Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I know this isn't a classic channel low situation, although it still drifts into the channel, but as i said before, the wind direction is what will really make the difference, and it seems we will have onshore winds for quite a while, and that really wont be great for quite a few locations down south on the coast. I expect it to turn to snow on the other side of the solent a few hours before it does here, but it concerns me that it will turn to snow here a little late and give but a mere wet covering.

I have to mention though that being on an island in the english channel usually has its advantages during a cold spell, as we tend to get higher precip amounts and get a good covering, even when other S uk locations are dry.

Favourably, Jamie, the band of precipitation crossing into Eastbourne now is snow. Isle of Wight has a heavy snow warning all for itself from the Met O tomorrow and the latest NAE projections are looking better for your area. So fingers crossed.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

You now have Met Office red warnings and still only on 2 threads! Does anybody that lives there post on Netweather!?

I know mate posted on here a couple of times no response so gave up seen more action watching paint dry.

SW,SE and model much more interesting.

Posted

Favourably, Jamie, the band of precipitation crossing into Eastbourne now is snow. Isle of Wight has a heavy snow warning all for itself from the Met O tomorrow and the latest NAE projections are looking better for your area. So fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed? I have everything crossed!blum.gif

We have had some very light snow this morning (whilst i was ice skating on some flooded marshland) But temps have crept up to 3'c now so my faith is low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hello all!

I've just joined this site after reading for a while, I've mainly been looking at the southeast/southwest threads as it has been quiet on this one! Living in Portsmouth although I haven't seen much snow, we have had some (just before Xmas and Feb 09) but it hasn't been much and is quick to clear. I was very lucky last weekend though as I made last minute plans to spend new year in North Staffordshire and it snowed like I've never seen before (4 inches and huge flakes!) I was in my element and it was a lovely surprise!

It seems strange to have the severe warnings over our region although being so close to the sea I'm still not convinced we'll see much apart from sleet - all the frost has disappeared from the garden too. But whatever happens for anyone in our region, enjoy and above all take care! smile.gif

Posted

I'm hoping that if it does start as rain here then any heavier bursts could help drag the upper air temps down & turn it to snow quicker the BBC/Met Office are predicting. Also if we do get a thunderstorm develop in the channel this would help this process & give very heavy snow which would settle, regardless of how wet the ground was from previous rain.... It could however just stay as rain though... wallbash.gif

Edited by SunnySouthCoast

Posted

So are we all prepared? What have we done to prepare?

I've got the camera on charge is that what we should be doing to "Take Action" :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

I got my bread and milk! clap.gif

Posted

Well, i have got my umbrella and rain coat ready, also got my wellies out so i dont get wet feet in the torrential rain! blum.gif

Nah, im sure somethign white will fall at some point, just not so sure it will stick around!

Posted

I don't think I have ever seen a Meto Take Action/Extreme warning, certainly not for down here. Could be fun if the Met model is more correct than the GFS...

Steve

The red warning is a rare beast. There have been two occasions that I can remember this year however. One was Feb 09, the other was when the heavy thundersnow was hitting parts of the SE prior to Xmas. On both of these occasions the red warning was released during the event. The snow hasn't yet started in the highlighted red zone this time however.

I live right in the METO sweet spot. Shame I'm out of the country. You wait your entire life for an event like this and the only time you are away, a huge event strikes. Law of the Sod. :pardon:

Take care out there guys. I want to see some good photos posted - both during and after the event. :whistling:

Guest Quantumsnow

Think the problem is people in Central south migrate to either SW or SE thread!

Hi guys,

Had to agree with this a bit, i'm from West Sussex so am not too sure which thread to look at out of SE/SW half the time!

Feeling optimistic about coming events though, and to be honest I will be happy whoever gets the white stuff, it's nice to know someone somewhere will have some fun in it and for the beginning on January that is awesome in itself!

By the way, first post. Greetings all!! drinks.gif

Posted

Bloody rain just started here in Poole. Gutted happens every time maybe another massive disappointment here on coast. Cant believe our rotten luck.

Posted

Is no one actually worried about this at all? mellow.gif

Not here on the coast no. The lovely Reham on South Today just showed that it will be rain along the coast until after 7am tomorrow, that's if it even turns to snow then... whistling.gif

Posted

temp upto 4.2 here now

got say having just looked at the BBC forecast and graphics for the south coast it does not look good. The "warm" sector has migrated slightly further north and I can see as usual that those of us coastal will get the usual sleety/slight dusting and no more

:aggressive: <_< :aggressive:

Posted

popped to waitrose to pick up some extra supplies - that's about it :-) now just got to wait..

Is it me or is the precipitation on the radar not really building up as much as was expected?

Posted

Hi All.

I have been reading these forums since the days of snow watch on the BBC! Great site and have enjoyed reading over the years, not into the tech stuff, but like reading about the possibilities etc.

Had to post something today as it is not very often this sort of thing might happen. I am really worried that temperatures are going to be a little on the high side and I just can't se where all the precip is coming from looking at the radar. I think understandably were are all a little sceptical down here. I am in Bishops Waltham by the way which is between Southampton and Fareham. All the frost has gone from the cars etc, going to be close...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

It's 2.7 degrees in Farnham! A bit of a worry. Luckily nothing much is going to drop round here for a whilst yet! Low reckoned to be forming over SE England presently. Don't worry if not much on radar at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi all,

I've just been to Horndean, just slightly north from Portsmouth and there's not much frost there either and certainly not as cold as has been. Looks like rain for us now! Still love living by the coast though, well in the summer lol!

Posted

Hi all,

I've just been to Horndean, just slightly north from Portsmouth and there's not much frost there either and certainly not as cold as has been. Looks like rain for us now! Still love living by the coast though, well in the summer lol!

I grew up in Horndean drinks.gif

I think the main problem this evening and overnight here on the coast is that the wind will be coming from a southerly direction, off a still quite warm channel. This is what is likely to lead the precipitation to fall as rain/sleet. However tomorrow the wind direction will change to more of a north/north easterly direction, off the cold land, so even at sea level it should fall as snow. That's unless it all goes tits up & changes again tomorrow... wallbash.gif

Posted

It is probably quiet on here because we live in statistically one of the least snowy parts of the country and we kinda get forgotten about as a region & get lumped in with the SE generally... yet here we are threatened with a major event and the thread is dead, too many let downs in the past, but also a surprise event before xmas to whet the appetite.

Beka - I have my shovel at the ready as I am more than prepared to clear my drive and pathways this time round. I managed to fall over on the ice in December on the path outside my house and not gonna happen this time... having said that how am I supposed to clear the projected 35cm of level snow for my location? There will be nowhere to put it!! LOL

Posted

It is probably quiet on here because we live in statistically one of the least snowy parts of the country and we kinda get forgotten about as a region & get lumped in with the SE generally... yet here we are threatened with a major event and the thread is dead, too many let downs in the past, but also a surprise event before xmas to whet the appetite.

Beka - I have my shovel at the ready as I am more than prepared to clear my drive and pathways this time round. I managed to fall over on the ice in December on the path outside my house and not gonna happen this time... having said that how am I supposed to clear the projected 35cm of level snow for my location? There will be nowhere to put it!! LOL

I reckon you have the best chance being in the north of the region. I have friends in Berkshire and they always fair better than us. Those few miles can make all the difference, as demonstarted by basingstoke before Christmas

Posted

Cant believe how downbeat it is in here, this rain/sleet was forecast on the coast but turning to snow later on as the main band moves south pulling the colder air behind it and then keeps rotating giving us hours and hours of heavy snow,dont think they would issue a red warning lightly.