Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

interesting to know where exactly the warm sector is, ive just been looking at xc weather map and locations south of the band and most are at 0c to 3 c far from mild air really

and most temps to the north i.e us they are falling like stones right back down to freezing and below

Edited by james12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

interesting to know where exactly the warm sector is, ive just been looking at xc weather map and locations south of the band and most are at 0c to 3 c far from mild air really

3c would be rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think in this instance 1C will be rain. The wind is picking up here, and being by the coast that only means one thing..

Rocketing temperatures. Holding steadt at the moment at -0.3 though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

The band of ppn looks to me to be swerving more east ... the best of it might even miss me at this rate.

Temp was -0.7c but is now up to 0.4c probably as the cloud above is thickening

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

i know 3c would be rain, but most are 1 or 2 even less, the air with the system is not mild at all and if the temps lifted to 1 or 2 here it would still be snow mainly :angry:

Posted

I think in this instance 1C will be rain. The wind is picking up here, and being by the coast that only means one thing..

Rocketing temperatures. Holding steadt at the moment at -0.3 though

Keeps flucuating between -0.1c and -0.2c here.... I have a gut feeling it's going to rain...

Posted

Keeps flucuating between -0.1c and -0.2c here.... I have a gut feeling it's going to rain...

wind dirtection easterly so thats better direction to have near the west as its off a cold land mass

Posted

wind dirtection easterly so thats better direction to have near the west as its off a cold land mass

It is, so why is my temperature flucuating? Cloud above is very hazy and shouldn't be impacting my temp!

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

It is, so why is my temperature flucuating? Cloud above is very hazy and shouldn't be impacting my temp!

fluctuation is bound to occur, take shap went to -3 and then back up to -2 but still cold, be thankful we dont get that westerly which would take our temps up to 3 or 4 again

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Looking on raintoday, the band is readily turning from rain to sleet just south of Birmingham.

Temp dropped slightly to -0.2c here. Going to be very marginal I think. Few hours later would be much more favourable.

Posted

Negative vibe alert im afraid!

I was feeling very confident but the temps are rising in advance of the front and that can only mean 1 thing

when the fronts is still 4o miles away.

Wintry mix at best i reckon tonight,but im not complaining we have had a memorable cold spell here.

:)

:p

Whats your location?

Posted

-0.7 here now keep falling!!

Posted

It's the air swinging around the system, it will fluctuate a lot until it moves through bringing the cold air in from behind it.

Posted

It's the air swinging around the system, it will fluctuate a lot until it moves through bringing the cold air in from behind it.

Oh I see - Just hoping that it doesnt fluctuate above freezing.

-0.2c atm. Im sure if we can manage -1.0c it will stay as snow throught!

Posted

Negative vibe alert im afraid!

I was feeling very confident but the temps are rising in advance of the front and that can only mean 1 thing

when the fronts is still 4o miles away.

Wintry mix at best i reckon tonight,but im not complaining we have had a memorable cold spell here.

:)

:p

but sleet and snow is clearly shown on ppn charts how high is your temp? most north are under clear skies now, and dropping very fast

-0.9c now DP -2c hope the band still heads north and not go to far east

Posted

0.0c now and rising under a little bit of cloud... Looks like rain :) :) :)

Posted

Not 100% sure about how accurate the precipitation type is on the radar. I had the Net Weather radar on earlier today and it said heavy snow over us but it was in fact heavy rain. I'd suggest a bit of caution. The advantage tonight is many of us have snow already on the ground, should help to cool things down a bit. If it is going to sleet/rain though i'd obviously prefer it didn't happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Manny Airport TAF is updated says Sleet to Freezing Rain to moderate snow if im reading it correctly then fog and freezing fog.

TAF EGCC 231702Z 2318/2424 11006KT 9999 FEW030

BECMG 2319/2322 6000 -RASN BKN012 PROB30

TEMPO 2319/2321 3000 FZRA

TEMPO 2320/2324 1000 SN BKN001 PROB40 2400/2411 1200 BR BKN001

BECMG 2411/2414 NSW SCT012

BECMG 2417/2420 2000 BR BKN002 PROB30 2420/2424 0200 FG FZFG VV///

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Temperature is falling quite fast here now, -0.5C under cloud, must be snow later

Posted

0.0c now and rising under a little bit of cloud... Looks like rain :) :) :)

0c still good for snow even if you make 1c or 2c your ok i would think, as cooling will take place as ppn falls imo hence met office saying rain/sleet turning to snow!! well lets hope so even so there will be more snow inland definately topping up the foot or so in parts of cumbria mainly the south of the county

Edited by james12

Posted

Temperature is falling quite fast here now, -0.5C under cloud, must be snow later

Stephen, you've just boosted my confidence.

0.0c here now... Surely it must drop soon...

0c still good for snow even if you make 1c or 2c your ok i would think, as cooling will take place as ppn falls imo hence met office saying rain/sleet turning to snow!! well lets hope so even so there will be more snow inland definately topping up the foot or so in parts of cumbria mainly the south of the county

Here's hoping mate.... here's hoping.

Posted

I'd check the sighting of your thermometer because a few time now there a guy on UKWW in Runcorn who records consistently lower than you, by a matter of whole degrees. even an area the size of Runcorn should only differ at most by 0.5 to 0.8C.

-0.6C now, so I imagine -2C is easily achievable before the rainband.

Posted

Not that we've got an option BUT is there anyone who would prefer the front to stall South of the region to preserve current snowcover?

Or take the risk for a nice top up of fresh snow?