Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

drizzle here atm, kind of expected what we had today but didnt expect areas, some less than 10 miles either side to get snow which is what has slightly annoyed me closedeyes.gif no offence to those enjoying it btw smile.gif

hope the weather warnings are right and the rest of us in the home counties who got nothing but a thaw today can maybe get something from this

Surprised its raining there as Basingstoke heavy snow all afternoon even Winchester here in Southampton I lost count the amount of times its turned from rain to snow and back again

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You want to hope it only just gets to you,stays about there then retreats,cause if it scoots to far,relatively mild air is hot on its tail,knowing your luck TEITS,thats what will happen :drunk:

I'm thinking though that over night the lower temps will help with that.. That far north I don't think rain is much of a threat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

a definite slow thaw now. It is slow, so i still expect most of the lying snow to remain. And there is a little drizzle in the air. \lets hope colder air gets dragged back down when the snow pivots back down again.

Posted

Just want to clarify whats going on.

You see the area of precip thats moving N over Essex, Suffolk, well thats your warm front moving N. Now the area W of London stretching to the S coast, well thats you cold front that will eventually move E.

So although those in herts, London may see it turn drier (if it moves N to Peterborough), you will then see the cold front move E giving another spell of snow. Some lucky people could see many hrs of snow but alot depends on how far N its going to move. The most likely spot to see continuous heavy snow at the moment is around Luton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

.......... a lot of the energy seems to be dieing out from the precip band as it travels north. Hopefully enough snow though to cover the tracks the snowman has left! :drunk:

Posted

still snowing here, have about an inch on top of what was already here. Temp is falling now down to 1c and dewpoint at 0c.

Those worrying about the delay, it does seem to be moving really slowly. Had to wait an age for it to come up here when it was already snowing in Radlett and St Albans. Also precip didn't start until we were under the darker pinks on the radar. The light pinks brought nothing.

Posted

You see the area of precip thats moving N over Essex, Suffolk, well thats your warm front moving N. Now the area W of London stretching to the S coast, well thats you cold front that will eventually move E.

So although those in herts, London may see it turn drier (if it moves N to Peterborough), you will then see the cold front move E giving another spell of snow. Some lucky people could see many hrs of snow but alot depends on how far N its going to move. The most likely spot to see continuous heavy snow at the moment is around Luton.

:drunk::)

TEITS thanks for the great news! :)

Posted

So TEITS, will Herts see rain? But we may well see snow move back in?

Posted

If that band moves north east (LOL) I would be getting loads of snow

Im now 70% convinced this won't reach me. The heaviest precip is still to our S and if anything is starting to weaken according to the latest radar sequence.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

What do people think will be the northern extent of this snow, as GFS seems to show it reaching the Humber, yet BBC seem to show it reaching the wash and leaving Lincs where I am alone, even though we have a severe weather warning from the met office for Lincs. Fingers crossed the GFSis correct.

Posted

I don't mind drier later on as long it does not turn to rain, so far this is turning out better then Thursday and Saturday night, if this does come back around i dread to think how much laying snow we could get

Posted

Dont know if others have seen it as it could be buried under the endless warnings from the Meto but as Dave says the CF Will push east this evening and as such the Meto have an Advisory for Surrey, Medway, Kent and Greater London for Heavy Snowfall from 1638 until 0600 tomorrow :wacko:

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

just took me over an hour to get from dartford to bexleyheath, 3 miles if that.... totally crazy heavy snow which although stopped now has left a fresh inch on many surfaces. Glad mr car is quattro!

Posted

So here in kimpton i could get quite a bit more then :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I'm so upset :wacko: Yet again I have missed the snow.. we had some heavy rain earlier, but it's dry now.. on Thursday night we got a dusting at best, and Saturday night we got nothing.. I must be in one of the only places in the SE that hasn't seen lying snow..wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Posted

Some radars on the internet arent very good. They have PPN over Cambridge yet nothing is falling :wacko:

I think this is because it is very light and sublimates before reaching the ground. We had a couple of hours of that in Northampton but it has been snowing for about 1/2 hour now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Now dropped to 0.4C and precip has got heavier, but its now turned to rain with a bit of snow in. :wacko:

Going to be a messy night here in the east I think, not expecting all that much to be honest. Wish I was back at Uni in Reading now looking at the reports!

Posted

So here in kimpton i could get quite a bit more then :wacko:

If the cold front doesn't weaken then yes because its going to tilt and eventually the cold front will move E.

The trouble with this radar watching is its so unpredictable. Back in Feb 5th I had given up on seeing any snow due to the radar sequence. I was just about to pop into bed and noticed it started snowing. I switched my computer on and the band had intensified all of a sudden and gave me a huge snowfall. This is why using the radar isn't always a guarantee of what may happen over the next few hrs although its excellent for following showers, but not fronts!