Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 2

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That's good News, S...I've no doubt at all, that the 'good stuff' is on its way! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Still snowing, though the flakes are very light. It reminds me a lot of the Wednesday 4th February event this year, when we got about an inch from a northerly from the same tiny flakes. Doubt this'll add that much though, the radar shows it's beginning to die away in Perthshire.

Keep watching for heavier showers to the north-northwest of your location, as this will be the source of the showers hitting central areas. For example, I'm encouraged by the heavy showers forming just east of Inverness.

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Sleety stuff up here, at the mo...Maybe you should expect a 'warm' sector sometime this evo??? :):D

Posted

Still snowing, though the flakes are very light. It reminds me a lot of the Wednesday 4th February event this year, when we got about an inch from a northerly from the same tiny flakes. Doubt this'll add that much though, the radar shows it's beginning to die away in Perthshire.

Keep watching for heavier showers to the north-northwest of your location, as this will be the source of the showers hitting central areas. For example, I'm encouraged by the heavy showers forming just east of Inverness.

LS

Got little flakes here and its very dull.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

beefy showers highlighted should be just the beginning of what's to come over the weekend for most of Scotland

capturerc.png

Posted

beefy showers highlighted should be just the beginning of what's to come over the weekend for most of Scotland

capturerc.png

METO have ZERO weather warnings out for saturday, yet 5 and gmtv reckon scotland are going to have heavy snowfall. What does METO say about your area G-G?

Posted

METO have ZERO weather warnings out for saturday, yet 5 and gmtv reckon scotland are going to have heavy snowfall. What does METO say about your area G-G?

met office currently have no warnings issued for sat at all but i expect they will update after 6pm tonight also we should no more ourselfs on netweather.tv when the GFS 12z come out

Posted

met office currently have no warnings issued for sat at all but i expect they will update after 6pm tonight also we should no more ourselfs on netweather.tv when the GFS 12z come out

I'll check back when i finish work tonight. I am hoping to come home and see a red take action warning..........................whistling.gif

Posted

The METO are going for sleet tomorrow for Scotland.

Who am I to argue with weather professionals but I think tomorrow has snow written all over it and has done for about 6 days.

Posted

I'll check back when i finish work tonight. I am hoping to come home and see a red take action warning..........................whistling.gif

i am expecting heavy snow fall for most of sat morning then clearing in the afternoon just caught sky weather forecast it looks pretty bad to be honest I think the met-office will issue a red alert tonight its our turn this weekend when the northerly fully kicks in

The METO are going for sleet tomorrow for Scotland.

Who am I to argue with weather professionals but I think tomorrow has snow written all over it and has done for about 6 days.

the met-office currently have no warnings in place for Scotland on sat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of warnings for tomorrow, considering the charts show this:

prectypeuktopo.png

And this:

prectypeuktopo.png

The charts have shown this consistently, so I'm confused as to why most of Scotland has not had a warning issued for heavy snow, as I reckon this snowfall could produce 5-10cm across much of the central belt, not to mention places further north and west, who will see even more. Anyway, snowfall stopped here now, just waiting for a few more showers in the next few hours before the first front passes through. Given that we've seen some fairly unexpected precipitation already today, I expect many central and eastern parts will see something from this front tonight.

Intriguing radar watching ahead

LS

Posted

i am expecting heavy snow fall for most of sat morning then clearing in the afternoon just caught sky weather forecast it looks pretty bad to be honest I think the met-office will issue a red alert tonight its our turn this weekend when the northerly fully kicks in

the met-office currently have no warnings in place for Scotland on sat

yahoo.gifclap.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Phew! finally got my head out of the oven, have been baking all day. Flurrying appears to have given up here for the moment. Nervously await tomorrows rollercoaster! The west certainly looks good for Sunday. I wonder if the wind will be strong enough to blow some this way?

Posted

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of warnings for tomorrow, considering the charts show this:

prectypeuktopo.png

And this:

prectypeuktopo.png

The charts have shown this consistently, so I'm confused as to why most of Scotland has not had a warning issued for heavy snow, as I reckon this snowfall could produce 5-10cm across much of the central belt, not to mention places further north and west, who will see even more. Anyway, snowfall stopped here now, just waiting for a few more showers in the next few hours before the first front passes through. Given that we've seen some fairly unexpected precipitation already today, I expect many central and eastern parts will see something from this front tonight.

LS

i dunno what's going on with the met-office but to be fare it pretty unusual weather for late dec i think they are still trying to figure this weather pattern out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

prectypeuktopo.png

And this:

prectypeuktopo.png

LS

Can you trust those precipitation charts though LS?

Posted

future met-office data for Saturday i expect warnings

capturefs.png

Posted

We in the north tend get ignored by the national forecasts on tv. A quick brush over us and cover the more built up areas of Scotland and southwards, assuming that there are very few people north of Glasgow who would be affected. Many also think we are used to heavy snow - not the case these days sadly. Haven't times moved on and the term "even larger teapot" comes to mind?

But, this year could be different! Here is hoping.:drinks:

Posted

I don't think the met-office will take any chance of not issuing a warning but i expect red alert for some areas of Scotland issued after 6pm tonight

Posted

future met-office data for Saturday i expect warnings

capturefs.png

Thats a heavy band that will sweep across the country and the showers behind, depending how fast they come in could mean lots of snow...an advisory at least is a must i would say. The Met-o are to focused on SE England where the capital is, why would they bother about the 75 people per square km in scotland?

Posted

If any of you were listening to Five Live, ya'll know full-well that Scottty is under threat this weekend...And, that comes via the MetO! :):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Saw BBC Forecast on News24 about 30mins ago - it basically showed the same as the charts already posted - Scottish Borders even got a mention!!!

Looked very very heavy and more organised than what the SE have been having :)

Still..... no warnings yet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Thats the thing Blitzen, I don' t trust this general snowfall picture.

Not expecting this to pan out this way at all. Certain that some of us will catch it, and the higher and more northerly exposed the better. I expect the snow shadow to kick in for a lot of us in the central/southern areas. It usually does and I'm not sure why it wouldn't this time, even if the activity is frontal rather than convective.

Gut feeling from similar-ish experiences. Happy to eat my hat if not though, deep fried if need be :whistling:

prectypeuktopo.png

And this:

prectypeuktopo.png

LS

Can you trust those precipitation charts though LS?