Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

temp here is -1.2c with the sun almost at its highest the temps should start to fall away fast, then the fun and games begin tonight.

fromeydrinks.gif

Posted

temp here is -1.2c with the sun almost at its highest the temps should start to fall away fast, then the fun and games begin tonight.

fromeydrinks.gif

i think it will be rain by the look of the rain sleet and snow rader currently sw scotland in the rain :s

woohoo. snowing way out west. Was only expecting rain out of this.

yes looking at the snow rader plymouth look like a gd place for the next hour right in the middle of that big showery thing

Posted

I admire peoples' optimism. :lol:

The easterly just fell short.

The northerly will probably do the same.

Now there seems to be snow to the south and west. If it actually gets to the NE of Bristol, then I shall be surprised and delighted.

I'm not really a miserable old bag.....it's just that it's been disappointment after disappointment.

Sunday/Monday people say....we'll get snow then. Always a few days away, innit!

Don't get me wrong.....I love snow. It doesn't matter how old you get.....that love never dies! I'm just tired of the disappointment. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I admire peoples' optimism. drinks.gif

Now there seems to be snow to the south and west. If it actually gets to the NE of Bristol, then I shall be surprised and delighted.

I'm not really a miserable old bag.....it's just that it's been disappointment after disappointment.

Sunday/Monday people say....we'll get snow then. Always a few days away, innit!

Don't get me wrong.....I love snow. It doesn't matter how old you get.....that love never dies! I'm just tired of the disappointment. cray.gif

Don't worry we will see some in a day or so... aggressive.gifaggressive.gifacute.gifmad.gif

If tonight fails i think i may just have to cancel christmas. nonono.gifnea.gif

well look on bright side i have not seen freezing rain for quite a few years now.... cray.gif

Posted

I admire peoples' optimism. :p

My take on it is yes the easterly was too much of a N/NE-ly to start with no snow here that means,it didn`t last.

The N-ly is now turning into a WNW or west surface tomorrow,it will be surface NW winds tonight though,don`t get me wrong theres still plenty of cold air wrapped in so further north here may see the first drifting westerly snow since the 90`s here`s hoping.

But it`s not so good further South a west/SW flow this week,this is going to be a very interesting week for sure though further north.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack1a.gif

Posted

It's snowing AND laying in torpoint (home), and where am I? Still in Bristol, beacause I have to work. But I'm going back tommorrow. Hopefully I'll get some flakes tonight in Brizzle then it'll follow me home again.

Posted

yey we had a bit of snow this morning couldn't believe my eyes, it was such a shock wasnt expecting it (not here anyway) someone mentioned in an earlier post how we didnt get much out of an easterly, well we never do not in the west country, we always do best from a N or a NW. its very nice to see in Dec hope this is a good omen for the rest of the winter.

kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I still think we are in with a good shout for snow later tonight. GFS has been consistent, showing mainly snow for Gloucestershire. The only uncertainty for me is how much rain and sleet (if any) will precede the snow. Nevertheless I don't think this is going to be a deep snow event - I still reckon on about 2cm by morning for Cheltenham - perhaps 5cm if we are lucky. I'm sure that the Cotswolds will see snow and if mullender doesn't see anything on the Mendips at nearly 300m I will be very surprised! Last year Cleeve Hill at 330m had a foot of drifting snow, while we had about 4 inches in Cheltenham.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

shower activity fails as it reaches south wales and the channel area again. wallbash.gif

Posted

I still think we are in with a good shout for snow later tonight. GFS has been consistent, showing mainly snow for Gloucestershire. The only uncertainty for me is how much rain and sleet (if any) will precede the snow. Nevertheless I don't think this is going to be a deep snow event - I still reckon on about 2cm by morning for Cheltenham - perhaps 5cm if we are lucky. I'm sure that the Cotswolds will see snow and if mullender doesn't see anything on the Mendips at nearly 300m I will be very surprised! Last year Cleeve Hill at 330m had a foot of drifting snow, while we had about 4 inches in Cheltenham.

cant stop....at work but there is VERY GOOD chance for snow for us,,,

got some good info from someone who realy knows

Posted

cant stop....at work but there is VERY GOOD chance for snow for us,,,

got some good info from someone who realy knows

very light snow in bristol .. odd small flakes .

shower activity fails as it reaches south wales and the channel area again. wallbash.gif

snowing in bristol now , very light though .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

1pm and the temperature has just touched 0.0C -- perhaps not quite an ice day here but certainly cold.

Posted

we need it 2 go north not n.w as it is or we are going to get the rain!!!!! i see now why they are forecasting rain by the way the front is and where rain and direction or it this is going to be a call and not much on it earlier has to be said

Posted

this is what is on the rader snow showers in cornwall one or to in devon. west cornwall seems the snow showers turning alittle sleety currently. plymouth having fun. snow showers in wales. rain or sleet showers in ireland with rain with abit of sleet coming in from the north as we speak. i have noticed looks like the band south scotland is turning bk to rain to something to watch out 4on its leading edge more later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

very light snow in bristol .. odd small flakes .

snowing in bristol now , very light though .

i ve just looked out of the window to see some black clouds coming from the brizzle direction, nice surprisedrinks.gif

temps here still below 0c and starting to fall

fromeydrinks.gif

very strange really because my weather station started showing snow about 45mins ago!!

Edited by fromey

Posted

i ve just looked out of the window to see some black clouds coming from the brizzle direction, nice surprisedrinks.gif

temps here still below 0c and starting to fall

fromeydrinks.gif

theres one or 2 light showers just coming into bristol might see a flake abit later mate

Posted

real hard call for tonight imo - I would say going purely on the models (WRF NMM &5km * GFS on here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=0) then it does look like cotswolds and east gets snow - west of this freezing rain atleast to start. Saving grace is the snow showers predicted for tomorrow in the folowing unstable flow which could penetrate anywhere in our area with some locations looking good.

sam

Posted

we need it 2 go north not n.w as it is or we are going to get the rain!!!!! i see now why they are forecasting rain by the way the front is and where rain and direction or it this is going to be a call and not much on it earlier has to be said

You really need to read your posts before you send them - it's jiberish mate ! Try some punctuation !

Tonight is a really difficult call - it will be cold enough aloft and also at ground level for snow but there is a shallow warm layer of air that is the problem being dragged in ahead of the front. This is around +4C so may result in sub zero rainfall at ground level. As the cold air behind the front digs in it will turn to snow, but when and how much will be down to nowcasting. The further east you are the better, altitude may not help that much as the warmer layer is elevated.

I just hope it isn't freezing rain as that is incredibly dangerous for anybody out and about.

Posted

Must be something happening as BBC west have us down for heavy snow on Monday!!! BBC never say it will snow!! :p

Edited by madge