert among us. We have the good fortune of having some of the best and most experienced forecasters on the forum in EA and SE!

Its going to be a good week

Kind Regards

SK

Posted

I live in west london Harrow. And ive got 100% for friday wen bbc or met office dont show anything

Hi RS,

The forecasts you see on netweather, as with on metcheck and a number of other independent forecast websites, are automatically generated with each GFS run. They take the raw data and, using pre-determined parameters, predict precipitation, wind speed, temperature etc.

This means that the forecasts will change with each run, especially at that sort of range. Generally specific details wont be clear until within 24 hours of the timeframe, and even then in a setup such as this details will be emerging all the time!

Your right to stick with the netweather forecasts though above the others, they have the highest resolution output in comparison to the others

Hope This Helps

Kind Regards,

SK

Posted

I live in west london Harrow. And ive got 100% for friday wen bbc or met office dont show anything

Hi Rajeev,

Forgot to say welcome before!

As in Snowkings post above, whilst conditions are looking to be right for snow on Friday, it all depends on precipitation, even if conditions are right i.e dew point below zero, temps around 2 degrees, if there is no precipitation then there is no snow.

Keep an eye on the rainfall radar http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html to see what is coming your way.

Good Luck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

this is my first post!!! been reading threads for ages now!! superb site!! really looking forward to the next few days!! all the local weather forecasts give the iow and the south snow on thurs and fri!! im happy with anything!!but if the models are as good as people are saying the im sure the met office would put an advisory weather warning out?????it has happened before!! but they just have wintry showers for the south????? just hoping we all get a good covering!! but until the weather sites start issuing the warnings then im staying on my guard!!!!drunk.gif lee iow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I'm really excited, just a shame that i'm at home now..

I live fairly near to Heathrow in north west Surrey, I was just wondering what the chances of snow around here are, and how much in comparison to February earlier this year? I normally stay on this forum during summer, but I tend to hang around when there is a possibility of snow, and have not had a chance to look at the charts in detail yet, thanks!

Posted

For the record, I was wrong in my critisism of the "jet" post from TWO, the GFS for 20th is showing a secondary jet crossing the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

So is there actually any snow falling anywhere at the moment? Nothing going on for us Midlanders.

For the record, I was wrong in my critisism of the "jet" post from TWO, the GFS for 20th is showing a secondary jet crossing the UK.

Too right you were, Jet aren't a bad band at all.

:(