Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Are You A Secret Lamp Post Watcher ? (Snow)

stewfox

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Who needs lamp posts when you got a pair of these right outside your back door :drinks:

160948_lg.jpg

The point of the matter is though, have you got them just for snow if you have then that is just pure Classic :drinks:

3 from my bedroom window. There is one just across the road and it's served me well over the years (That sounds so sad lmao) But it's not the best possible light, it's one of those old orange glow ones, there is street lights on the road at the bottom of mine that has those new big bright white ones and when it snows it really shows up up under them and looks amazing.

:drinks:

Best to have a combination of old style orange lights and new style 50ft main road light :drinks::) :) :)

Posted

So who's been twitching the curtains so far today?

My office has no windows just CCTV feeds from outside which my colleagues have now dubbed the snowcam!

At least 5-6 times over 2 hours earlier lol.

I suppose the obvious extension of this is how many lamp-posts can you watch from your house?? I have at least 5 different options, some close by, some almost half a mile away.

If you can see the lamp post a half mile away it isn't snowing hard enough! Ideally in a good snow storm visibility should be reduced to 100 metres or less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Who needs lamp posts when you got a pair of these right outside your back door :rolleyes:

160948_lg.jpg

Maybe it's just how my mind works but can anyone else make a face out of that picture? :whistling:

Posted

Maybe it's just how my mind works but can anyone else make a face out of that picture? :drinks:

snigger! and yes I can. A smiley one.

Need smiles, no snow under my lampost.:yahoo:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

Maybe it's just how my mind works but can anyone else make a face out of that picture? :lol:

There's definitely a robot in some film or tv series looks like that - Probably Star Wars?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Who needs lamp posts when you got a pair of these right outside your back door smile.gif

160948_lg.jpg

I'm a traditionalist lamper: I can only 'lamp' using the light provided by the councils, anything else seems to go against the 'lamping' tradition!

Posted

Lampost Watcher here LOL,

Have 5 lamp posts on the street but lucky the M1 is next to the house as there is plenty of lamp posts to watch LOLOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I've got a room full of old streetlamps.......shame it doesn't snow indoors.:lol:

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

Well I've been a secret Lamper for some time now, but I've kept it bottled up inside

I've always felt that should my secret get out, it might bring great shame to my family. But when I read this thread, I realised that I'm not alone, and I should confess to being a serial Lamper.

Because there are no street lamps where I live, I erected two 500watt Halogen lamps, which are on a pole fastened to the wall, in preperation for the winter.

I have positioned the lamps in such a way that every inch of my garden is covered.

I've tried to make sure that not a single flake will go undetected.

There's also a security camera, so if my windows happen to steam up,I can watch the flakes on TV. This setup means I can record any snow activity and watch the video during any snowless periods :cc_confused:

Let's all come out of the closet - it is plain that we have this fetish for snow - as for me I love scenes that I have witnessed though rarely in this country and that is of a true blizzard with heavy powdery snow - I love seeing the drifts take shape and could watch these for hours. Funnily enough when I really get engrossed I don't feel cold, otherwise I am a 25C person.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

When I was younger I thought I had invented lampost watching, I was always sitting at the window watching for snowflakes falling in the street lights, and everytime I'd see one I'd run downstairs, out the front door and go and stand under the lampost :cc_confused:

I'm not a secret lampost watcher, I often drive my family mad getting up every 5 minutes to look out the window haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Hello, my name is Polar Gael and I too am a Lamper (and have been since the age of 7).

I used to think I could control it, but the slightest hint of a ramp and I'm twitching at the curtains, watching the orange glow for the merest hint of the white stuff, whilst waxing my sledge and daydreaming of snowdrifts and the 528 DAM line.

Up until last winter, all this mild stuff of the M**ern W**ter nearly had me going cold turkey, reduced to searching internet traffic cams for the odd snow grain here and there, but now it looks as though my regular fix has returned.

I've tried to stop, but realise it's futile. I love snow.

I think I may need to join Lampers Anonymous. :cc_confused::whistling:

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

OMG this is nuts,as a child i used to spend hours wathing the lampost outside our house,then when i had to go to bed i used to sneak a torch upstairs and hold it against the window to see sleet or snow, it used to drive mum nuts. And yes now i also get in the car to see if any rain is turning to snow, its just now the missus thinks im nuts.

Me too. I used to sit on the window-cill behind the curtains, watching the Lamppost...When my mother crept in to check on me she'd say: "You stupid boy"! :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Has anyone else done this then:

On those times where to keep peace and because I HAVE to go to bed, to make sure I don't miss anything - I sit a video camera in the window pointing at the nearest street lamp so I don't miss any of the action??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Has anyone else done this then:

On those times where to keep peace and because I HAVE to go to bed, to make sure I don't miss anything - I sit a video camera in the window pointing at the nearest street lamp so I don't miss any of the action??

I think you might be crowned king of the lamp post watching drinks.gif

I use to get my 90yr old gran to stand outside and told her to wake me from my warm cosy slumber if she saw any flakes but I think you win

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

oops.gif guilty as charged - I am a not so secret lamppost watcher - as you may have guessed from my handle. The only met events that ever really spark my interest are cold related and have been since I was a small child. Maybe it's the uncertainty, the infrequency and the effect - but even now, when I live in the shadow of the Pennines - I have to admit I still get a smile at every frost and a real thrill when the possibility of the white stuff is mentioned. Like many - I've sat up the last few years when significant snow effects occur, either watching the lamppost if it is near, of reading the posts as then come in through NW

gosh! I sound all soppy there - quick - bah humbug! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I must admit, I was walking around the UEA campus in rain this evening, and the first thing I did... check a nearby lamp post to make absolutely sure that it was rain and not sleet or snow. :wallbash:

I remember that on a few occasions last winter I even took videos of falling snow illuminated by lamp posts using my digital camera.