Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

The band of precip moving due East North East at present will be another look out of the window and see situation, the temp and dewpoint profiles across the South East are all over the place and as we know if heavier precip occurs in any one given location then the 0 degree Isotherm gets dragged down and snowfall is more likely.

Just a few from around our region.

Shoreham has 6c and 4c Dewpoint - No Chance of Snow

Heathrow has 1c and 0c Dewpoint - Good chance of Snow

City Airport has 3c and 1c Dewpoint - Would need heavier precip to allow snow

Southend has 3c and 1c Dewpoint - Would need heavier precip to allow snow

So it's a watch and see if you get lucky situation.

The Band of Snow/Sleet/Rain is the Cold Front finally moving East and I would not like to call how it reacts in the next few hours, my guess is that is should fizzle out in the next few hours.

Paul S

Thank you :good: Well hopefully I get some snow.. I've missed out on all of the fun in the last few days :air_kiss:

Posted

The band of precip moving due East North East at present will be another look out of the window and see situation, the temp and dewpoint profiles across the South East are all over the place and as we know if heavier precip occurs in any one given location then the 0 degree Isotherm gets dragged down and snowfall is more likely....

The Band of Snow/Sleet/Rain is the Cold Front finally moving East and I would not like to call how it reacts in the next few hours, my guess is that is should fizzle out in the next few hours.

Paul S

thanks Paul. any thoughts on the forecast earlier tha suggested a rerun around 0500 for London

Some fairly heavy bursts in there, but it does look to be decreasing slightly in intensity as it pushes NE and E.

yeah, unfortunately its not as potent as it was further south

Posted

[quote name=hot air balloon/weather :good:' date='22 December 2009 - 00:25 ' timestamp='1261441509' post='1665215]

why couldnt it be laptop says yes!!

Anyhow u are wrong now a heavy shower of snow!!:air_kiss::)

Mark,oxford

The band of precip moving due East North East at present will be another look out of the window and see situation, the temp and dewpoint profiles across the South East are all over the place and as we know if heavier precip occurs in any one given location then the 0 degree Isotherm gets dragged down and snowfall is more likely.

Just a few from around our region.

Shoreham has 6c and 4c Dewpoint - No Chance of Snow

Heathrow has 1c and 0c Dewpoint - Good chance of Snow

City Airport has 3c and 1c Dewpoint - Would need heavier precip to allow snow

Southend has 3c and 1c Dewpoint - Would need heavier precip to allow snow

So it's a watch and see if you get lucky situation.

Paul S

I agree about the temperatures being all over the place- The warm front certainly warmed the surface up a bit & we should all be expecting rain, however its not that straight forward- because of the fact that the cold was so entrenched & the warm front & mixing was so shallow we havent really lost that cold air- add onto the fact that swathes of the SE have snow cover- which is again holding the surface temp down - the ZDL is probably a lot lower than it would be-

We seem to be in a very similar situaion to Saturday night- & how ironic would it be of we got snow from a warm front & rain from a cold front!!

We had rain & sleet Saturday night - with a bit of snow thrown in for good measure- what I think happened on the south side of the Thames was it was marginal- then the heat transfer when the PPN crossed the thames meant it tipped things the wrong side-

Perhaps we are working in reverse tonight-

Every west of London & away from the centre will get snow ( after the initial bit of sleetyness) & the whole south & SW side will get a little more snow, but go slightly North of the Thames & it maybe rain/sleet

I guess a lot will go down to PPN intensity-

Im quite optimistic of a little more snow here- its been very resilient- heavy snow at 4pm Which since then hasnt melted- although I hear the odd drip- so I would go for the low 0'c here - indicating that it wont take much to bring the ZDL back to the surface in a heavier showers & following on from the band if we do get a little more snow - skies should clear around 3/4 allowing another sharp drop in temps to well below freezing-

thats the plan anyway....

CHOW

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Cant see it tbh Mick. Also looking unlikely are the extreme icy conditions as just too much cloud cover left over from the old warm front and the advancing Cold Front.

My take on this Cold spell remains the same that we will not see any more appreciable snow until next year or maybe around New Years eve/day if Models shift a bit in the right direction, this will be a relief to many in our region for travelling over the Xmas Period.

Paul S

Posted

Cant see it tbh Mick. Also looking unlikely are the extreme icy conditions as just too much cloud cover left over from the old warm front and the advancing Cold Front.

My take on this Cold spell remains the same that we will not see any more appreciable snow until next year or maybe around New Years eve/day if Models shift a bit in the right direction, this will be a relief to many in our region for travelling over the Xmas Period.

Paul S

yeah, looks great falling and picture card when its settled, but is lousy to commute in. thanks for your thoughts (and Steve's) am keeping an eye on temps and radar overnight but only as a factor as to when i might get home tomorrow (trains running a saturday timetable for me in the morning) :air_kiss:

Posted

Sleet here now. Expecting snow if it gets heavier. Very marginal in this area now. Dont understand why Reading can get snow and Stevenage rain!?

Posted

Sleet in Hertford, will it turn to Snow?

Wow, some really big flakes now! Settling on wet surfaces.

What's the current temperature in St. Albans, the earlier Snow started to melt but now forming ice and freezing over again?

Posted

To all my fellow Herts lamp post watchers its good news! Temp dropped dramaticaly as the snow arrived! Dropped by 1.5c and now pure snow with the slush freezing!c

Posted

Sleet in Hertford, will it turn to Snow?

What's the current temperature in St. Albans, the earlier Snow started to melt but now forming ice and freezing over again?

It's about -0.1c, yeah it did that, started melting and is now icy.

This snow has settled on all wet surfaces!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

nothing here yet, hope it turns out as good as this afternoon

Posted

It's about -0.1c, yeah it did that, started melting and is now icy.

This snow has settled on all wet surfaces!

I'm lamppost wathing out of my window from my P.C. and now it's turning into larger flakes from sleet and the temp. has dropped so hopefull of a little more Snow but Hertford is in a valley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

To all my fellow Herts lamp post watchers its good news! Temp dropped dramaticaly as the snow arrived! Dropped by 1.5c and now pure snow with the slush freezing!c

Just started proper snow here under 2 lamp-posts... was 0 degrees last hour, now down to minus half degree - gritter just passed by too ...

reckon this'll be the last of the snow tonight, freeze:cold: then thaw till..... er maybe a smidge in the early hours of Christmas day :hi:Nite nite

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=EGGW

Posted

Just started proper snow here under 2 lamp-posts... was 0 degrees last hour, now down to minus half degree - gritter just passed by too ...

reckon this'll be the last of the snow tonight, freeze:cold: then thaw till..... er maybe a smidge in the early hours of Christmas day :hi:Nite nite

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=EGGW

Agreed, enjoy it while you can folks! This could be the last flakes of 2009! Been looking at the charts for Weds night and it looks like rain will wash away the covering. Hate to rub it in but off to Leeds tommorow then off to Oslo until New years eve! :good:

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

Well if thats it for 2009 its still been a good snow year.

GFS 18Z shows in FI another cold period around 30th/31st Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Well if thats it for 2009 its still been a good snow year.

yeah mate defo, feb was fantastic hope we get some more like that this winter