Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Theres plenty of showers showing around Leicester on the link below , but my street even seems to have dodged every one of them , Enjoy the crisp frosty morning tomorrow as from Wednesday cold spell is over .

http://wap.weatheronline.co.uk/wappay/radar?SID=10604000203b3a119ef1a959854132e8af6f56e3&L=en&TYP=ukuk&C=ukuk

Ok ok let's look at this objectively, the precip' at the minute is straggling the eastern most part of are region, but the meto's warning are until 6.00am tomorrow. now if you look at the radar loop, the precip' down in hampshire looks to bee traveling more NN/E as opposed to the band just to our east travelling NE, so maybe we will get a second batch which will push a little more westwards and clip Warks/Leics?

This is just my scraping the barrel. :)

The UKMO Precipitation charts show just that , I doubt very much that will happen but it is a staw to clutch on for the next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Ok ok let's look at this objectively, the precip' at the minute is straggling the eastern most part of are region, but the meto's warning are until 6.00am tomorrow. now if you look at the radar loop, the precip' down in hampshire looks to bee traveling more NN/E as opposed to the band just to our east travelling NE, so maybe we will get a second batch which will push a little more westwards and clip Warks/Leics?

This is just my scraping the barrel. :wallbash:

Yes that's what is going to happen! There is no way it would be so cruel as to raise my hopes again so it will blinking well head into Warwickshire or I will personally go out and tie the clouds to my car and drag them here.

Jeez, who'd live in Warks the last few days? What a saga!

Posted
Still snowing lightly in Northants and has been for over 3 hours now. Wonderful!

Yep same here at NN4, I haven't measured it but I'm guessing there's around an 1" of new snow here. Snow becoming very light now, the end is near I fear! :(

Posted

Snow should be around until about 3am-6am, although it is fizziling out quite rapidly now and its not even midnight! lol, still aslong as i keep what i have here which is about an inch then i'll be happy! :)

Roads really are treacherous! Was out in the car earlier whilst the heavy snow was about, one particular hill where people struggled to get up just slid back down again. It was unbelievable. The best thing of all was at the otherside was a hospital! lol

Also 4 jackknifed lorries and a standstill all around the Aylesbury area. Max speed on the roads, 5-10mph MAX! lol (admittedly some people are over cautious :(

Edited by JamieUK

Posted

Ive been wathcing the goings on with interest, doesnt look like anything of any interest is going to hit the Derby area, ive looked at the rain today radar and it appears to be pivoting round just below Leicester.

Theres been a slight frosting of snow ( calling it a dusting of snow would be a bit much ) that has mostly stuk for a few days, althoough looking at it, it could just be the frost after all.

On one side im gutted that there hasnt been any snow from this much hyped cold spell, and on the other side im glad it hasnt caused any disruption, although the last time it did snow ( back in february ) i set out extra early for work, taking it easy through the snow and then stopping quite a few times, and getting out of my car just to have a look at it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Although the western area of the ppn has fizzled rather than moved away east , there is every chance that things will liven up again b4 it moves away , ppn develops out of no where under low pressure and if yiu have a look at the radar you can see that between the last two shots you can see although bits fizzled further there was also a tiny area of ppn( around reading area i think )that developed, very small but its a start .

Also which i noticed it seems to me the ppn around to the north east of us seems to be tracking quite significantly more northerly rather than north east , so maybe a sign that things are still developing . Only my thoughts not a forecast , thoughts welcome rolleyes.gif

Posted

weds night snow to rain possible i think. maybe for 1 hour. very heavy precip should allow the snow down to lower levels for a time. we will see though. A degree colder in temps and dew point and id say it was highly likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

we have freezing fog here now :(

yes I can imagine, not foggy here but misty clouds. fog maybe about to come down, temp -3.2C, if fog comes could be fantastic in morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

yes I can imagine, not foggy here but misty clouds. fog maybe about to come down, temp -3.2C, if fog comes could be fantastic in morning

We might finally get an ice day. Reached 0.3c on Friday and Saturday, annoyingly close...

Posted

The 18z is funny , it stalls the front , allows the cold air to sink back south and gives Leicester a snowy Christmas Morning. As if ..... 18z been down the pub again!

Posted

We might finally get an ice day. Reached 0.3c on Friday and Saturday, annoyingly close...

what do you think wednesday into xmas eve? looks to be lots of precip around on met office, bbc and gfs 18Z, but looks very marginal

may go with camera tomorrow and photo white Wildwood

Posted

Phwoar, take a look at this Christmas morning snow depth chart :lol:

http://charts.netwea...uksnowdepth.png

I am looking more at Christmas Eve into Christmas Day Mark, a marginal but potentially heavy snowfall!

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Phwoar, take a look at this Christmas morning snow depth chart :hi:

http://charts.netwea...uksnowdepth.png

I am looking more at Christmas Eve into Christmas Day Mark, a marginal but potentially heavy snowfall!

sadly I dont rate those charts, after saturdays 12Z, it had the whole area down for 3 hours snow! not 20 mins rain/sleet :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like some could squeeze in a White Chtistmas particularly if they want just a flake falling but like many who want a covering or some snow on the ground, get any that you have before the big day and put it in the biggest pile you can manage as i said earlier! You cant fail then! Lol.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

sadly I dont rate those charts, after saturdays 12Z, it had the whole area down for 3 hours snow! not 20 mins rain/sleet :hi:

Back to Wednesday into Thursday, it looks as though our only hope of significant snowfall is going to be from a very marginal event. I don't think it will be cold enough, uppers seem far too high.

Posted

Back to Wednesday into Thursday, it looks as though our only hope of significant snowfall is going to be from a very marginal event. I don't think it will be cold enough, uppers seem far too high.

kinda looking into FI now for a possible northerly toppler, now that could deliver, like Xmas day 2004

18Z looking like an interesting FI

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It will be marginal however if the GFS is right those who have had tonights snow have seen it from about -3/-4 850hpa temps.

Posted

OK look at the precipitation on the south coast over portsmouth... quite intense - heading our way?

Posted

The 18z is funny , it stalls the front , allows the cold air to sink back south and gives Leicester a snowy Christmas Morning. As if ..... 18z been down the pub again!

So you accept then that your comments earlier about the cold spell ending Weds were a bit premature? :whistling:

OK look at the precipitation on the south coast over portsmouth... quite intense - heading our way?

OMG well spotted- precip has really pepped up down there over the past 30-60 minutes and gradually heading NEwards. Come on you beauty. Let's be 'aving you!

The NW future projection has it reaching Oxford by 11pm.

Posted

So you accept then that your comments earlier about the cold spell ending Weds were a bit premature? :D

OMG well spotted- precip has really pepped up down there over the past 30-60 minutes and gradually heading NEwards. Come on you beauty. Let's be 'aving you!

The NW future projection has it reaching Oxford by 11pm.

I think everybody else has given up!