Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

if ground is wet will snow still settle?? i know it sounds strange but what if it comes down hard and the rain ices over??

Mark,Oxford

It was raining for at least 2 hours, my road was like a small river, when the snow came it settled on the water, even though the air temp was 2.8ºc

Posted

Still snowing like mad in Chesham. Traffic in town is at a standstill, must have had a couple of inches extra since it started

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Stopped raining now, thank god. Is it me or is the snow working it's way back S. Me want some more.smiliz19.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

heavy snow here:D:D and settling on cars and grass that still has snow:D:D and it looks like the wet icey pavements its settling aswell:D

Mark,

Headington,Oxford,Oxfordshire

That Mark, of Mark & Debs? lol

Posted

I'm so upset ;) Yet again I have missed the snow.. we had some heavy rain earlier, but it's dry now.. on Thursday night we got a dusting at best, and Saturday night we got nothing.. I must be in one of the only places in the SE that hasn't seen lying snow..wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

join the club.....talk about frustration...Ive been on the edge (literary)of snow on two occasion's. :wacko:

And Im in the West

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

What a b***** nightmare. I've had to abandon my car near work and walk home. Its absolutely chaos out there. The snow has stopped now and PLEASE tell me no more is forecast for this evening ??? And what temps are they forecasting for tonight ?

I love the snow but the novelty factor is rapidly running out !

my part of surrey has had nothing so far. Lucky!!

Posted

0.9c and just started raining here in St Ives, not looking great for Huntingdon or Peterborough

Still -1C here.

The reason for your rain is probably due to the weak intensity of the precip. If it turns heavier it will turn to snow. When the situation is marginal you never want light precip as heavy precip can cool the air temps by a few degrees.

Posted

If the cold front doesn't weaken then yes because its going to tilt and eventually the cold front will move E.

The trouble with this radar watching is its so unpredictable. Back in Feb 5th I had given up on seeing any snow due to the radar sequence. I was just about to pop into bed and noticed it started snowing. I switched my computer on and the band had intensified all of a sudden and gave me a huge snowfall. This is why using the radar isn't always a guarantee of what may happen over the next few hrs although its excellent for following showers, but not fronts!

TEITS could it rain? Would St. Albans see this rain, I hope not!

Very heavy here still, main roads at a gridlock.

Posted

we had a good hour of snow that fell after wet rain here in Reigate - this produced an extra inch and the town centre is grid locked - it's like an ice rinlk - I walked home but things are dripping and melting - some light drizzle atm!

Posted

PPN is still light snow here, though it did briefly turned sleety.

Hope the snow remains tonight; it's now the deepest it has been since Feb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

my part of surrey has had nothing so far. Lucky!!

haha same mate :aggressive: this part of Surrey has been poor for snow in the last few days..unknw.gif

Posted

So although those in herts, London may see it turn drier (if it moves N to Peterborough), you will then see the cold front move E giving another spell of snow. Some lucky people could see many hrs of snow but alot depends on how far N its going to move. The most likely spot to see continuous heavy snow at the moment is around Luton.

I love you if your right! Luton is doing extremely well so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

I'm so upset :aggressive: Yet again I have missed the snow.. we had some heavy rain earlier, but it's dry now.. on Thursday night we got a dusting at best, and Saturday night we got nothing.. I must be in one of the only places in the SE that hasn't seen lying snow..wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

SNAP we from the same place basicly, im a little SE of heathrow...

Posted

About 2 inches here in East Herts / West Essex border of Sawbridgeworth. Seems to have stopped here. Although I suspect this location will get more later.

Posted

I might be wrong but im not very happy with the radar at 17.00. Looks to me like the band is stalling and failing to make much more progression northwards. This might be a temporary hiccup or this is as far N as it will get before moving eastwards!

good call earlier when you said herts would get it! tring is slap bang in the middle of the band. heavy snow for the last hour and no sign of stopping.. if the precip keeps moving slowly NE we should get at least another 4 hours of this.. :aggressive: this is my sending off present as i will be moving to Zurich in the new year! so hopefully even more snow ;-)

Posted

FINALLY PPN has arrived. At the moment its sleet/wet snow. If the PPN turns heavier than I can see snow settling :aggressive:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

What do people think will be the northern extent of this snow, as GFS seems to show it reaching the Humber, yet BBC seem to show it reaching the wash and leaving Lincs where I am alone, even though we have a severe weather warning from the met office for Lincs. Fingers crossed the GFSis correct.

Most northern extent on the 12z UKMO appears to be Humberside area before it retreats east, cold front doesn't clear Kent till around lunchtime:

post-1052-12614184161413_thumb.gifpost-1052-12614184291713_thumb.gifpost-1052-12614184454913_thumb.gif

... so like TEITS said, going to be some areas that are going to see some significant accumulations into the night before it clears! Most likely the northern and western home counties especially Hants/Berks up to Chilterns and across to Dunstable.

Skies clearing here SE of the front, temp slowly falling so may turn icy before the front passes back through in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

raining now. :aggressive: hopefully it wont last long

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

Light snow started at 2:30pm, then turned to heavy snow at 4:00pm and its still snowing heavily. My prediction is that it will snow until tomorrow morning (6am).

I am going to post a video soon on Youtube.

Luton Airport have Cancelled flights and have diverted some aircrafts. (Luton Airport Information)

Luton Airport closed due to severe weather

Published Date: 21 December 2009

Passengers urged to contact airlines

Fresh snowfall has forced Luton Airport to close again this evening.

Bosses issued a travel warning at 5pm saying all flights arriving and departing from the airport were currently suspended.

Passengers should contact individual airlines for further advice.

A spokesman for easyJet apologised for the disruption to services and said further snow was expected tomorrow.

Posted

Another 3-4 Cms here in Rickmansworth.

Just arrived home after a difficult journey home from London.

Looks like we are in the firing line for the cold front too - so could be more to come.

Overall, a very noteworthy cold spell (for my part of the world) that looks like a 7-8 days event with at least 3 separate snow events. Judging by todays forecasts, I would say everything is FI for now, so who knows what we might get before it ends.

Posted

Gradually turning into 100% snow now. Started off as rain about 15 mins ago, then sleet, sleet/wet snow and now nearly fully snow!

Edit: more sleety now =(

Edited by Snowman0697