Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

its really fizzling out as it moves east. doesnt look like we're gonna get much out of this round here.

Posted

GFS 18Z shows in FI another cold period around 30th/31st Dec

Not sure where you got this from but the ensembles ; http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=ens;sess=

Are in agreement for +5 upper air temps so it looks unlikely. IMO we will se a renewed block around the 3rd Jan and we will get a 5 day cold snap from that.

Posted

its really fizzling out as it moves east. doesnt look like we're gonna get much out of this round here.

nope not looking likely, but temps still due to drop so ice will be a major hazard in the rush hour

Posted

nope not looking likely, but temps still due to drop so ice will be a major hazard in the rush hour

yep thats one good thing i suppose. temps have been hovering around 2/3c during the past few hours. made it very slushy, so if the temps drop then more of the lying snow will remain. theres still a lot left thankfully. only been a very slow thaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

just read the last feew pages on this forum and can not believe the ignorance of one or two particular people on here. If we get told that we 'might' see some snow/rain or sleet today do they honestltly think that everyone would just stay at home and let the country come to a standstill???

Of course if we did that then the posts would be that we cant handle driving in snow!!!!

being a forner Royal Marine who has spent many a winter in Norway, getting out of your vehicle and making your way on foot is not the most sensible thing to do unless your close enough to a safe warm place.

my thoughts are with those who are not home yet. Enough said

Alan

Posted

Is it worth me staying up?

never convinced staying up is a good idea. always think its either going to be great to see it in the morning, or not feel let down if there is nothing to see. just my opinion though :) if you want to stay up you can keep me company, i'm here til 0630 in the morning :lol:

Posted

Got some sleet in the city of London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Flitting back and forth, though mainly the UK these days. Missed the big fall that just happened on the East Coast. Sounds almost as big as the February 2006 blizzard which I was lucky enough to witness! Still, at least I'm getting some fun back here. I know that it is causing some people a lot of problems, but we really need to learn how to deal with such conditions. For example, abandoning a vehicle is the worst thing you can do. In the states the advice is always to stay with your vehicle and await rescue. Run your engine for 20 minutes every hour to keep warm, and ensure that your exhaust is clear of snow. Under no circumstances abandon your vehicle. I know it's unlikely to happen here in the UK where we have a greater population density, but the argument is that a car provides shelter and you are more likely to found than if you wander off into a blizzard!

Also, people need to learn to use as high a gear as possible in snow. All lessons which were broadcast as part of public service broadcasting in the late 70s/80s, but which have been forgotten now...

Very good points — we get (and pay for with our taxes) endless messages about smoke alarms and 5-a-day — hell they even have '5 a day coordinators :lol: but a bit of sensible advice tagged onto the weather forecast such as this above, no chance… no — this week was Copenhagen week and the BBC were determined to stick to their report schedule come hell or errrr snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

well im turning in now, hopefully wake up to a white out in the morning lol night all

Posted

its fizzled out into virtually nothing! hasn't actually reached here yet though...

Posted

There's more ppn coming up from the South in the direction of Hampshire, Berkshire & London