Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted

GOing to be very marginal for most of us tonight!

Places over 250 -300m should be ok id have thought but a mix of rain/sleet/snow look odds on for most of us.

Hopefully the system moves more NE keeping it clearer over the NW.

I agree!

Are you having much in the way of thaw today?

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

The only thaw in Oldham east is where the grit has been layed and its above 1c and sunny smile.gif

Btw, on my way to work last night there were difts as high as my chest a bit futher up from me which was nice to see, and the amount of abandond cars in the area was rediculus. Some people never learn !

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Our inch of hail hasnt thawed at all apart from in the sun!

2.7c and VERY icy.

Temperature should start RAPIDLY falling away now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

wow 5c reached !!! barmy will start to drop off now fast under clear skies and retreating sun!! anyone zoomed in on NW england forecast on met office? they have dark cloud with snow over cumbria most of tomorrow?!

plus my town forecast on there has snow from 6am to 6pm?! never

Posted

wow 5c reached !!! barmy will start to drop off now fast under clear skies and retreating sun!! anyone zoomed in on NW england forecast on met office? they have dark cloud with snow over cumbria most of tomorrow?!

plus my town forecast on there has snow from 6am to 6pm?! never

I was thinking the same.....is the temp due to be a lot colder tomorrow ...because if its not any precip will dfinatly be rain here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

NWE England, narrows it down doesn't it :cc_confused: hehe sorry.

As for the starting as rain, there's no way it's going to start as rain here, its currently 2.1C with a dewpoint of -2C. Snow all the way!

Posted

I was thinking the same.....is the temp due to be a lot colder tomorrow ...because if its not any precip will dfinatly be rain here

max of about 2-3c shown for tomorrow but 0c if you have snow cover and maybe 4 or 5 near the coast

met office flash for heavy snow only cumbria listed with depths

Edited by james12

Posted

have a quick look at wales cold spell discussion, heavy snow falling widely !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

1.1c was the max here today and is currently -0.5c bring on teh PPN !drinks.gif

heh? meto just says snow for cumbria .. icey stretches for the rest of us lol ooops . It does look like that huge band of ppn is becoming organised and heady NE over us though :drinks:

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Max temp of 1c just north of Bury, slight thaw in the sun.

Winter wonderland walking on Holcombe Moor today, snow covered hills in all directions. Sensational

Cloud veil now visible to the south. Current temp is -0.2c, hope it can cool down a bit more before the cloud comes in.

I'm not sure elevation will be the be all and end all tonight. Relatively mild uppers overriding cold surface layers will give shallow lapse rates. So it will be about intensity of ppn, exact wind direction and strength etc, e.g. sheltered valleys normally do well in such situations as the "cold pool" remains in situ.

Fingers crossed some of us see some more snow.

Posted

the wind is going to swing to east so it should keep the mild sea air away and warm sectors!! hoping it carries on pushing north and intensifying

Posted

the wind is going to swing to east so it should keep the mild sea air away and warm sectors!! hoping it carries on pushing north and intensifying

That's good news. A light easterly wind off the snow covered Peninnes should keep the cold surface layers over all our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm sure a warm sector will have our name on it, from the south :crazy::crazy:

I think for most it'll be snow, I cant really see much in the way of rain except at the immediate coast.

Posted

temp falling now 5c at 1430 its now 3.4c and shap is now -2.6c from 0.7c an hour ago!!

Edited by james12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Went out at about 3pm to a temp of 2.2c

Came back just now and it's 0.6c!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Wonderful day today, clear blue skies, light winds and cold! just managed a second ice day today, max -0.2°C. Went up to Dovestones again today and it's fantastic up there, it looks like the swiss alps only not as tall lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

-2c here in the higher part of Wigan , 0c at lower levels, not been much of a thaw today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Been avoiding looking at forecast incase they say rain, but it seems we might have more snow on the way tonight! good grief! :drinks:

Posted

Charts have the feature 50/50 over the region. With a Cold Front the further West you are and a Warm front the further East. MetO brings the sector into a Occluded front passing into the Pennine region however overnight, levelling out the temperatures. It'll just be a case of hoping the Warm Sector doesnt influence the the region too much.

Posted

Nice out today, feling cold and with vast majority of snow cover intact, little melt at all.

Only drawback to this cold spell is that the weight of snow/ice has caused plastic a drainpipe to pull away from my house, pulling down a large piece of wood cladding which is now lying in the garden :drinks: