Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

I would recommend an oregon scientific but look around and compare prices because they can be expensive!

This is the one i have got but i bought mine from germany for £200.

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/oregon_WMR200.html

Go to the video tabs and choose local forecast it updates around now i think to show it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2076?area=Radstock

Thanks mulley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hey mullender thanks but its a bit out of my price range i looked on various price comparsion sites cheapest i could get was 230 pounds

i was thinking something like this:

http://www.atomictim...er-station.html

or

http://www.expansys....partner=froogle

do u think either of these could do the job smile.gif

Thanks

Jonesy

They are both very good. I got a similar one about 7 years ago which was almost the same as your first link and it still serves me well!

I now use it for my ground temperature and sits on the bed side table. After a few years i saved up for the more flash one and remember spending the whole day like a child with new toy up and down roof fitting bits of it and checking it. haharofl.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl

Doesn't look much out there from looking at raintoday radar, but there must be a chance they pep up in next couple of hours - keep an eye on them.

Couldn't agree more!

generally forcasters disregard these showers..

Posted

Still very interesting though and i expect the meto may put out a warning tomoro if they feels it will happen although we all saw what happened with yesterdays warning....whistling.gif

On the wunderground site there is quite a few stations recording -3's already.

god yes its going to be nail biting stuff .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I expected my day time temp today to be higher than 3.3c. I thought 4-5c was forecasted.

Hopefully tomorrow's highs are not going to be met either, stand a better chance of the front falling as snow then.

Posted

Just watched News24 weather on Beeb - showing snow for our area around teatime tomorrow - is that an upgrade to earlier forecast? Worth keeping an eye on.

Posted

I expected my day time temp today to be higher than 3.3c. I thought 4-5c was forecasted.

Hopefully tomorrow's highs are not going to be met either, stand a better chance of the front falling as snow then.

Its going to be another exausting day of radar watching/waiting for rain to change to snow if it happens ect ect.

We are still the most snow starved region by along shot looking at some of the photo's. shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Just watched News24 weather on Beeb - showing snow for our area around teatime tomorrow - is that an upgrade to earlier forecast? Worth keeping an eye on.

I think it's there to be had, may have to endure a bit of rain first before it turns to snow.

Posted

what for somerset 2?? i doult it looks like an evening snow event.

Its going to be another exausting day of radar watching/waiting for rain to change to snow if it happens ect ect.

We are still the most snow starved region by along shot looking at some of the photo's. shok.gif

that always seems to be the case ha ha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Humm ok.

So , The BBC weather man says,

Fog from 6pm tonight ( currently clear as a bell and freeeezing )

Then a low moves in tomorrow. It was showing rain for the South from midday and then reaching Glos by late evening by then very heavy.

Considering this low has a lot of cold air in it and its a cold front, And we have a lot of cold air about. i find it hard to believe it will just be rain.

Also,

The longer the fog stays away, the better . means everything can freeze a bit more.

Tomorrow will certainly be interesting.

I just hope it starts sooner so i have something to watch while at work.

Boring clear blue skies is no fun.

Good luck all.

Be safe

Posted

OK:

Approx anywhere north of Bristol - tomorrow evening - could become fun and games. I say no more at this stage: far too much fluidity in the high-res modelling and WBFL geography / lowering based also on precip intensity. But potential is certainly there (my tip - Glos: eyes to the skies, certainly; perhaps elsewhere in this region too).

We're trying to emphasise this core uncertainty (i.e., rain/snow discrimination and potential) as best possible, in the usual short broadcast durations / wider public consumption message style. In the current state of flux, tomorrow evening's mesoscale (let alone subregional) detail is frankly a lifetime away. Tonight's continuing ice and freezing fog prospects are much more pressing.

Will try to keep you all posted on the UKMO view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

OK:

Approx anywhere north of Bristol - tomorrow evening - could become fun and games. I say no more at this stage: far too much fluidity in the high-res modelling and WBFL geography / lowering based also on precip intensity. But potential is certainly there (my tip - Glos: eyes to the skies, certainly; perhaps elsewhere in this region too).

We're trying to emphasise this core uncertainty (i.e., rain/snow discrimination and potential) as best possible, in the usual short broadcast durations / wider public consumption message style. In the current state of flux, tomorrow evening's mesoscale (let alone subregional) detail is frankly a lifetime away. Tonight's continuing ice and freezing fog prospects are much more pressing.

Evening Ian,

What would you say the prospects are for this far south and west, but 900feet up on Dartmoor, current temps are -4.5C so plenty of surface cold around and existing snow cover.

Posted

OK:

Thank you Ian, great input!

Posted

An update from Ian wouldn't go a miss. I'm so confussed. Maybe he's still at work trying to figure this one out!!!

Thankfully I finished work at 1130hrs but the term 'thankfully' never seems so apt when scraping ice off my car at 0335hrs and assuming the recent unsolicited role of ice-rallying Vauxhall test driver on the streets of north Bristol. Tomorrow promises more of the same. I fully expect minima way under the -3C our UKMO MOS suggests for centre of urban Bristol tonight. It's already -5C in parts of east Somerset....

Posted

OK:

Cheers Ian. Looking at the graphics on the 19:57 forecast on news24 looked like we'd get some snow action in BTL around teatime tomorrow; then watched the forecast at 20:27 and the forecaster didn't want to say too much. My interpretation of that is "uncertainty" to detail in tom night's forecast. Must be a nightmare for you guys at the mo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I had to scrape the windscreen to come home tonight - it's going to be a cold one :(

Posted

OK:

Would you say mendips are too far south for this event Ian?

Its currently -5.1c here

Edited by mullender83

Posted

OK:

Would you say siston common would have a chance if you know where that is.

Posted

OK:

thanks ian :( , bristol would have rain then .!

Posted

Thanks for the Update Ian,

Certailny look's like a potential for us up here.

Even Richard Angwin said there was a possability for snow.

I will be on guard tomorrow but wont get my hope's up just yet as there is

still uncertainty at this stage.

But could it be our turn :(

Posted

Would you say mendips are too far south for this event Ian?

My take on tom eve is it looks like one of those typical evenings from last February where the v.short range forecasts (within a few hours of the event) was changing all the time. As we all know most of us in BTL, Gloucs and N. Somerset were on the 'right' side of marginal for those falls in Feb. Maybe tomorrowwhistling.gif

Posted

Come back home to find a nice dusting of snow in the shaded areas this evening from a heavy snow shower this morning which arrived after i'd just left for work :(.

Still those showers in the channel appear to be tilting to a north eastery direction so maybe we may still have some hope with them moving across us :). I think im just straw clutching now lol.

Reached a max of 5.4c today which im not convinced at considering the dusting is still there i would have thought it would have melted.