Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Really starting to settle now good good.

Posted

Has been mostly rain down towards the coast but is actually starting to turn more wintry which I wasn't expecting. It was 100% rain about 15 minutes ago but is more of a rain/sleet combination now with a few odd flakes thrown in too.

[edit] in the time it took to write the post, it's turned more snowy..

Edited by Looking Up

Posted

I can confirm what Lookup and Stormboy are seeing it is snowing light to moderate here in Newbs... and the traffic is queuing outside my house which doensn't bode well for later!!

Posted

Has turned to sleet now in Southampton looks line anywhere north of Winchester should get some snow but looking at MO warnings it does show Hampshire out of the flash warning but it seems the colder air is now moving to the west and the whole of the south east not as cold.

still very messy and still just about anything could happen.

Posted

I can confirm what Lookup and Stormboy are seeing it is snowing light to moderate here in Newbs... and the traffic is queuing outside my house which doensn't bode well for later!!

Moderate to heavy snow for the last hour and a half here in Odiham (central north Hants) but very wet so only lying a bit. I am just on the boundary of the snow here. On the hills around here - towards Farnham(Surrey) to the south west and Alton (Hampshire) to the south, there have been accumulations of up to 2" and I would imangine that there will be accumulations of 4" or more before this event is over.

Posted

Moderate to heavy snow for the last hour and a half here in Odiham (central north Hants) but very wet so only lying a bit. I am just on the boundary of the snow here. On the hills around here - towards Farnham(Surrey) to the south west and Alton (Hampshire) to the south, there have been accumulations of up to 2" and I would imangine that there will be accumulations of 4" or more before this event is over.

I'm about the same as you bang on the boundary! It started as rain then went to sleet then snow then to sleet then snow and then sleet and back to snow now lol. Lying as a brief covering on roads and pavements. Melted )to a slushy mess) mostly during last sleet session now lying again on top of said slush.

Whatta mess :nonono::lol::lol:

Posted

Proper big flakes of moderate/heavy snow now.

i'm in west sussex, not much above sea level and just 12 miles inland from the south coast [north of worting]. amid the rain, sleet and soft hail we've just had some fresh snow, which settled. there's hope yet, lol.

Posted

i'm in west sussex, not much above sea level and just 12 miles inland from the south coast [north of worting]. amid the rain, sleet and soft hail we've just had some fresh snow, which settled. there's hope yet, lol.

Your the same as me then. I'm 12/13 miles in from Southampton.

Posted

very heavy snow still here in Walton-on-the-Hill (Nr Reigate) No real let up for over 30mins :-)

Posted

Proper big flakes of moderate/heavy snow now.

It has just got a little lighter here - however even this is beginning to lie. I noticed that the temperature dropped from 0.9 at 12 noon to 0.2 at 2pm in Odiham. Would expect to get a couple of inches from this, with up to 4" on nearby hills.

Posted

Still a rain/snow mix here although for the first time looking out the window it look more snow than rain. Starting to settle a little on the grass here too but doesn't look like much chance of it settling anywhere else. It's been fascinating watching it fall this afternoon especially watching how one moment it looks like all snow falling and then in a blink of an eye back to rain, and then back again to snow so quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Huge, fat flakes coming down fast in Southampton. Laying on drier surfaces such as bushes and fences but the flakes look too fat and are coming down so quickly I think they must be wet. It is getting dark so hope the drop in temperature will encourage it to stick around for a bit.

Posted

Still heavy snow. Massive flakes too. Temp is -0.2C and dew point -2.5C.

Alto I've just driven down the road from Bramley to Sherborne St John and back to collect my son. All the roads round here, including these secondary routes are now covered in a good 1- 2 inches of snow.

Many cars slipping and sliding all over the place. I've got winter tyres on mine (skiing trip in Jan) which makes a huge difference ; bound to be a nightmare for people getting home from work.......and its still snowing heavily.