Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Me and my mum just got stuck on thick ice on the road leading to my house. No thaw at all today apart from on roofs, despite hitting 2.8c.

Posted

Hello NW.

Great day today, hardly any melt.

Seems the front is moving on an axis say Bristol to Hull with snow the leading edge, we should get something out of this by say, 18.00hrs.

Also the 12z is showing something for the 25th.

Have to say how poor the BBC NW forecasts have been, oh bring back Jo Blyth!

Seriously they didn't forecast anything until it was too late.

Posted

1.1c was the max here today and is currently -0.5c bring on teh PPN !drinks.gif

heh? meto just says snow for cumbria .. icey stretches for the rest of us lol ooops . It does look like that huge band of ppn is becoming organised and heady NE over us though :p

I'd rather the PPN stall for a while over Wales and allow temps to drop more. It's a mere 3-4 hours before it hits and it's only 0.5c. The warm sector will give temps a massive kick in the head, i'm not too sure it's going to be snow.

Posted

It'll be interesting to watch this area of ppn arrive into our area, providing it penetrates the Nantwich snowshield of course. It's frozen solid out there right now with the frost from last night, and current temp of 0.5.

Edited by Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

0.3C now and dropping fast, could drop to as low as -2 or -3C before the PPN band comes in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

i think this feature will cause some more surprises for many in the region, as earlier today it was forecast to be light and patchy and move more of a NE direction and not affecting us in the NW to much, however its has intensified and moving NNE with fairly long but narrow band, i think it may break up as it comes up and especially hitting the pennines but there will be snowfall in many areas.

interesting to see the met office forecasting rain/sleet turing to snow, im sure the temps will be low enough for it to fall as snow from start maybe hail also, DP's are falling and below freezing for most now, wonder how far west the warm sector will get....stay away!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Wonderful day today, clear blue skies, light winds and cold! just managed a second ice day today, max -0.2°C. Went up to Dovestones again today and it's fantastic up there, it looks like the swiss alps only not as tall lol.

Dovestones is probably the most gorgeous place in the oldham/ saddleworth area with out a doubt but Ive never in my life seen it in winter especially with all the snow usually becuase its in accessable for most of us in this weather. Next time you go try and take some pics if you have time mate.

The next best place would be Buckstones resevoir and Pingot quarry. The beauty of it is the waterfall with rock pool and stream. Ill really need to buy a decent camera and take some piccies up there and of the panoramic view of Rochdale round towards ashton.

Posted

0.3C now and dropping fast, could drop to as low as -2 or -3C before the PPN band comes in

Should i de-activate the anti-snow sheild Stephen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

well if you do you'll have to be sure to deactivate the 7 others as well.

Posted

well if you do you'll have to be sure to deactivate the 7 others as well.

Okay, will do!

May take a while, and will take 26 men, but it's do-able :p

Anyway, you expecting any snow tonight?

Posted

Yes I think it'll snow tonight here anyway, I just cant imagine freezing rain at the moment.

Posted

The good news is the Precip band is turning to Sleet already on its Northern Edge as it begins to hit the Cold air, further south than the Beeb were forecasting it to be. Which means the Cold Pooling will be already underway and places even further south than than Northwest could be seeing some of the Wintry stuff soon.

Posted

I don't know what to expect, because so many times have I witnessed a MASSIVE temperature rise before the band hits.

0.2c out there now, it's dropping really fast, but i think it's going to have to hit -2c for snow to be guarenteed. :p .

Posted

Any idea on what time this will happen?

because i'm in Birchwood at the moment

Later on maybe about 7-8pm?

In Birkenhead I imagine it'll be rain

Posted

Met has changed the warnings for heavy snow for all of the north west not just cumbria.drinks.gif

edit: no it hasn't...sorry. read the wrong thing.

Later on maybe about 7-8pm?

In Birkenhead I imagine it'll be rain

Really?

diablo.gif

Edited by Never snows where i live

Posted

what a brilliant cold snowy day today. rose just above freezing at 11.30am before dropping back again currently hovering around freezing or just below. No thaw at all today, snow too powdery to make snowballs with quite a depth after yesterday afternoon's heavy fall.

Posted

0.0c here. Band already turned to snow as it hit North Wales. :drinks: .

Posted

I have been watching this band of snow / rain visually for the last couple of hours, it looks like a lightning storm.

I'm guessing it will hit my area some time tonight between 8 and 10 pm.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Just hit 0c here - not sure about the temp history as I have not got the sation connectd to the PC.

Looks to be hitting my area arount 7:30ish - how much do you all think that the temp is going to drop before then, as in celcius per hour?

Chris

Posted

Anyone have any idea where the warm sector is atm?

As you can see from the image attached, the front isnt far away!!

-0.1c atm.

post-8895-12615862766413_thumb.png

Posted

Wonderful day today, clear blue skies, light winds and cold! just managed a second ice day today, max -0.2°C. Went up to Dovestones again today and it's fantastic up there, it looks like the swiss alps only not as tall lol.

Dovestones is great in winter, the route up to Chew Resevoir (via Chew Road) can be an epic one when there is a fair bit of snow on the ground - brilliant when you do eventually reach the top though. As for todays weather here clear and cold sums it up - just hope there is no rain / sleet tonight or tomorrow.

Posted

Met has changed the warnings for heavy snow for all of the north west not just cumbria.

edit: no it hasn't...sorry. read the wrong thing.

It has updated to all of the north west now, it is mainly for icy roads though the snowfall is referenced.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/