Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Well that was an unexpected suprise! Here in Wortley, just a couple of miles from the city centre we had about an inch, turning slightly patchy since last Thursday. Last night gave about an inch abut this rather large shower that has just moved through our great city had deposited another one and a half inche's. The dog is loving it, going mental in the snow. Boxer dogs do great impressions of Kangaroos!

Hope everyone has a great Chrimbo Eve.

Craig.

How much lying snow have you got?

Posted

The temp is 2c here, which is the highest it's been for about a week.Plenty of snow still but a thaw is taking place :D

Sorry to hear about that mate :D Because of the snowfall we had yesterday, and now this-mornings, my snow cover is back to how it was a couple of days ago

Posted

This is what it is like in Leeds center http://www.leeds.gov.uk/popup.html , the big patch square patch with less snow is where they put down salt.

Not trying to show of but..... Leeds doesn't get mild blum.gifhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2535

Accumulating snow in the city centre is rarer than hens teeth, Only ever seen it a couple of times and was mainly quite a slushy covering!

Edit, looks like that second batch of heavy snow to the south west may reach us two! :D

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Just about to go to work one of the worst days of the year, in the Service Engineer's calendar. 10am-9pm driving round South Yorks fixing machines in pubs. *Shudders*

Anyway, I woke up with an extra inch or 2 this morning. Was a real surprise and i've updated my webcam. Also took more pictures but don't have time to upload them till tonight.

I'd say total depth is 3-4 inches, on par with February's event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

How much lying snow have you got?

We have about 3 inch's down on the ground now. Off out with the dog in 10 mins or so. Will try to get a few pics up when I get back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just had a horrendous drive from home to work in East Leeds. Battle to get out of the village, various cars stuck or abandoned, M62 down to two lanes, or even one lane in a few places. Journey took me nearly two hours, when normally when the traffic's this light it would be about 40 mins. Nightmare.

Lying snow where it hasn't been disturbed must be getting on for 8-10 inches now, I shall have to try and measure it properly because it's getting into the 'memorable' category now.

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted

Sorry to hear about that mate :D Because of the snowfall we had yesterday, and now this-mornings, my snow cover is back to how it was a couple of days ago

Never mind mate.There's been snow on the ground for a week and it's a fantastic start to winter.I'll be suprised if it's all melted by tomorrow.

Posted

Never mind mate.There's been snow on the ground for a week and it's a fantastic start to winter.I'll be suprised if it's all melted by tomorrow.

Yeah, that's how I feel. As long as there's snow cover, I won't be too bothered if it doesn't snow on Xmas day it-self. :drinks:

Posted

Heavy snow again here Pudsey.

Off work today ansd building snowmen with the kids.

Will try and post pics later.

Will keep an eye on the raintoday radar. aka snowtoday radar.

sweet that shud be on its way to me soon :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Just been for a little stroll along the road here, after last night and the slightly unexpected heavy snow earlier :clap:

*now* I'm starting to feel all christmassy :drinks:

Temps have risen to +0.1º, DP is -1.24º

It's also getting really foggy here now.

post-9352-12616471306613_thumb.jpg

post-9352-12616471374613_thumb.jpg

post-9352-12616471440113_thumb.jpg

post-9352-12616471497413_thumb.jpg

Posted

Accumulating snow in the city center is rarer than hens teeth, Only ever seen it a couple of times and was mainly quite a slushy covering!

Edit, looks like that second batch of heavy snow to the south west may reach us two! smile.gif

I used to think it was really rare, but Leeds center had snow cover on Brigate (main shopping street) on Monday Night which I was really shocked by, there was around 3-4cm of hard compact snow. The center usually gets snow when we get it but considerably less even though parts of the center go up to 80m. I have seen a snow plow type machine on the paths which kills of the snow.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Just had a horrendous drive from home to work in East Leeds. Battle to get out of the village, various cars stuck or abandoned, M62 down to two lanes, or even one lane in a few places. Journey took me nearly two hours, when normally when the traffic's this light it would be about 40 mins. Nightmare.

Lying snow where it hasn't been disturbed must be getting on for 8-10 inches now, I shall have to try and measure it properly because it's getting into the 'memorable' category now.

Did you see the drifts up by you yesterday? Deeper than my car on the top road and further towards the motorway the whole length of open road was my cars depth covering my whole side of the road.

This IS memorable, i hope your taking photos!

Posted

Just done a quick measurment of the snow-

Ground- 14cm

Grass- 19cm

That is a result!

Edit: And it snowing again with big flakes!

Edited by 10123

Posted

Snow beginning to turn to light sleet here cray.gif

Edit: Forget that - there's big, fat flakes falling once again

Not more snow for you again!nonono.gif

Don't think I can count how many times you've been pasted through this spell!

You are very lucky, how much fresh snow have you got?

Snow getting heavier big flakes as well!!!

Edited by 10123

Posted

Not more snow for you again!nonono.gif

Don't think I can count how many times you've been pasted through this spell!

You are very lucky, how much fresh snow have you got?

Snow getting heavier big flakes as well!!!

Yes, I've done remarkably well from this cold spell. I'd say that I had around 3-4cms last-night, and around 2cms this-morning. :)

Posted

well ive just noticed that all the heavy ppn early in the morning just missed here! so that kinda dampers the luck once again! would of been nice to have more snow. Any how still got a nice covering and temp is staying at 1.5c and very very foggy! so i cant imagine this snow melting at all now! it has turned slight wetsnow wise and the snow on cars has come off but cant complain as this is xmas eve and very nice to see :)

Posted

Snow has stopped, but it appears to be turning rather misty

could you do me a favour mate, i want to change my user name because ive had it since 2004 lol