Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Can't say I'm impressed tbh, the GFS is wrong, if it was right the band should have stalled over us but instead it's tracking further and further north. If it had we would have so much snow.

Light snow atm.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad it happened and am happy with the snow we got, but it could have been so much more.

Edit: If the GFS is correct it looks like the PPN over the north west will pivot back.

-0.7ºc and light snow falling. It looks great out there. It's just a shame this lot couldn't have arrived 48 hours later than it has.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I've almost completely given up on beating the 1995 Leeds freeze event. Would've been nice for this event to have delivered more but it's early days yet and I have a renewed optimism for January, February and March.

All in all, this cold spell has proved to me that an old school winter is still possible. Also, for the first time ever in my life there looks to be a decent amount of snow remaining on the ground for Christmas Day.

Posted

You were getting freezing rain at -5.7? Is this even possible? I don't know, just asking, I've seen it fall for a couple of hours at -1, turning the place into a skating rink. Is your thermometer under-reading?

No not under reading. Valley location, so it collects the cold air! Has now risen to -0.4 with a fresh 1cm of snow now over the ice. Awful road conditions.

Posted

It may pivot back in to Leeds, not the PPN to the north of us now, but the PPN over the north west.

That would be nice, but towards the end of the heavy snow my temp rised to -0.4c, its now -0.9C as its clearing. Who knows, in the end for me atleast it may have turned sleety and ruined the accumulation

Posted

I've almost completely given up on beating the 1995 Leeds freeze event. Would've been nice for this event to have delivered more but it's early days yet and I have a renewed optimism for January, February and March.

All in all, this cold spell has proved to me that an old school winter is still possible. Also, for the first time ever in my life there looks to be a decent amount of snow remaining on the ground for Christmas Day.

Aye - Burn's Night 1995. Watching the 655 buses advance a grand total of 15 yards over 4 hours through Headingley. Not quite that, but a good top up before the big day.

Posted

That would be nice, but towards the end of the heavy snow my temp rose to -0.4c, its now -0.9C as its clearing. Who knows, in the end for me atleast it may have turned sleety and ruined the accumulation

Elevation is key as ever, at 80m ASL the temp in Leeds was -1.1c and and rose to a max of -0.7 (briefly). Its -1.1c now, and -2.2c here.

Edit: Verging on to moderate snow, whats going on?

Edited by 10123

Posted

Elevation is key as ever, at 80m ASL the temp in Leeds was -1.1c and and rose to a max of -0.7 (briefly). Its -1.1c now, and -2.2c here.

Ye, the temperature rise wouldnt have mattered too much to you. Although I think people around the leeds city centre are lucky its cleared, just before the snow could have turned sleety.

Posted

It stopped, but now it's started again, at least lightly here in north leeds.

Posted

Nowt falling here, thought the sky is still peachy coloured. (Used to be pinky-orange but since the demise of orange streetlights, it's changed lol)

Looks like daylight on my CCTV camera. I do love it when there's snow.

Posted

Nowt falling here, thought the sky is still peachy coloured. (Used to be pinky-orange but since the demise of orange streetlights, it's changed lol)

Nice covering on those motors - stopped here, too.

Posted

post-7734-12616136813313_thumb.jpgpost-7734-12616136569913_thumb.jpgpost-7734-12616136172413_thumb.jpgpost-7734-12616135971213_thumb.jpgpost-7734-12616135786913_thumb.jpgpost-7734-12616135556613_thumb.jpgpost-7734-12616135333113_thumb.jpg

We have done really well out of this tonight

hopefully it will still be here on Christmas Day

post-7734-12616135066913_thumb.jpg

First time I have uploaded so sorry if it looks a mess

See pictures above for depth 1" more than happy............

Edited by fazzafarrand

Posted

Evening all, back from pub, drunk, had about 1inch of snow....nice top up, 8" now, i'll measure first thing!

I hope Pennine Ten Foot Drifts has drift pics from Scapegoat Hill, 2metre drifts up there on my way to work this morning.....On my side of the road haha. quality.

Edited by disco-barry

Posted

I doubt we'll get anymore snow tonight. Roll on the next batch of PPN :drinks:

On that note, i'm off to :):)

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

Right I'm finally off, decided to stay up to see if the showers coming from the south are snow and they are in Manchester so they will be In Leeds, so I'm happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

currently we have huge flakes falling, would say theres a couple of inch of new stuff on the garden, although on the stuff that has been melted and pavements there is slightly less. supposed to be fetching father in law over from rotherham today ..oops

Edited by honeyplanet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

this is what I woke to.. :whistling:post-8288-12616369238813_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Good morning everyone.

Current Temp is -0.1ºc with an overnight low of -1ºc

Current DP is -1.54ºc

Woke up to it snowing this morning. Looks like around 1 to 1 & half inch of snow has fallen overnight, and it's still going :cold:

Pic attached shows the area where the car was parked overnight. My other half left at 7am and this photo was took around 7:20! There was no snow on top of the fence posts before it started last night.

post-9352-12616393815313_thumb.jpg