Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Haha! All I have to enjoy today is a day at work, whenever I get there because the buses will no doubt not be running on time.

You'll be lucky if there are any at all, all the Sanders ones were cancelled up here Friday (despite there only being a tiny bit of snow) also Waitrose Swaffham thought it was too dangerous to deliver Fri night, but last night was fine apparently - muppets

Posted

I have all the family arriving for Christmas this afternoon and the met office forecast for Lowestoft is 4 whole days of unbroken sunshine, it's going to be wonderful.

Posted

Ice day today anyone?

Temp is showing about -5.5c

We nearly had an ice day here yesterday - if only the temp hadn't gone up to 0.2c at 11pm!! Charlwood now showing -1.9c

Not much new snow here overnight - a cm or 2 which has filled in the gaps that had been melted / driven upon - I should think it's going to be a hard one to drive in... I've got 9 Lessons and Carols tonight - In the Bleak Midwinter indeed!

Posted

A bitterly cold -7C here at the moment which is far lower than the BBC forecast of -2C!

Looking at the fax charts and they suggest its going to remain fine and dry here for the next few days. Looks like the S coast into Kent/London may see some milder temps.

Posted

This has been absolutely fantastic!

We have been very lucky here in Tonbridge Kent, third day in a row waking up to a thick covering of lovely snow, a real winter wonderland.

We had another inch or so of fresh snow overnight on top of the 6 inches that fell last Thursday night.

There has been very little thaw so far (only off south facing roofs)

Unfortunately, I fear the end is near now though!

I think temperatures will now slowly start to recover, perhaps up to 3c today?

I don't know about you, but I hate the messy thaw of lying snow and packed ice.

With global warming etc, I never thought I would see permafrost conditions like these again in this part of the UK.

Posted

A bitterly cold -7C here at the moment which is far lower than the BBC forecast of -2C!

Looking at the fax charts and they suggest its going to remain fine and dry here for the next few days. Looks like the S coast into Kent/London may see some milder temps.

Blimey,Davey boy thats quite a margin of error for them dont you think?a whole 5c,pehaps everyone is overcooking the temps,and that milder air wont be quite so mild,can only wish i suppose....:)

Edited by TN9

Posted

Thats what its all about L,bit of snow,Christmas time,bit of winter sun,family around,good stuff...helps make up for lifes little s*** bits....smile.gif

Yes your'e so right. We have snow on the ground, and 4 days of sub zero temperatures and sunshine. What could be better. Bye for now as I must start cleaning the house.

Posted

Currently -4c on my weather station and another inch of snow fell last night adding to the 4 inches we already have. Snow not melting because temps have been below freezing for the last 3 days. Oh well looks as though things may get a touch milder .

Anyway I have had my snow fix. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

only got icey rain, sleetly wet snow...last night. No topup and now its melting in the sun. I must move to a higher altitude :lol:

Posted

Just looking at the predicted temps and it is possible that anyone N of London including W Norfolk, W essex, W Suffolk could see temps remain at or below freezing from now until xmas day. This would be remarkable compared to recent years.

I will also add that snow showers are expected to move into NW England and spread E into Yorks/Lincs. So it is possible that the extreme NW of our region could see a few flurries later.

Posted

During the snow and when covered with cloud, the temperature climbed from a low late last evening of -5.5C up to +0.2C, we're now in the strange situation of the sun coming up and the temperature going down, the temperature here is currently -2.8C dropping between 0.2 and 0.3C every 15 minutes.

I think it's safe to say it's not going to be a warm day. :lol:

Posted

I think you may very well be right there -1.5c at the moment and boy does it feel it!

Edited by Rich44

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

That 'cold front' did a great job in ensuring a net deficit of snow cover following its passage during the earlier hours of this morningdoh.gif

Temps were well below freezing throughout yesterday, and even when the 'wintry mix' was advancing towards my area the frost was holding up well. Went to bed in 'non anticipation' and sure enough it is clear that it obviously produced mostly rain and sleet and a rise in temps in contrast to any 'snow band'. Huge let-down.

Just some sketchy remains of snow cover left now - so a 'green' final straight into xmas is guaranteed here nowsad.gif

On a very IMBY basis - the cold spells of both Feb and Dec 05 were infinitely more productive than this one. Even the Feb spell this year produced over 10cms of snow - although it didn't last very long.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Whilst it looks like the snowy part of the cold spell is over for now I still wouldnt be surprised to see a few pleasant surprises, especially looking at the fax charts on monday night into tuesday - should be a spell of sleet/snow before it turns to rain south of the M4, while just to the north of he M4/A12 there could well just be a spell of sleet/snow for some. Id also expect more precipitation perhaps than is being suggested by BBC/Met Office at present as it moves up the channel

Last night made up for the dissapointment of thursday night here, we had about 2 inches fall (about the same as thursday night) but the flake size was very impressive. Between the size of ping pong balls and tennis balls at one stage!

Now -5c here and a beautiful scene outside

SK

Posted

last night we had snow but the temperature rather irritatingly struggled up to 0.5c for a few hours after midnight, I suspect all my powder snow will now be crusty and iced up. !

Temperature has fallen when cloud disappeared , currently -2.5c. We managed about 1cm by looks of things of snow. Still looks like another lovely day here ahead. Just hope temps do not go up too much in next few days or the snow will be gone

Posted

Beautiful sunny skies for the next few days are predicted. Hopefully some light snow on Christmas day will come!

Posted

Over an inch, suprising after thinking no snow at all! It fell very quickly as well.

I got an inch too. Im forecasted sub zero temperatures through to Christmas Eve so im fairly confident of a white christmas!

Posted

I got an inch too. Im forecasted sub zero temperatures through to Christmas Eve so im fairly confident of a white christmas!

I'm not sure for here, sounds like I may just be attacked by the milder air!

Edited by saint