Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted

Nice to see some of you guys have done so well today! Have to admit it was a pretty painful afternoon watching all those showers passing so close to the north. There were even some impressive anvils! Aah well our 0.5cm skittering is still safe out of the sun :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

They're no where near us, and the wind isn't northerly, how can they possibly hit us?

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

They're no where near us, and the wind isn't northerly, how can they possibly hit us?

If you play the animation in the met office link you'll see that the movement of the front is southeastwards. According to the bbc forecast it should reach Manchester just before dawn, although weaken as it does so.

In reality, we don't want this band to reach us as it is unlikely to produce snow on low ground. So better stay clear and frosty!

Karyo

Posted

Manchester Airport goes snow showers and sleet and snow for tomorrow night

long-TAF: EGCC 222304Z 2300/2406 19010KT 9999 FEW035 PROB30 TEMPO 2302/2306 3000 SHSN BKN012 BECMG 2322/2401 09006KT BKN008 TEMPO 2323/2404 5000 RASN PROB30 TEMPO 2323/2404 1800 SN BKN004

Temporary

from 23 at 02 UTC to 23 at 06 UTC

Visibility 3000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft

snow showers

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

If you play the animation in the met office link you'll see that the movement of the front is southeastwards. According to the bbc forecast it should reach Manchester just before dawn, although weaken as it does so.

In reality, we don't want this band to reach us as it is unlikely to produce snow on low ground. So better stay clear and frosty!

Karyo

I see, this wasn't forecast. :crazy:

If it hits here, i hope it gives more hail! already got an inch of it. I LOVE HAIL!

Posted

I see, this wasn't forecast. :)

If it hits here, i hope it gives more hail! already got an inch of it. I LOVE HAIL!

We've had a lovely afternoon walking in the hail left by our 'blizzard' around 2 - 3 pm. The dogs ate, rolled and peed in it (yellow graupel?!)

Tonight it has gone rock hard and is crunchy underfoot and icy on the roads. It might not be snow but we have really enjoyed having it and are hoping it will be cold enough for it to stay around a bit longer. It is funny though how it's actually been warmer today and tonight than the days we didn't get anything!

Posted

Manchester Airport goes snow showers and sleet and snow for tomorrow night

long-TAF: EGCC 222304Z 2300/2406 19010KT 9999 FEW035 PROB30 TEMPO 2302/2306 3000 SHSN BKN012 BECMG 2322/2401 09006KT BKN008 TEMPO 2323/2404 5000 RASN PROB30 TEMPO 2323/2404 1800 SN BKN004

Temporary

from 23 at 02 UTC to 23 at 06 UTC

Visibility 3000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft

snow showers

Yes, the latest bbc24 forecasts also mentioned that the band of precipitation will turn to snow tomorrow night from Midlands northwards.

I do expect however, to lose some of its intensity over us which might make it more marginal.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Whats this I hear about a band of precipitation moving south?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

has anyone noticed the band moving south over scotland, its got cumbria name all over it although the southern uplands may take the energy out of it...the met office issued warning at 0544am for the borders so we maybe next? roads frozen over here with black ice

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Very cold and icy here and we still got our snow from yesterday,lets see what today brings.cold.gif

Posted

I came home early yesterday and managed to capture this picture just before it got dark, its still all there this morning but today there is some wind and its drifting around.

post-2539-12615509674313_thumb.jpg

Posted

Despite not dropping below freezing last night (currently 0.2C) there appears to have been an fresh inch on the ground, although a fair bit would have been lost overnight due to the temperatures. I'd say there's still 4 inches though.

Posted

Say's it's 1c here, which can't be right, because there's a very hard frost that I have to lift off from the car before going to work. Feel like a lot under zero to be honest. I wonder if we'll get any of that snow moving up from the south tonight?

After that I think it's set to get a little milder with so thawing under way.

Posted

There has been quire a lot of snow melt overnight, must have had rain/sleet here. But we are in the middle of quite a hefty hail/snow shower at the moment and it looks as though another streamer has set itself up right over the top of us again. Whats the chances of this staying as snow/hail ? i thought it was going to warm up !

Posted

Hi guys cant believe this a further inch overnight, i have just measured outside and we are closing in on the magical foot of snow. Currently 10.5 inches at 500ft.

The western yorkshire dales are sure looking really pretty at the moment, but overnight temps no lower than 0c and a slow thaw seems to starting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Sale was frozen, so is Salford Quays and there is stunning dawn over the Peak District from my office...

Posted

Lovely sun rise over rivington winter hill now but to my west there are big black clouds heading to-wards Preston.

Posted

-7 last night, will need to confirm this at the weather station at work. amazing considering how much temperatures have risen just north of here last night. I am glas none of the cloud reached here last night and we stayed clear and frosty

Posted

It was Heather Stott who had the head shaved not Diane Oxbury, i quite like Diane Oxbury :whistling: but she is a mild ramper though

Damn and blast, that's what half a bottle of shiraz does to you!

Anyway back to the here and now, temps stayed above freezing here last night, resulting in a continuing slow thaw. Just had a light snow/hail shower, but wouldn't be surprised to find any showers today, falling as rain/sleet.

Posted

A very short lived spell of light snow last night, however, with temperatures above freezing the snow was thawing so this morning we have less snow about - BBC were wrong withe there suggestion of mins of -3/-4 degrees, the sky has only just cleared in the past hour.

Its a shame because the snow is looking very wet and slushy.

The day is looking a nice fine sunny one expecting temps to nudge up to 2 degrees so further thaw likely. Overnight is looking very interesting as unlike previous nights we look like getting a clear few hours allowing temps to drop well below freezing and then we have the front hitting the cold air - right side of marginal for snow tomorrow I say..

Off to work now, hard to concentrate must say with the weather and christmas - its going to be an early finish I feel.

Posted

A very short lived spell of light snow last night, however, with temperatures above freezing the snow was thawing so this morning we have less snow about - BBC were wrong withe there suggestion of mins of -3/-4 degrees, the sky has only just cleared in the past hour.

Its a shame because the snow is looking very wet and slushy.

The day is looking a nice fine sunny one expecting temps to nudge up to 2 degrees so further thaw likely. Overnight is looking very interesting as unlike previous nights we look like getting a clear few hours allowing temps to drop well below freezing and then we have the front hitting the cold air - right side of marginal for snow tomorrow I say..

Off to work now, hard to concentrate must say with the weather and christmas - its going to be an early finish I feel.

I must say barring Sunday, the bbc forecasts have been way off the mark.