Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

More precip with what looks like a streamer coming up from the Channel, heading up into Western/Central London. I feel sorry for the folks who are stuck in traffic right now, aswell as anyone else caught in this.

At least the saving grace is that for many they have the optional choice wether to venture out come the morning, I know personally with fresh snowfall ontop of Black Ice I'd rather stay at home.

Posted

they're not trapped, they should just get out and walk!

Have you been to Basingstoke???

Trust me .... they're trapped!! :whistling: :huh:

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

23:57 is the last live forecast. I too don't understand the logic of 6 hours of the same forecast played time after time when there are actually some people who work at night!

like me :huh:

they're not trapped, they should just get out and walk!

:lol: words of wisdom from SnowBallz. unfortunately common sense seems to go out the window in times like this. :whistling:

Posted

Yeah there's one thing that amazes me about this country (specifically SE England) are how stupid some people are, it makes you wonder how much it takes for common sense to kick in.

They would be abandoning there cars which would make it worse and would be going into very cold conditions......

(If we are talking about vehicles here)

Edited by saint

Posted

Yeah there's one thing that amazes me about this country (specifically SE England) are how stupid some people are, it makes you wonder how much it takes for common sense to kick in.

Lol.

Only joined today, I'm based over near Camberley. You've been hit quite bad in reading today with more to come by the looks of it!

Good luck

Posted

They would be abandoning there cars which would make it worse and would be going into very cold conditions......

(If we are talking about vehicles here)

I agree. Also, leaving your car is a big decision. Not sure how I would feel about walking away from my car miles from home...

Posted

Good news from the radar, with an intensifying 'blob' of precipitation which should be wintry the further north it moves (say across N/W London, Beds/Herts/Bucks).

This image shows how the cold uppers are pushing eastwards whilst the precipitation cannot keep up. Looking good for a bit more snow in the next 4-6 hours.

Posted

Dave,

How many winters gone by where we have longed for this :wacko:

So much excitement just watching the radar :wacko:

Fantastic isn't it. Here are some interesting stats for Peterborough during this cold spell.

So far snow has fallen every day since Thurs. The snow has come from the N,S,E,W. The highest temp has been 1C since Thurs and this has only occured for around 6hrs. The rest of the time its been below freezing including 2 ice days. The lowest temp has been -7C. Current lying snow is around 3-4 inches.

Also i've probably smoked 200 cigs since Thurs and had around 60 cups of tea whilst radar watching lol.

Lastly if you think this cold spell is going away then don't worry as I think it will return around New Years eve. Remember you heard it here first!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

I agree. Also, leaving your car is a big decision. Not sure how I would feel about walking away from my car miles from home...

hey Whitefox. you in the UK now or Stateside. been rough in the states i read :wacko:

Posted

Come this way!!!!!!!!!

I know the London Colney Savacentre ; so I've sent it that way.

Hope that helps. I aim to please.

Posted

Its very easy for those sat in their nice warm sitting room in front of their pc who really dont have to go anywhere far in the near future to want more snow or not feel for those who are stuck in traffic at the moment.

Truth is there are people who have to travel for work, to make sure that people are safe, to make sure that people have food over the next few weeks etc etc. There are people who would love to spend christmas with loved ones who may be living far away and there are the poor people who have been stuck in traffic for hours on end. Yes sure getting out and walking may seem like a good idea, some of these people MAY live too far to walk or for reasons like frailty or a disability cannot get out and simply walk. What would happen in the morning (should all these people be able to walk) got out of their cars, leaving them where they are and walked home??

I know some people are really excited about all this snow and I for one was one of them but now this is getting to be a more serious issue.

Sorry if this offends anyone

Janet

Posted

Yep! Some of these people would also be old and have children, how far would they have to walk in the dark? in the snow? in the ice? Always stay in your car and wait, but the services have a responsibility to be looking after these people and attending them.

I know the London Colney Savacentre ; so I've sent it that way.

Hope that helps. I aim to please.

Thanks mate!:wacko:

Posted

Fantastic isn't it. <snip>

Also i've probably smoked 200 cigs since Thurs and had around 60 cups of tea whilst radar watching lol.

<snip>

Fantastic Dave. This is how I remember the winters of my younger years! Maybe the snow was a little deeper but I am more than happy with what we've had!

Still want that band moving up to NW London to reach us before it moves away SE :wacko:

Posted

Just started again here, can't believe how much we've got today. Really sympathise with those who've been seriously caught out though today. Many of my friends have had horrific journeys and the A4 near to me is literally a car park at the moment.

Posted

Its very easy for those sat in their nice warm sitting room in front of their pc who really dont have to go anywhere far in the near future to want more snow or not feel for those who are stuck in traffic at the moment.

Truth is there are people who have to travel for work, to make sure that people are safe, to make sure that people have food over the next few weeks etc etc. There are people who would love to spend christmas with loved ones who may be living far away and there are the poor people who have been stuck in traffic for hours on end. Yes sure getting out and walking may seem like a good idea, some of these people MAY live too far to walk or for reasons like frailty or a disability cannot get out and simply walk. What would happen in the morning (should all these people be able to walk) got out of their cars, leaving them where they are and walked home??

I know some people are really excited about all this snow and I for one was one of them but now this is getting to be a more serious issue.

Sorry if this offends anyone

Janet

Yeah, I do wan't snow but I do feel bad for all the people stuck outside in their cars right now and people having to go to work (Me included!)

That should't offend anyone surely?

Posted

First day on here but i've been reading alot of posts from the same people on here for a while, feel like i know you all quite well. lol.

Band of snow very close to me and looking good, may skirt me but im off to bed as i have a very early start tomo.

Night all. Good luck with your snow!

Meso.

Ps. I think i may sleep with one eye open looking out the window!

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted

Sympathise Justinflavin it was bad enough when I went down to Sherborne St John mid afternoon. My good deed for the evening iinvolved a shovel and a lady in a car -- no tea though.

What part of the Basingstoke area are you in?

i live in the north of basingstoke - chineham.. a long walk on a normal day.

but on the plus side , it gave me an eye witness view of the utter chaos on the roads. i've never seen jams that big or that many cars abandoned in my 13 years of living here. was like walking through one of those "day after tommorow" disaster movies.

Posted

The thing is its going to snow regardless of wether were sat at our PCs or not. At least in this way we can be more informant to others who may be stuck in traffic jams, or give advice to neighbours who simply want to know what the weather is going to do tomorrow.

Its a sad fact that some people do and will get involved in nationwide events such as this, but thats inevitable. We cant expect our entire infastructure to grind to a halt simply to "bubble-wrap" everyone. All we can do is give advice, let people know whats coming and what to do in a emergency, and hope they never have to use it.

Posted

hey Whitefox. you in the UK now or Stateside. been rough in the states i read :wacko:

Flitting back and forth, though mainly the UK these days. Missed the big fall that just happened on the East Coast. Sounds almost as big as the February 2006 blizzard which I was lucky enough to witness! Still, at least I'm getting some fun back here. I know that it is causing some people a lot of problems, but we really need to learn how to deal with such conditions. For example, abandoning a vehicle is the worst thing you can do. In the states the advice is always to stay with your vehicle and await rescue. Run your engine for 20 minutes every hour to keep warm, and ensure that your exhaust is clear of snow. Under no circumstances abandon your vehicle. I know it's unlikely to happen here in the UK where we have a greater population density, but the argument is that a car provides shelter and you are more likely to found than if you wander off into a blizzard!

Also, people need to learn to use as high a gear as possible in snow. All lessons which were broadcast as part of public service broadcasting in the late 70s/80s, but which have been forgotten now...

Posted

First day on here but i've been reading alot of posts from the same people on here for a while, feel like i know you all quite well. lol.

Band of snow very close to me and looking good, may skirt me but im off to bed as i have a very early start tomo.

Night all. Good luck with your snow!

Meso.

Ps. I think i may sleep with one eye open looking out the window!

Hi and welcome Meso.

Where are you?? If you go into your profile you can add your location.