Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The latest one seems to have picked up strengh around the bristol channel....

Comon it might just make it. clap.gif

I know it is early but how far north do the charts think that low will track on monday/monday night?

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

You really need to read your posts before you send them - it's jiberish mate ! Try some punctuation !

Tonight is a really difficult call - it will be cold enough aloft and also at ground level for snow but there is a shallow warm layer of air that is the problem being dragged in ahead of the front. This is around +4C so may result in sub zero rainfall at ground level. As the cold air behind the front digs in it will turn to snow, but when and how much will be down to nowcasting. The further east you are the better, altitude may not help that much as the warmer layer is elevated.

I just hope it isn't freezing rain as that is incredibly dangerous for anybody out and about.

i agree with this it will come down to location location location and now casting, i hope its not freezing rain, im on nights tonight( i work for the ambulance service) so im hoping for a quite nightdry.gif

Posted

Just started to snow here in Nth BTL. V.light stuff though.

Only flurries, but didn't expect anything this afternoon to be honest.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

falling as sleet/rain here washed away all the earlier snow temps have gone up from -1 to +2 .. Mind you going to be fun (not) when this all freezes tonight. The showers are pepping up so hopping temps will drop enough for it all to turn back to snow later.

kaz

Posted

Stopped now, but it's very cloudy and dark. Wouldn't be surprised to see some more flurries this afternoon, before tonight's precipitation. Snow or rain tonite? I know i do not want freezing rain - that is highly dangerous!

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

Must be something happening as BBC west have us down for heavy snow on Monday!!! BBC never say it will snow!! :)

YES..there is alot happening next week....and beyond....

Posted

YES..there is alot happening next week....and beyond....

Agreed Dogs. The trends seem to indicate a less cold spell coming to us just around Xmas, but you never know with this weather. The 'atlantic' doesn't seem that active at the mo. I feel there could be subtle changes in the model output over the next couple of days that could result in an extension of the cold for the West and maybe snow.

Posted

Agreed Dogs. The trends seem to indicate a less cold spell coming to us just around Xmas, but you never know with this weather. The 'atlantic' doesn't seem that active at the mo. I feel there could be subtle changes in the model output over the next couple of days that could result in an extension of the cold for the West and maybe snow.

If we get the Channel Low then as always we GET A LARGE DUMPING :):) ..roll on Mon-Tues...Oh we better have the few inches tonight first though... :)

edit

Nick.F

blog now updated

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just been out for a walk, was nice with the winter sunshine. It has now clouded over so I am hoping we may get a few bits of snow out of it.

Posted

If we get the Channel Low then as always we GET A LARGE DUMPING drinks.gifdrinks.gif ..roll on Mon-Tues...Oh we better have the few inches tonight first though... laugh.gif

Just saw latest weather update on news24 and Darren Bett said staying cold right up until Xmas. But nothing really showing for us early next week in terms of snow.

Tonight still looks like rain, followed by v.cold temps. I reckon the Cotswolds may get wet snow, but that band looks quite narrow, so only last an hour or so.

Posted

Just saw latest weather update on news24 and Darren Bett said staying cold right up until Xmas. But nothing really showing for us early next week in terms of snow.

Tonight still looks like rain, followed by v.cold temps. I reckon the Cotswolds may get wet snow, but that band looks quite narrow, so only last an hour or so.

yea they wont say anything yet as everything is not clear..

but if it comes off....sledging to xmas

Posted

monday looks best for snow in the west country otherwise currently its looks pretty marginal. south west except plymouth! is gunna do the poorest out of this cold spell its been dry all the time everywhere else gets it!!!!!

Edited by David-kig

Posted

Light snow here coming from wales looking at radar.

V.light rain here in NTH BTL. Guess temps have risen too much for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Light snow shower here, temp has started dropping from a high of 2.2C, now 1.4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Apparently ( Although its only a small front ) the guys up north have blizzard like conditions.

So you never know, It may spread out quite a bit by the time it gets here, and hopefully as it draggs in the cool air as it goes over already cold areas it may be snow already by the time it reaches here.

Its currently still frosty outside. So if it rains I will be shocked!

Posted

Looks like a LOT of heavy showers behind the main band.

The guys up north may see a lot more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

light snow hereyahoo.gif

fromeydrinks.gif

Posted

Dont forget.. We are still very early on in the winter.

Also note, that although its falling as rain on the leading side of the front. It does turn to snow and is leaving a LOT of it behind.

Also note, that we are coming upto the latter part of the day now, So temps should stabilise or at least start to drop off again.

Dont dispare!