Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

OMG I cant believe it, by the looks of it 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and it's snowing heavy outside!!

Posted

Still snowing heavy, big suprise for the Leeds area.

Posted

Amazing guys and gals. Considering we are only (albeit some distance in terms of ppn, and elevation as well) about 50 miles away from some of you, looks like we missed out again on the good stuff.

I guess it might be you lot that are classified as the 'North Midlands'.

Sometimes I wish I still lived in Sheffield (and also Wilmslow on the n/w thread too).

Posted

The snow is deeper that the Feb 2nd/3rd snow event that we had 20cm in total.

So far:

-Harrogate train station Closed

-Leeds Airport Closed

-All major routes in to Leeds have snow on

-Leeds center has deep snow as well

Belting it down! biggrin.gif temperature 0.0C

How much snow do you have?

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I am in Leeds for Xmas.......wow! Absolute winter wonderland out there, still moderate snow, a good 4inches has fallen on a pretty substantial existing base. I am actually just up from headingly, the added elevation is certainly making a difference!

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Wasn't expecting to get much snow as the radar when I went to bed seemed to indicate it was dying out in the west, but we have had at least 5cm's of it - in fact must be more as we are now past the foot mark against one of the doors.

If we don't have a mild spell and that new Years storm happens then we will need rescuing at this rate:cold: :) :)

Posted

I think we are near that point here too now, snowing pretty heavily now....This morning I will take photos and measure my depth. Sadly i am going to Preston later today for Christmas so rest assured there will be now snow.

I'm not very worried about the rise in temperatures this weekend as it looks extremely likely we will be in a north easterly come Monday.

Amazing weather this is.

Posted

The snow is deeper that the Feb 2nd/3rd snow event that we had 20cm in total.

So far:

-Harrogate train station Closed

-Leeds Airport Closed

-All major routes in to Leeds have snow on

-Leeds center has deep snow as well

How much snow do you have?

Not measured yet, but Id estimate around 7/8cm. Still belting down, probably at a rate of 1.5 inches/hour :)

Just goes to show what difference a bit of altitude makes :)

Edit temp now 0.1C oooo knife edge stuff

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

I am in Leeds for Xmas.......wow! Absolute winter wonderland out there, still moderate snow, a good 4inches has fallen on a pretty substantial existing base. I am actually just up from headingly, the added elevation is certainly making a difference!

Haha, you are very lucky, now you know what the north has to put up with, and the news hasn't once mentioned it.

Posted

Glad you guys got an extra topping, rain at all times, snow is rapidly melting, temp is 2.8c here and has not got below freezing all night since 8pm last night.

But it'll be our turn next week from a N/NE'rly.

You guys in Leeds owe us about 4-5 inches don't you :)?

Posted

Not measured yet, but Id estimate around 7/8cm. Still belting down, probably at a rate of 1.5 inches/hour biggrin.gif

Just goes to show what difference a bit of altitude makes smile.gif

Edit temp now 0.1C oooo knife edge stuff

I think youre weather station may be wrong, because I'm looking at the Leeds traffic cams and the one in Leeds ceter shows it snowing with snow on the roads.

Posted

Great to wake up to about an extra 2 inch of snow this morning ( probably more ) , got to work for 6am about a mile out of the city centre and cleared our car park , since then we have had about another inch covering !!

Just stopped snowing now , cant wait to get back home this afty and have a play in it , lol I dont really see much in the way of a thaw before the big day .... Christmas day with 4 inch of lying snow , couldnt ask for more !

** Seasons Greeting to All **

Posted

Absolutely fantastic couple of hours what a big surprise after last night's events - a good 4 or 5 inches. And to think I was getting a bit miffed about losing out last weekend!

Posted

This is what it is like in Leeds center http://www.leeds.gov.uk/popup.html , the big patch square patch with less snow is where they put down salt.

Not trying to show of but..... Leeds doesn't get mild blum.gifhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2535

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

Well that was an unexpected suprise! Here in Wortley, just a couple of miles from the city centre we had about an inch, turning slightly patchy since last Thursday. Last night gave about an inch abut this rather large shower that has just moved through our great city had deposited another one and a half inche's. The dog is loving it, going mental in the snow. Boxer dogs do great impressions of Kangaroos!

Hope everyone has a great Chrimbo Eve.

Craig.